Noob Bending Amnesty Question Thread (lots of merged threads)

Briso

12 hours ago, ImpGrip said:

what would be a complete beginner thing to try and bend or buy for bending?

40D nails work good.

so i ordered the david horne wrist developer and the david horne bending starter pack is that a good place to start?  not sure whats in the steel bending starter though

On 3/21/2018 at 2:47 AM, ImpGrip said:

what would be a complete beginner thing to try and bend or buy for bending?

60d "timber ties", the spiral shaped ones, are a pretty good starter too I think.

8 hours ago, ImpGrip said:

so i ordered the david horne wrist developer and the david horne bending starter pack is that a good place to start?  not sure whats in the steel bending starter though

What style of bending are you doing???  The wrist developer is primarily for reverse style bending but it will build your wrists up.  

Here's a vid describing the starter pack.

You could clip a bunch of wire coat hangers and tape them together. A little labor intensive but if you put enough of them together (15,20?) it can be a nice challenge. And obviously progression in small steps is easy.

1/4" hrs from the hardware store might work too. Much easier than that you can bend without much form so you won't learn a lot. Which is fine for reverse and to some degree underhand, but pretty much useless overhand. 1/4×6 grade 2 bolts are cheap and pretty soft.

• 3 weeks later...

alright guys need some help 

i just recieveed the david horne wrist developer and steel bending starter pack

with the starter pack do i just bend those once and they are done or can i bend stuff back to straight and go again? also how do i bend all those i watched his video and im  still some what confused because i see bending videos on these forums  and its not the same techinique as what he had on  his video 

how do i use the cloth  the roll it on the steel?

as for the wrist developer which way is harder for the spring? lower or higher ?  does it matter which way the developer is facing and can you only do reverse bending?

i liked what i did though so far feel like i got a massiv pump in my hand and forearms  i got a gold and silver spring? not sure which is heavier just used the silver spring on the bottom most notch  coudlnt get the golden one stretched and back on it to try that one 

Edited by ImpGrip

3 hours ago, ImpGrip said:

alright guys need some help 

i just recieveed the david horne wrist developer and steel bending starter pack

with the starter pack do i just bend those once and they are done or can i bend stuff back to straight and go again? 

You can bend the bars in any way you want and back and fort until they snap if you want to. That's why bending is so fun, there's so many ways of training. The longer bars is intended for braced bending. Since you got the WD I suggest you start with reverse bending or underhand bending for the steel since you're able to train those techniques with the WD aswell.

how do i use the cloth  the roll it on the steel?

Put the leather on a flat surface and roll the bar in it as tight as you can. It takes a bit of practice to be good at. It's important to stretch the wraps to get a tight fit. You can use some sort of clamping device to hold the wrap in place so you can stretch it while wrapping it. When you use the Suede leathers that David sells make sure you get the wraps in the center, so that you'll be bending the bar at the center. It can be difficult to move leathers after you've wrapped it so make sure you get it right, just use a ruler if you're unsure in the beginning.

as for the wrist developer which way is harder for the spring? lower or higher ?  does it matter which way the developer is facing and can you only do reverse bending?

The higher up you go the harder it gets, works the same way as the Vulcan gripper. You can do Reverse Bending, Underhand Bending and also the Heslep-style bending with the WD. The Hesplep-style is both hands straight out in front of the body starting with a pronated grip, then you supinate both hands as you're bending. It's extremely hard.

i liked what i did though so far feel like i got a massiv pump in my hand and forearms  i got a gold and silver spring? not sure which is heavier just used the silver spring on the bottom most notch  coudlnt get the golden one stretched and back on it to try that one 

I assume you mean the Orange spring since Orange and Chrome is the only springs he sell now. If you could bend the first level with the Chrome fully I'd say you have a pretty good starting strength for bending.

^thanks man all that input helps out alot 

next question should i buy the 50 count white and green nails from ironmind now or would those be too easy or would i go green and yellow? or should i go with the fatbastard beginner bag ? not sure whats in that bag but seems to have good progressions?

Edited by ImpGrip

19 minutes ago, ImpGrip said:

^thanks man all that input helps out alot 

next question should i buy the 50 count white and green nails from ironmind now or would those be too easy or would i go green and yellow? or should i go with the fatbastard beginner bag ? not sure whats in that bag but seems to have good progressions?

I haven't tried the FBBC stuff so I'll let someone else answer that.

If you can do the chrome spring on the WD you should go with the Yellow and Blue nails from Ironmind. You might find some easier bars useful also for other styles of bending. It depends if you're good or bad with double overhand bending. You don't know that until you try it.

The FBBC beginner bag is a good assortment for an absolute beginner, and even if the 3/16” stock is too easy for you it’s useful for conditioning your hands and generally figuring out your technique. You also have a good range with the heavier duty stuff and once you get some experience with the bars and their estimated poundage you can start ordering a la carte.

steel varies. So keep that in mind. Fbbc stock might be harder then ironmind. 

FBBC you have more freedom of selection because if the packages. I picked up the road to the bastard bag and still have stuff im working through. 

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve never gotten into trying to straighten them. Jedd answered a question about it once, though. If you’re trying to reuse them, it’s probably not worth doing - it won’t go back to straight and will always have a kink. Jedd suggests you try snapping the nail instead to get a good workout.

3 hours ago, crushonomics said:

I’ve never gotten into trying to straighten them. Jedd answered a question about it once, though. If you’re trying to reuse them, it’s probably not worth doing - it won’t go back to straight and will always have a kink. Jedd suggests you try snapping the nail instead to get a good workout.

This. Most of the top benders suggest this.

you build tolerence, endurance and strength.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 12:44 AM, ImpGrip said:

any tips for bending the bent nails back to straight? seems to be really hard

I am not an expert bender by any means, but I have found that snapping easier pieces is great training. Instead of trying to straighten the nail I just open it up enough to be able to crush down again and I do this over and over. I find that if I straighten the nail too much then it becomes really "wobbly" and feels like it could hurt me. Focusing on repeated crush downs works and feels safer.

I have the FBBC beginner bag and like it a lot. I recommend building a base and tolerance by focusing on the easier stuff for quite a while and getting the most you can out of each piece (by snapping). I have hurt my wrists by being too ambitious.

• Like 1

so to snap you just keep bending it opening it a little and bending again after the first bend?  i have a bunch of bent white nails right now 

• Like 2

Essentially yes. Multiple techniques you can use. Here is one:

1 hour ago, ImpGrip said:

so to snap you just keep bending it opening it a little and bending again after the first bend?  i have a bunch of bent white nails right now 

I'm far from an expert snapper, but I just chest crushed and then in basically the same position pulled the legs back apart, then crushed it again. Lather, rinse, repeat. Essentially what @Donc101 did in his video.

I say this with the wealth of experience that comes from snapping one 1/4"x8" CRS, so take my advice with a grain of salt. 

• 2 weeks later...

Took a stab at a 60D and it went nowhere. Hopefully once the bag of nails arrives I can start training. Going to follow the bending book routine to start but is there another bending routine or do people make it up as they go?

Got the bag of nails. Did a really bad wrap on the white nail but still pretty easy. Time to read up on how to wrap and technique!DA1F33D9-C165-43A3-848E-C7BF4D038ACF.thumb.jpeg.8a5676f58a37715339a19ee400490479.jpeg

check out the videos on technique and wrapping here. Very helpful. Good luck. @BluePen

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know it's a bad idea to bend rebar or CRS braced because of the bounce back and I assume the same is true of stainless. Is there a reason you don't see anyone bending large brass bars braced?

1 hour ago, Tom Flesher said:

I know it's a bad idea to bend rebar or CRS braced because of the bounce back and I assume the same is true of stainless. Is there a reason you don't see anyone bending large brass bars braced?

Probably mostly due to the cost. Although with @Adam Juncker cheater bar concept this wouldn't be as much of a concern. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

New to bending! I dont have any power with the steel under my chin, but have lots of power at chest height.. Any problems with that? 

Stainless Steel 6mm thick 145mm long