Modified Gripper Block for chubby dudes

acromegaman

15 hours ago, Jared Goguen said:

I think it should be allowed. If all it's doing is pushing the hand meat down so you can close a gripper then its it's not aiding you in anyway.

Isn't it aiding him in THAT way though?  It's literally so that he can close the gripper.   

I'm not advocating against this, but I wouldn't say it's not helping in any way.  

I've helped people avoid that skin pinch with just showing them a different way to put the gripper into the hand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jared Goguen said:

I'm not sure about that. He has some mighty mitts.

Clearly my hand is on the right.

This is a great photo, I've seen it before and was floored by the thickness.  Delmar's hand IS a mighty mitt and as such he has excelled at most lifts in the sport.  Hard work is paramount, but he's clearly gifted in the hand department.  I'm a firm believer that people should do ANYTHING they wish in training.  But I guess I am advocating against allowing modifications such as this in a contest after all.  

A personal example was my half-hearted appeal to lift Jefferson-style on the axle in competition.  It's much better for my back, and most people agreed that it would only make the lift harder versus sumo or conventional.  However the request was denied.  I'm not advocating against Delmar's inquiry just because I was also told "no".  I'm mentioning this as an example that I'm just going to have to deal.  If I ever compete on axle again, I'll have to log a token light lift and leave it at that.

I remain skeptical that this can't be corrected with preparation on the set.       

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I've helped people avoid that skin pinch with just showing them a different way to put the gripper into the hand.

Any hope for this @Jedd Johnson? I had a few guys helping me with a higher set and it still pinched. The more my hand squeezes the more skin balls up. I cannot see a fool proof way around it. I don't want to throw another gripper due to frustration.

• Like 2

I shot a video for you bro.  I have similar skin in my pal, although maybe not exactly the same.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I shot a video for you bro.  I have similar skin in my pal, although maybe not exactly the same.

I appreciate it @Jedd Johnson I'm looking forward to seeing it.

• Like 2

Here you go, brotherrrrrrr.  This made a big difference for me when I made this adjustment and has helped others too dude.  I hope it helps you out as well.

• Like 8

I have actually experimented with this and still had issues. I think I'll work on this some more one last time before I just totally give up on grippers. I really appreciate the help Jedd. You're a solid dude! 

• Like 2

Weak gripper, standard set, and time constraints =

• Like 2

Looks like there's just too much meat on those huge paws, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, acromegaman said:

Weak gripper, standard set, and time constraints =

You do seem to have a unique issue here.  The only tip I can give is it looked like you placed the palm handle, then used it to stretch skin toward your wrist.  But then right when you went to set the gripper it just slid back where it was anyway.  Is there any way to stretch the skin, then place the palm handle on the stretched skin so when it's pushed back there is no available slack to end up between the handles?

I couldn't really see but looks like the gripper is flat (parallel) in your hand and as a result traps the skin? I have just tried it on my gripper and caught a bit of my skin and my hand is no where like your 'mighty mitt'

Something I do when setting my gripper is ... the non dogleg handle is at and angle to the palm and when I have the set and wrap my fingers around it, it gives clearance to the palm. Kinda hard to explain but rather than pulling the handle across your fingers try pulling in the handle from a diagonal?

Hope this makes sense :unsure 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sam Radford said:

I couldn't really see but looks like the gripper is flat (parallel) in your hand and as a result traps the skin? I have just tried it on my gripper and caught a bit of my skin and my hand is no where like your 'mighty mitt'

Something I do when setting my gripper is ... the non dogleg handle is at and angle to the palm and when I have the set and wrap my fingers around it, it gives clearance to the palm. Kinda hard to explain but rather than pulling the handle across your fingers try pulling in the handle from a diagonal?

Hey Delmar, Sam has a good point. Stretch the skin like everyone else has mentioned, then do what Sam has mentioned

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sam Radford said:

Indeed! Pulling the gripper inside your hand and not towards your wrists. 
As I said I think it helps if the dogleg (palm handle) is set closer towards your fingers. 

Edited by Grind
  • Like 1

Delmar, if you want to bring some grippers, I can work with you on it at the Double Barrel Couple Crush.

Delmar, you've got more going on than the skin bro.  Facebook message me bro.

stick with it Delmar, don't get frustrated,  we gotta get you crushing grippers. 

• Like 1

don't you think getting tough or beaten up palms are a by product of shutting grippers? heavy knurling. i guess you could invest in smooth handled grippers. 

1 hour ago, dave murray said:

don't you think getting tough or beaten up palms are a by product of shutting grippers? heavy knurling. i guess you could invest in smooth handled grippers. 

Unless you're fishing... I'm kind of doubting you know what is going on here.

slight confusion here, perhaps on my opinion. whenever a man or girl attempts to shut a tough gripper, the by product will lead to rough or calloused hands. even with the old fbbc , smooth handles. same as Davids vulcan. no way to avoid it. sorry if i seem lippy.

10 minutes ago, dave murray said:

slight confusion here, perhaps on my opinion. whenever a man or girl attempts to shut a tough gripper, the by product will lead to rough or calloused hands. even with the old fbbc , smooth handles. same as Davids vulcan. no way to avoid it. sorry if i seem lippy.

Ok...I'm hooked.  Lol

While your comments are undoubtedly correct, they are irrelevant to this thread.  You either don't know Delmar, haven't actually read the thread, or both. :)

• Like 2

i was pretty sure "forum" came from ancient Rome. to speak ones mind. this is not directed at any one person. we all have opinions. i love it. on a tangent, , ever see those silly ads on telly, = yes , this new gadget will give you a 6 pack? bull rubbish. so, point is, one will never ever expect to bang close a gripper more than a 2.