Modified Gripper Block for chubby dudes

acromegaman

1 hour ago, dave murray said:

i was pretty sure "forum" came from ancient Rome. to speak ones mind. this is not directed at any one person. we all have opinions. i love it. on a tangent, , ever see those silly ads on telly, = yes , this new gadget will give you a 6 pack? bull rubbish. so, point is, one will never ever expect to bang close a gripper more than a 2. 

Dave, can you stay on topic please?  You could start your own thread in Goerner's if you want to discuss...well...whatever it is you're discussing. 

This isn't about Delmar being worried about callouses or even pain. He's asking for help to improve his training.  It does seem like you didn't read the early posts where he stated the problem. 

• Like 4

I think this is an issue that I will have no choice but to struggle with. I was hoping that the block modification would fly but it seems that it will eventually be a bust at some competitions so I am choosing not to use it. @Jedd Johnson has been very helpful with his suggestions and maybe if I worked with it there might be hope for me, but more I more than likely will be throwing in the towel with grippers. I never really liked them anyways. I appreciate all of the helpful advice that everyone provided.

no worries Matt, can you and all members please accept my apologies? i am not in a position to lecture any woman or man. i merely stated my humble opinions. 

Why not keep using your modified block?  You can atleast build that strength while you're figuring out the skin issue.  

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Allen Heineck said:

Why not keep using your modified block?  You can atleast build that strength while you're figuring out the skin issue.  

This might be the route for me. Another board member reached out and swayed me.

• Like 3

I think with certain issues there should allowable mods. Almost everyone here bitches about hand size and things have been done to accommodate that. Why not let the man have the mod so he can compete effectively in the sport.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I think with certain issues there should allowable mods. Almost everyone here bitches about hand size and things have been done to accommodate that. Why not let the man have the mod so he can compete effectively in the sport.

Also since a medical issue is the problem here.

Shouldn’t we be encouraging participation? 

4 hours ago, Jared Goguen said:

Obviously not.

• Like 1

John Eaton has very similar hands (skin pinching was his major issue too).  He worked on his set and has closed 3.5s and other monster grippers. Fix your set and you won't need the tool.  I promise.  :)

Plus, with a better set, you'll eventually be able to close bigger grippers than you could using the tool with the back leg in a disadvantageous position like you have it now.

• Like 3

On July 8, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Jared Goguen said:

A medical issue?  

3 minutes ago, Cannon said:

A medical issue?  

GB name:  "Acromegaman"

This is a combination of the disease I have and my favorite video game when I was a kid.  Acromegaly + Megaman. My wife helped me think of this years back when I was trying to think of a good email name.

Interesting. I guess I have not been reading close enough. I had not picked up on that.  I want to reiterate that I believe people should do literally anything they want in training.  I don't know what to say about contests and certs.  

• Like 1

Judging by the video I would suggest extending the wrist A LOT more this might also help to tighten up the skin plus the bonus is immediately stronger gripper close. 

• Like 2