#3 TNS Attempt

John McCarter

#3 TNS Attempt   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Does this lift pass?

• Pass?
    • Fail?

1. chalk only.
2. 20mm block set or wider from 12/31/14 forward.
3. certs requiring a different set than 20mm block require that set.
4. GHP, David Horne, and credit card set blocks do not need to be measured. diy or non branded blocks have to be within .5mm of stated width.

• Like 2

Phenomenal strength!! 

I voted PASS and no way want to discredit this feat but is it possible to clear up the rules so that a TNS doesn't have to include a table? @John McCarter ... see this >link< for abbreviated terms (below is a snippet within the link) as I'm not sure if this has been discussed before.

NS = No Set (free hand can be used to position gripper in hand but cannot help with closing of gripper.)

TNS = Table No Set (gripper is picked up from table with one hand and closed. Free hand does not touch gripper at all.)

• Like 2

I passed it. The strength is clearly there. But the rules should be on the table

I voted pass as well as I don't think there would be a difference if he had used a table but when the word is literally in the description of the set I agree it should include the table, just as a block set includes a block etc. Otherwise why call it a table no set?

7 hours ago, Sam Radford said:

Phenomenal strength!! 

I voted PASS and no way want to discredit this feat but is it possible to clear up the rules so that a TNS doesn't have to include a table? @John McCarter ... see this >link< for abbreviated terms (below is a snippet within the link) as I'm not sure if this has been discussed before.

Thanks, bro! I actually thought about this, but since there is literally no difference in difficulty or technique between picking it up off a table and already having it in your hand with one of the handles free, I didn't bother having a table around. If we wanted to be really technical, we would have to discount all of the TNS closes where the gripper was picked up off a chair or the floor too, since it is not a table. :laugh

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Thanks, bro! I actually thought about this, but since there is literally no difference in difficulty or technique between picking it up off a table and already having it in your hand with one of the handles free, I didn't bother having a table around. If we wanted to be really technical, we would have to discount all of the TNS closes where the gripper was picked up off a chair or the floor too, since it is not a table. :laugh

Agree, think the term TNS should be changed ... in the link someone refer's to it as 'total' ... maybe adopt this namesake as to keep the acronym TNS ?!?

Either way you owned all them grippers with the use of 1 hand ONLY

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

A chair could be considered a table technically so long as the seat is flat :P. I agree with Sam, the term should be changed. If we are going to consider sets without the the whole picking the gripper up portion as TNS (which I'm perfectly fine with) then something like total instead of table would be more fitting. It's pedantic but it makes sense to clear up confusion. Obviously we all seem to be in agreement about it not really mattering since we all voted pass!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam Radford said:

Agree, think the term TNS should be changed ... in the link someone refer's to it as 'total' ... maybe adopt this namesake as to keep the acronym TNS ?!?

Either way you owned all them grippers with the use of 1 hand ONLY

"Total" makes more sense. I would say it's all the same as long as the close starts with one of the handles free. I am happy to repeat it with an actual table if the close gets failed.

• Like 1

When I first started learning about all things grip I actually thought TNS did stand for Total No Set.

Actually there is a difference between holding it in the other hand and then taking it in the gripper hand because you can put the gripper in more advantageous position in your hand that way. I'm not saying this is the case here but it can be like that. Therefore the rules need to be more strict.

The term should be "One Hand No Set". Then we don't need to bother what type of object we are picking up the gripper from.

And yes the close was very good and definitely OK. Could've been filmed better with a better angle at the close, other than that it was flawless.

10 hours ago, Sam Radford said:

Phenomenal strength!! 

I don't know if that was something I was aware of and will look into it.

For anybody wondering. When someone comes to me with a feat they want submitted for judging, I always try to use something related to that said person's video. If you go to the community records and stats page (http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/forum/14-community-records-and-stats/) I take the rules directly from the thread that corresponds with said feat. When Gil submitted the video for judging, I took what he had in the video title and used that to form this poll.

• Like 1

Pass from me. Great no set closes! I count any no set as "TNS" as long as the non-gripping hand is not assisting by placing the gripper in the gripping hand. 

• Like 3

I think Total No Set makes the most set. The no set is the key to me. Hand it to yourself, open your hand all the way to show you are not gripping it. The gripper just rests on your palm then from there with the one hand, crush it. Or just hold one handle and then go. Really simple concept.

• Like 1

I voted pass.

I remember the last time this came up and the consensus was that NS - no set and tns - table no set. Not picked up off a table, just a no set close.

This gripper was picked up off a table before hitting record, right?? :)

Nice!

3 more votes to go