Oscar Bertrandsson 14 years old lift the Inch Dumbbell!

Arne

Today, young Oscar did a very remarkable feat. He is probably the youngest (?) ever who lift the Inch Dumbbell. The Dumbbell is made of steel by the wellknown Scottish Blacksmith Stan Pike. I bought this dumbbell from him in 2003.

IMG_8723.JPG

• Like 23

That is very impressive. Congats to Oscar.

Mind boggling, only 14 years old and already this strong. It will be very interesting to see what he can do in the future when he's fully grown.

So strong. How big are his hands?

One of the most incredible things I've seen on this board. The youngest Inch-lifter on video I'm aware of was Jamal (sp?) at Sorinex. Chris James's son must have lifted it by now too, not sure how old he is. Simply remarkable to have that strength at 14!

1 hour ago, Alawadhi said:

So strong. How big are his hands?

His hands are remarkable big for his age. He is 185 cm tall and weighs around 87-88 kg. 

• Like 1

I've met him. For sure has the potential to be the very best at grip if he keeps it up. Saw him post a video a few months back closing a #3 gripper with a parallel set. So he's not just a one trick pony with large hands. The kid is genuinely strong.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, vickg said:

Very impressive. I might aswell quit at this point...

Yeah, F this lets grab a beer.:blink

• Like 1

That  really is Impressive. . . .and just a bit demoralising for us Inch lifter wannabes.

I'll resist the temptation to grab a beer.

Is this a 172-lb Inch dumbbell? The globes seem just a bit small to me. Either way, it's a very impressive lift for a 14-year old!

54 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Is this a 172-lb Inch dumbbell? The globes seem just a bit small to me. Either way, it's a very impressive lift for a 14-year old!

I was wanting to ask this same question because I looked at the bell and thought the same. But I didn't want to come across as a hater because honestly, even if it's a 150lb bell that is still damn impressive. I thought maybe he was just a big guy and made the bell look small but then saw he was only about 6' tall and 195.

This STEELdumbbelll weighs 172 lbs as I ordered it from Stan Pike. I don't remember if Mikael Siverson or David Wigren tried to lift it after our latest competition...? The globes on this dumbbell are a little bit smaller compaired to a "normal" cast dumbbell. Martin Arildsson has finally lift it and can confirm that this dumbbell is very hard to lift.

Edited by Arne
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Arne said:

This STEELdumbbelll weighs 172 lbs as I ordered it from Stan Pike. I don't remember if Mikael Siverson or David Wigren tried to lift it after our latest competition...? The globes on this dumbbell are a little bit smaller compaired to a "normal" cast dumbbell. Martin Arildsson has finally lift it and can confirm that this dumbbell is very hard to lift.

Thank you for the clarification! 

14 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Thank you for the clarification! 

Stan Pike did also made this 172 Lbs "Inch"Kettlebell at the same order. This is no problem to lift compared the dumbbell. :)

IMG_1354.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

saw he was only about 6' tall and 195.

At fourteen though! That's a big kid and an impressive lift.

• Like 1

I think we have had this discussion before (discussing this particular dumbbell). Yes that dumbbell would be slightly easier to lift than an inch with the classic measurements because of the reduced torque from the slightly narrower diameter globes. How much easier I don't know.

15 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

I think we have had this discussion before (discussing this particular dumbbell). Yes that dumbbell would be slightly easier to lift than an inch with the classic measurements because of the reduced torque from the slightly narrower diameter globes. How much easier I don't know.

Mikael, did you ever lift this dumbbell?

• Like 1

Not that I can recall. I did try two of lighter ones though.

The diameter of the globes will affect how much torque is generated at a given total weight. Is that dumbbell not filled with lead (hence the narrower diameter)? Imagine how easy an inch dumbbell would be if the material for the globes had, say a specific density of 100. There would be hardly any torque at all. It is the large diameter of the globes of a full size Inch that makes it roll out of your hand. You can reduce the torque by eg replacing iron with a denser material like lead as this reduces the diameter and hence the torque.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Not that I can recall. I did try two of lighter ones though.

The diameter of the globes will affect how much torque is generated at a given total weight. Is that dumbbell not filled with lead (hence the narrower diameter)? Imagine how easy an inch dumbbell would be if the material for the globes had, say a specific density of 100. There would be hardly any torque at all. It is the large diameter of the globes of a full size Inch that makes it roll out of your hand. You can reduce the torque by eg replacing iron with a denser material like lead as this reduces the diameter and hence the torque.

I tried Georges Christens Inch Dumbbell (cast iron) when was I visiting Luxembourg. I didn't notice any difference between them. 

The reason that I ordered this steeldumbbell was because it's much stronger and nearly impossible to break I should drop it on the ground. 

• Like 1

That makes sense as glued-to-the-floor would have felt very similar to glued-to-the-floor:). You know very well Arne that I value accurate descriptions of feats and a genuine Inch replica must adhere to specified measurements or at least be even harder (eg thicker handle). For the record Aaron I don't need to be able to lift an Inch dumbbell in order to recognise an inaccurate description of a feat (noticed you liked Arne's 'put-up-or-shut-up' stab).