How to close choked grippers without dying

Squeezus

Hey folks, simple question. How do you close a choked gripper without your hand skin getting under the hose clamp and getting sliced off? Pics and videos are welcome.

Mr. Acorn beat me too it.

• Like 1

Just now, Jared Goguen said:

Mr. Acorn beat me too it.

Feel free to post a pic of yours too. :)

Instead of chocking, I use this.

You can get it from Silvis.

image.jpg

Edited by Morgan
  • Like 2

I used simple hose clamps for years - up to and including my close of Heath's 195# COC #4 - and never pinched a thing!  We had dozens in hose clamps at Gripmas a couple years in a row and no pinches.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I used simple hose clamps for years - up to and including my close of Heath's 195# COC #4 - and never pinched a thing!  We had dozens in hose clamps at Gripmas a couple years in a row and no pinches.

That doesn't work for me anymore. I checked and my palm covers the entire handle and then some as well as index finger near the top of finger side even with pinky hanging half off.

23 minutes ago, acorn said:

Like this.

12188510_1180996388580624_1980046422_n.jpg

Sorry Aaron your photo doesn't do it justice.

q2yZPeZ.jpg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, acorn said:

That doesn't work for me anymore. I checked and my palm covers the entire handle and then some as well as index finger near the top of finger side even with pinky hanging half off.

Your fault for having such big hands :).  Seriously though - there were some mighty big hands at Gripmas and no complaints that I heard anyway.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, acorn said:

Like this.

12188510_1180996388580624_1980046422_n.jpg

36 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Instead of chocking, I use this.

You can get it from Silvis.

image.jpg

25 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

Sorry Aaron your photo doesn't do it justice.

q2yZPeZ.jpg

Thanks fellas, but I should have clarified. I am going to be competing in a competition that will likely be using traditional hose clamp chokers. I have tried such a choker before and I couldn't close the gripper because it would clamp on my skin when I opened my hand. It was terrifying.

On this >link< by Clay Edgin he used a washer with a notch in that sat on top of the handles where the spring entered?

1 hour ago, Squeezus said:

Thanks fellas, but I should have clarified. I am going to be competing in a competition that will likely be using traditional hose clamp chokers. I have tried such a choker before and I couldn't close the gripper because it would clamp on my skin when I opened my hand. It was terrifying.

Man, I can't think of a time I got bit by a choker in the way you're describing.  Sorry bro.  I don't train with chokers, because I feel they're a waste of time for me.

Gil, is the hose clamp sliding down the gripper after you close it, then pinching your skin?  I've had that happen a bit before when I closed the gripper in a fairly upright position.  If it's the case, closing the gripper parallel to the floor should help.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jeff Parker said:

Gil, is the hose clamp sliding down the gripper after you close it, then pinching your skin?  I've had that happen a bit before when I closed the gripper in a fairly upright position.  If it's the case, closing the gripper parallel to the floor should help.

Yes. Exactly. This is what I'm looking for. Thanks, Jeff!

• Like 1

I taped the hose clamp edges and I never had a problem..Mine always moved up not down so I wasn't too worried after awhile.

• Like 2

The tape does make a big difference; the only time I've been bitten is when I tried a choked gripper w/o tape.

• Like 3

Another thing I read about is choking on the actual spring. Not sure if it's better or not. I just remember reading it somewhere.

59 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

@Tom Scibelli Are your choked grippers going to be taped?

Yes, I'm going to use athletic tape so it should grip the clamp good to keep it in place

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sam Radford said:

On this >link< by Clay Edgin he used a washer with a notch in that sat on top of the handles where the spring entered?

I do something similar to this. . . .will post a few pics & explanation tomorrow. My hands are simply too big to clamp the handles

The crispness of Jared's pic will take some beating :angry:

PDA made what may have been the first commercial "choker" years ago - it was basically a fancy washer.  Using the washer concept gives a very different feel to a choker close - not better or worse maybe - but different.  With a big washer and a round file you can easily make one.  You will need a couple different sizes to cover all strengths of grippers.

Chris,

I remember the PDA choker setup!  A pity I didn't think to copy the pic from the website - but it looked too hard to replicate in any event.  There were small swivelling legs of discs to choke the spring correct?

I'm afraid my effort is quite crude an any event - but I can say it is functional.  The PDA design did give me a fair amount of inspiration - I've never bothered experimenting with hose clamps

The below pics show 2 sets of holes that enable 2 slightly different choke widths (in this case either 45mm or 50mm for CoC2.5). I'm currently using the pictured setup twice a week  

I tend to customise each choker for each gripper (I have a set of CoC grippers set aside just for choking as this method can be brutal on the spring finishing).  I could probably write up a "how to make" in a thread if there was enough interest. On the other hand 4 pics are worth quite a few words!

Dave

chk1.jpg

chk2.jpg

chk3.jpg

chk4.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah tape under the hose clamp will take care of this.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 19. kesäkuuta 2016 at 3:56 PM, Justin Matney said:

Yeah tape under the hose clamp will take care of this.

I have always used hockey tape for this. Never any issues. 

There is a huge difference between choking the gripper around handles or around spring. Latter makes for easy and spongy feel in the beginning of the close. Not good for training. Translates poorly to parallel set or block set close that way. Trust me on this I hit choker training real hard years ago when all I could think of were bigger grippers. 

• Like 3

On June 17, 2016 at 3:27 PM, climber511 said:

Yeah I think my hand simply isn't big enough to have this problem. Sorry I can't help!