Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Geralt

Takei hand dynamometer

Recommended Posts

Geralt

So today I went to my physical therapist, to get some knots massaged out of my forearms, due to build up stress in training. I have been hitting it hard lately and my lowerarms felt beat up. 
The therapist released some triggerpoints and we talked a bit about grip. He was curious to how I would score in a test. He was looking for another dynamometer, but couldn't find it, so he came up with this one. A few things I think that had a lot of influence on the outcome I want to point out: 

- he set the pulling handle on the middle position, so it was a bit beyond parallel; 
- during crushing, I felt the backhandle slipping out of my hand a bit; 
- I was not warmed up (cracking fingers during the first squeeze)
- he wanted me to keep my arms in a perfect 90 degree angle and not 'yank' the device, but slowly building up pressure; 
- the evening before I did leverwork for my wrists with an improvised hammer with a fatgripz attached to it, so I wasn't fresh at all. 

With this setup and technique I scored about 80kg left hand and around 90kg right hand (both a bit above). 

Have other guys used this device before for testing and what were your scores? Problem with these kind of tests are in my opinion, that in these situations the handles are not set optimal and I was asked to do a max squeeze all of a sudden without any warming up. I reckon with a little bit of practice on this thing, better set and a different arm position would make a big difference ( I see most people on YT perform squeezes with a straight arm and no 90 degree position). 

I have seen a lot of YT vids, so I am not interested in those, but I would like to hear if there are similar experiences with the same testparameters I described above. 

 

takei_hand_dyno.jpg

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Royz

How did the therapist react to your numbers Geralt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dave murray

Daithi here, Ireland. i guess your therapist was not a grip man, or a follower of grip training. so, he or she might not understand the stress or strain we put our hands through. i only imagine he or she was using the "average" standard. if i make any sense? in any case  80 k is a massive squeeze. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Dax

I have a digital version of that (though the battery is flat so it hasn't worked for a few years- some kind of 'tabbed' battery needed I was told) any way I seem to remember getting about 72kg when I could close my CoC#2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NPieper

I've been thinking about getting one of these. But I always end up getting another gripper instead!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Juse

test sounds legit to me, just the same method docs use here in Finland, the optimum handle spread for testing is when first joints of your fingers are at 90deg, thats by the instructions. Did 88kg at docs with that method(one squeese), it was Saehan dynamometer, soon after bought my own and after few attemps pulled out around 100kg, of the scale, sitting, hand was between straight and 90degs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geralt
6 hours ago, Royz said:

How did the therapist react to your numbers Geralt?

Quite neutral, I asked him how other people measured up, but he had to look up what averages are. He didn't go deep into that. I looked it up myself and came up with that around 60kg is considered being 'strong' in test results :) and if you take in consideration that I am not your basic strengthmonster at all, I am curious what they would call the topdogs over here haha

5 hours ago, dave murray said:

Daithi here, Ireland. i guess your therapist was not a grip man, or a follower of grip training. so, he or she might not understand the stress or strain we put our hands through. i only imagine he or she was using the "average" standard. if i make any sense? in any case  80 k is a massive squeeze. 

Hey man thnx for the reply. He wasn't at all, but then again, so are most people in the real world haha I felt the device gliding backwards and I also recall in the past, having to squeeze into one of them Baseline dynamometers,(the expensive ones) which I remember also as being smooth and slippery as well. 

3 hours ago, Old Dax said:

I have a digital version of that (though the battery is flat so it hasn't worked for a few years- some kind of 'tabbed' battery needed I was told) any way I seem to remember getting about 72kg when I could close my CoC#2.

Thnx! Interesting, 72kg would be 158lbs. Most #2's average around 107lbs in rgc (outliers till 117lbs I read on the CPW webpage). So extract around 50 lbs of your handynamo squeeze. I squeezed around 90kg, so that's 198lbs. My gripperclose is now around 160 - 170 from mms, so that difference is smaller. RGC is measured in closed position. But since the dynamometer handles don't get compressed to the 'closed gripperhandle position', I think it is hard to compare those two. Would be nice to see this back in some kind of test. 

2 minutes ago, Juse said:

test sounds legit to me, just the same method docs use here in Finland, the optimum handle spread for testing is when first joints of your fingers are at 90deg, thats by the instructions. Did 88kg at docs with that method(one squeese), it was Saehan dynamometer, soon after bought my own and after few attemps pulled out around 100kg, of the scale, sitting, hand was between straight and 90degs.

That sounds the same indeed, I have a new appointment in about two weeks, I'll ask him for a new test and look how the handles are positioned. Where are you gripwise with thickbar and grippers etc if I may ask? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Juse

50mm axle around 165, Hornes Adjustable was 140, grippers about 3.0 at redneck scale, haven't trained any in years. Most times can close #3 without warm ope (I try few times a year). 50y now so its downhill all the way:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Juse

btw, setting the dynamometer, like the dogleg of the gripper, seemed to help around 10kg to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dave murray

Geralt, where did you get that dyno? i would prefer not to get it from amazon. they treat their workers like slaves. sorry for the rant. Jamar , is another make/brand. anyway, keep training. regards , Daithi

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
52 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Quite neutral, I asked him how other people measured up, but he had to look up what averages are. He didn't go deep into that. I looked it up myself and came up with that around 60kg is considered being 'strong' in test results :) and if you take in consideration that I am not your basic strengthmonster at all, I am curious what they would call the topdogs over here haha

Hey man thnx for the reply. He wasn't at all, but then again, so are most people in the real world haha I felt the device gliding backwards and I also recall in the past, having to squeeze into one of them Baseline dynamometers,(the expensive ones) which I remember also as being smooth and slippery as well. 

Thnx! Interesting, 72kg would be 158lbs. Most #2's average around 107lbs in rgc (outliers till 117lbs I read on the CPW webpage). So extract around 50 lbs of your handynamo squeeze. I squeezed around 90kg, so that's 198lbs. My gripperclose is now around 160 - 170 from mms, so that difference is smaller. RGC is measured in closed position. But since the dynamometer handles don't get compressed to the 'closed gripperhandle position', I think it is hard to compare those two. Would be nice to see this back in some kind of test. 

That sounds the same indeed, I have a new appointment in about two weeks, I'll ask him for a new test and look how the handles are positioned. Where are you gripwise with thickbar and grippers etc if I may ask? 

I have not tested this specific dynamometer but I have a digital "Camry" dynamometer that goes to 90 kg and one thing I've noticed is that it doesn't matter if I set the handle to the widest setting (60 mm) or the smallest (very narrow don't remember the exact distance) as long as I train my hands in that position I get basically the same results. When I did RRBT I did a lot of credit card set work, then I got around 86 kg as the best result, from 60 mm. A few months ago I did a lot of choker work with a COC#3 and tried the dynamometer just for fun to show it to a friend, then I managed to max it out (90 kg) from the narrow setting but I didn't get as good result from wider settings.

I also have a hard COC#3 which I've closed from 22 mm in a choker so it seems like 20-25 kg is the difference if you compare to calibrated grippers. As you go up to much heavier gripper it might be a bigger difference due to the fact that setting the gripper is much harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geralt
17 hours ago, Juse said:

btw, setting the dynamometer, like the dogleg of the gripper, seemed to help around 10kg to me

I believe that immediately. I tried it in a bit of a hurry, you know how it goes. The second attempt was much better already for me. 

16 hours ago, dave murray said:

Geralt, where did you get that dyno? i would prefer not to get it from amazon. they treat their workers like slaves. sorry for the rant. Jamar , is another make/brand. anyway, keep training. regards , Daithi

I didn't buy it, it was at my Physical Therapist's practise. Maybe in the future I would buy one and use it for testing grip. On the other hand, I prefer to test on grippers, because I would waste a max squeeze on the hand dynamo while it should be a gripper that needs to be closed haha

16 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I have not tested this specific dynamometer but I have a digital "Camry" dynamometer that goes to 90 kg and one thing I've noticed is that it doesn't matter if I set the handle to the widest setting (60 mm) or the smallest (very narrow don't remember the exact distance) as long as I train my hands in that position I get basically the same results. When I did RRBT I did a lot of credit card set work, then I got around 86 kg as the best result, from 60 mm. A few months ago I did a lot of choker work with a COC#3 and tried the dynamometer just for fun to show it to a friend, then I managed to max it out (90 kg) from the narrow setting but I didn't get as good result from wider settings.

I also have a hard COC#3 which I've closed from 22 mm in a choker so it seems like 20-25 kg is the difference if you compare to calibrated grippers. As you go up to much heavier gripper it might be a bigger difference due to the fact that setting the gripper is much harder.

The resistence of the pulling handle after setting plays a big part in the explosiveness in that ROM for closing indeed. Not without a reason that choked grippers can be closed in a much higher range. Also with wide set work it seems the general experience that top end crush suffers for MMS work. Interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dave murray

i hear you Geralt. still, its nice to know where one stands . ya know? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Dax

I got digital job from ebay well worth the £5 !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geralt
On 7 juli 2016 at 1:32 PM, Old Dax said:

I got digital job from ebay well worth the £5 !

Lol, can't go wrong for that price! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steeve tremblay
On 05/07/2016 at 10:37, Geralt said:

Alors aujourd’hui, j’ai consulté mon physiothérapeute pour me faire masser les nœuds de mes avant-bras, en raison de la formation de stress supplémentaire. Je l'ai frappé fort ces derniers temps et mes bras inférieurs se sont sentis battus. 
Le thérapeute a publié quelques points de déclenchement et nous avons parlé un peu de la préhension. Il était curieux de savoir comment je marquerais un test. Il cherchait un autre dynamomètre, mais ne le trouva pas, alors il en inventa un. Je pense que quelques points ont eu une grande influence sur les résultats: 

- il a placé la poignée de tirage sur la position médiane, donc c'était un peu au-dessus parallèle; 
- lors de l'écrasement, j'ai senti le poignet glisser un peu hors de ma main; 
- Je n'étais pas réchauffé (craquement des doigts lors de la première compression)
- il voulait que je maintienne mes bras dans un angle parfait à 90 degrés et que je ne «tire» pas l'appareil, mais que je crée lentement une pression; 
- La veille au soir, j’ai fait un effet de levier à mes poignets avec un marteau improvisé auquel était attaché un fatgripz; je n’étais donc pas fraîche du tout. 

Avec cette configuration et cette technique, j'ai marqué environ 80 kg à la main gauche et environ 90 kg à la main droite (les deux un peu plus haut). 

D'autres personnes ont-elles déjà utilisé cet appareil pour effectuer des tests et quels ont été vos scores? Le problème avec ce genre de tests, à mon avis, c'est que dans ces situations, les poignées ne sont pas réglées de manière optimale et on m'a demandé de faire une compression maximale tout à coup sans échauffement. Je pense qu’avec un peu de pratique sur ce sujet, une meilleure position et une position des bras différente feraient une grande différence (je vois que la plupart des gens sur le YT effectuent des compressions avec un bras droit sans position à 90 degrés). 

J'ai vu beaucoup de vidéos YT et je ne suis donc pas intéressé par celles-ci, mais j'aimerais savoir s'il existe des expériences similaires avec les mêmes paramètres de test que ceux décrits ci-dessus. 

 

takei_hand_dyno.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steeve tremblay

i never gtry this dynamometer but  you are very strong because  slowly,  and 90 degre angle without secouss...i believe you close  coc 3 or 3. 2 on my calcul geometric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steeve tremblay

i have dynamometer TTM ORIGINAL SMEDLAY DYNAMO METER 100 KG MADE IN JAPAN and my best score is 74 kg... i dont satisfaction ... i buy 2 dynamometer and wait  dk 140 sikularuf and  hand jamar hydraulic i wait to have .... my objectif is 78 a 80 kg to my satisfaction ... my best score to camry in plastic is  177 pound but to me its the luck in 2016...my hand sore and move .... the men made superior at 75 kg is very strong .. 77 is the number kg    ....and more 80 a 90 on jamar or baseline is very low , o,0, 0001%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steeve tremblay

(DANNO) hand dynamometer (Mr. Smedley type) D-3611 i buy this dynamo and its very hard to the fingers ... my max is 74 kg,  i believe with other  i have buy  to protect my hand and fingers , maybe  my results should be  above  .... i dont like this dynamo  , smedley TTM, MY EGO DONT FEEL..... I PREFER PAY MOST TO THE VERY REAL AQUTHENTICITY AND NOT DESTRUCTION  IN MY FINGER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.