Noob Bending Amnesty Question Thread (lots of merged threads)

Briso

I have no personal experience with them yet, but A few benders I know have suggested speedy metals and metals depot.

10 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I have no personal experience with them yet, but A few benders I know have suggested speedy metals and metals depot.

Shipping can be a bit high from them sometimes. 

3 hours ago, KRC said:

Can we assume from this that you're currently training??

Bending? No not much these days but I still get drill rod for some fabrication projects that justify it. And I did get my drillrod from them when I was still bending. 

• Like 1

Here ya go 

https://store.diesupplies.com/mobile/precision-marshall-ground-flat-stock-and-drill-rod-c41.aspx?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=T&Category_Code=PM

this is the only place to buy drill rod IMO. Speedy metals is inconsistant and high shipping. 

Edited by EJ Livesey
More info
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, acorn said:

Bending? No not much these days but I still get drill rod for some fabrication projects that justify it. And I did get my drillrod from them when I was still bending. 

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.  

14 hours ago, EJ Livesey said:

Here ya go 

https://store.diesupplies.com/mobile/precision-marshall-ground-flat-stock-and-drill-rod-c41.aspx?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=T&Category_Code=PM

this is the only place to buy drill rod IMO. Speedy metals is inconsistant and high shipping. 

Great, thanks man.  They're even directly promoting Precision Marshall.  I'll use them for my next order. 

21 hours ago, wobbler said:

How's shipping cost from McMaster (approx % of order cost if you just buy rod?) What's the most economical length including shipping, 3ft?

Shipping was $7.89 for a $110 order, or 7.2%.  Pretty reasonable to me, and that's to a rural address.  And it's all coming in one box, at one time.  Grainger would send enormous boxes for each bar ordered as they became available, despite requesting shipping all in one delivery. 

19 hours ago, acorn said:

Shipping can be a bit high from them sometimes. 

Very true, I do not have the ability to cut my pieces, so I priced a bunch of 1/4 CRS  at 7,6 and 5" and it was about 18-20 bucks shipping. I wish I could find a better place to grab stock that's local. I like scrolling and I want to get a bunch of flat pieces for projects I've been doodling up.

1 hour ago, KapMan said:

Very true, I do not have the ability to cut my pieces, so I priced a bunch of 1/4 CRS  at 7,6 and 5" and it was about 18-20 bucks shipping. I wish I could find a better place to grab stock that's local. I like scrolling and I want to get a bunch of flat pieces for projects I've been doodling up.

Why can't you cut your own pieces? Use a cheap bolt cutter or hacksaw. File the edges down with a basic file.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KapMan said:

Try metal supermarket. There is probably one near you.

Fasten al was always great for me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sean Cashman said:

Why can't you cut your own pieces? Use a cheap bolt cutter or hacksaw. File the edges down with a basic file.

Because I'm stupid and didn't think to do that, no clue why. I have a dremel with wheels to cut this stuff. I realized it after I read your comment. Disregard the total lack of thinking on my part. :blush

19 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

Try metal supermarket. There is probably one near you.

Bingo, there's one down the road from where I live. Pretty sweet. Now that I can finally get stock to my neck I get to bending with more power.

On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 5:54 PM, KapMan said:

Because I'm stupid and didn't think to do that, no clue why. I have a dremel with wheels to cut this stuff. I realized it after I read your comment. Disregard the total lack of thinking on my part. :blush

Only use the fiber reinforced wheels, and wear glasses. The cheap brittle red ones will shatter and fly everywhere. Or get a $10 harbor freight angle grinder, sign up for the email list coupons and wait for a sale.

Edit: you can also chamfer the edges really quickly with an angle grinder wheel

Edited by wobbler
Chamfer
  • Like 1

So i just got into bending, and just purchased a few lengths of bending stock. Its covered in grease from the metal supplier.

I would like to check if everyone just leaves it coated with grease or do they wipe it down for storage? Does mild steel rust easily and how would rusted stock affect bending?

Edited by EJ Livesey
moved a updated to new question thread

1 minute ago, lecramgrip said:

So i just got into bending, and just purchased a few lengths of bending stock. Its covered in grease from the metal supplier.

I would like to check if everyone just leaves it coated with grease or do they wipe it down for storage? Does mild steel rust easily and how would rusted stock affect bending?

I wipe that stuff off pronto.   Basically, it's dangerous to the bender.  Any little bit of surface rust that might possibly accumulate isn't really going to affect the bend.

• Like 3

Depends. If you going to store it long term you need something on it. I use WD-40 Dry Lube. Comes off easy and the bars don't rust up. Still before bending anything wipe the oils off just to be safe. 

• Like 1

Surface rust does not weaken steel. The cancer rust(stuff you see in car quarter panels and subframes), that's a different story. You see some surface rust and want it gone hit it with a green pad. Andrew has a good point, but he is also FBBC so I'm sure he wants his customers to get fresh shiny steel. And let's face it, unless it's outside in the elements rust isn't an issue at all. I've measured super rusty steel after I cleaned it and it's still the same diameter, every time. 

But absolutely wipe the oil off. It will ruin your wraps and make a bend way more danagerous than it has to be due to the chance of slipping and punching yourself in the face

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 2

All noob bending questions will go here. examples of such questions:

where to buy steel

wrap related questions

cert process related questions 

chalking questions

progression questions

hypothetical questions

THINGS NOT TO PUT IN THIS THREAD

Technique questions

• Like 1

@EJ Livesey Might I suggest a: What NOT to bend, list also. Avoid unnecessary injuries from snapping steel.

3 minutes ago, canthar said:

@EJ Livesey Might I suggest a: What NOT to bend, list also. Avoid unnecessary injuries from snapping steel.

this will be something i am in the works on writing up.  it will be a pinned topic as well

• Like 5

I haven't done any bending yet but want to get into it. I have small hands and wrists so would like to start with some easy stock and get my wrists used to the work and get my technique down. I have read several posts, articles and had a look in my local hardware stores and still am very unsure what to buy for bending. My local hardware stores have very little stuff available and while I could probably guess what I can bend and what I can't I want to ask for advice here.

Are there any online stores based in Europe where I can buy lengths of steel and cut to length at home? I live in Italy so any store that sells in Euros and ships there would be great. Could someone more experienced also advise what steel I should start with? Again, I have read several starter posts and descriptions of different stock but I don't really understand the different grades and can't find any online stores based in Europe. It feels a bit like I am asking to be spoon fed but I can't workout where I should start after reading all the intro stuff.

I should probably add that my long term goal is to bend a Red Nail and my normal workouts include grippers, pinch block work and rolling handle DLs. I have a sledgehammer for wrist work. I have been doing grip work for around three months now so am pretty new to it.

David Horne world of grip

Ironmind.com 

Irongripworld.ru

fatbastardbarbellco.com

google.com

look for EN rated cold Rolled or cold pressed  

I'm going to move this to the amnesty thread.  

Edited by EJ Livesey

Thank you EJ Livesey! One more question, what dimensions would you recommend for pads? I am going to buy some leather from a craft store but am unsure what length and width I should get.

I've been bending for a little over a year, so I'm not totally new, but this thread seemed like the place to ask these.

What would be an elite bend that needs video proof to avoid the topic being locked?

Has anyone tried making their own 9/32" (or any size) round stock from 5/16" using an angle grinder or a lathe if you can't find 9/32" to buy locally?

Where can I find pictures of Eric's calibrating device to make something similar for myself?