Noob Bending Amnesty Question Thread (lots of merged threads)

Briso

5 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Whats the deal with 10" x 3/8" spikes from HD? I bought two.. Didn't really try to bend it braced and don't think I can yet, but I think it might make for a good isometrics...  Do people use these for braced bending ever?

Nails are all over the place in terms of difficulty. 

I bent a 100d nail (3/8 x 10") DO from an australian hardware store and it was easier than the 8.8mm nails I get here in Sweden. 

If you want consistent training steel you should buy steel rods in long lengths from a supplier and cut them yourself. This way every bend on that bar will be equal to each other. 

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

Nails are all over the place in terms of difficulty. 

I bent a 100d nail (3/8 x 10") DO from an australian hardware store and it was easier than the 8.8mm nails I get here in Sweden. 

If you want consistent training steel you should buy steel rods in long lengths from a supplier and cut them yourself. This way every bend on that bar will be equal to each other. 

Yes that’s the next step. Trying to source a steel supplier, my welding friend retired. 

my uncles good friends with a professional blacksmith and I’m trying to hook up with him and find out where he gets steel. I just can’t justify shipping prices unless it’s a very specific rated bolt or piece of steel.

On 11/7/2022 at 9:13 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

Yes that’s the next step. Trying to source a steel supplier, my welding friend retired. 

my uncles good friends with a professional blacksmith and I’m trying to hook up with him and find out where he gets steel. I just can’t justify shipping prices unless it’s a very specific rated bolt or piece of steel.

What about McMaster-Carr? I've heard some benders use it in the US. They have 1018 and 12L14 CRS in the usual sizes and even have some 9/32" stuff like this 303 stainless. Also, I've heard Zoro is not bad for O-1 drill rods. 
But of course, shipping can be expensive; it doesn't make sense to buy only one or two bars/rods. 

2 hours ago, matek said:

What about McMaster-Carr? I've heard some benders use it in the US. They have 1018 and 12L14 CRS in the usual sizes and even have some 9/32" stuff like this 303 stainless. Also, I've heard Zoro is not bad for O-1 drill rods. 
But of course, shipping can be expensive; it doesn't make sense to buy only one or two bars/rods. 

zoro's shipping is cheap. Die Supplies has crazy shipping for drill but the trade off is you get a more complete array of sizes in O1. no clue about mcmasters

• Like 1

7 hours ago, matek said:

I use McCmaster-Carr, its the shipping that gets you..

Theres a place not far from me I completely forgot about until yesterday that sells steel. I think we even have a business  account there. Going to place an order with them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another question. Not for me this time. My friends got the beginner package coming from @devinhoo..... 

I'm trying to convince him to buy a sledge to help strengthen his wrists but he doesnt seem to want too. He couldn't bend a 60d spiral last week with either suedes or imps...  I don't want him to get discouraged and give up. 

Everyone is unique and i get that but thats the best bending style for a weaker person to start with? Or does it matter?  I could bend HD and Lowes 60ds right away, but how do you go about getting into bending if you cant bend?

24 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Another question. Not for me this time. My friends got the beginner package coming from @devinhoo..... 

I'm trying to convince him to buy a sledge to help strengthen his wrists but he doesnt seem to want too. He couldn't bend a 60d spiral last week with either suedes or imps...  I don't want him to get discouraged and give up. 

Everyone is unique and i get that but thats the best bending style for a weaker person to start with? Or does it matter?  I could bend HD and Lowes 60ds right away, but how do you go about getting into bending if you cant bend?

This might be a technique problem. Double overhand is not easy or intuitive for most people. I've recommended double underhand and reverse to a lot of people. Listening through Beyond the Bend Podcast a lot of folks started with reverse and then came to double overhand much later.

Along with technique, getting the wraps really tight helps. My first bend attempts were—and I don't recommend this—denim haphazardly wrapped/folded around a nail and it did not move at all. A little more time spent watching videos of how to wrap a nail and reviewing technique helped me a lot.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I never used a sledgehammer in my training. I focused in practicing the technique with an easier nail. Then once I got that down I moved up in difficulty.

I'm sure @devinhoohas different difficulties. I've bought his stuff before. High quality. 

finally, get books, videos, search youtube.com post videos here. Your technique had to be dialed to get into the big bars. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

This might be a technique problem. Double overhand is not easy or intuitive for most people. I've recommended double underhand and reverse to a lot of people. Listening through Beyond the Bend Podcast a lot of folks started with reverse and then came to double overhand much later.

Along with technique, getting the wraps really tight helps. My first bend attempts were—and I don't recommend this—denim haphazardly wrapped/folded around a nail and it did not move at all. A little more time spent watching videos of how to wrap a nail and reviewing technique helped me a lot.

Thanks. I’ll go over this weekend and get him started.Reverse is what I’ve started with. I’ll have him start with that style if it feels comfortable. 

5 minutes ago, jculpepper said:

I never used a sledgehammer in my training. I focused in practicing the technique with an easier nail. Then once I got that down I moved up in difficulty.

I'm sure @devinhoohas different difficulties. I've bought his stuff before. High quality. 

finally, get books, videos, search youtube.com post videos here. Your technique had to be dialed to get into the big bars. 

I don’t think sledges directly make you a better bender but it’s just a great way to strengthen the wrists. Yes whatever he bought has an arrangement of starter stock. I hope he sticks with it, it would be great to have someone to do this stuff with.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thanks. I’ll go over this weekend and get him started.Reverse is what I’ve started with. I’ll have him start with that style if it feels comfortable. 

I don’t think sledges directly make you a better bender but it’s just a great way to strengthen the wrists. Yes whatever he bought has an arrangement of starter stock. I hope he sticks with it, it would be great to have someone to do this stuff with.

It's always exciting to get new people into the sport. Keep us updated. I'm sure we'll see big things from him soon!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1