48.5lb Shallow Hub PR

Jared Goguen

18 hours ago, Mike Sharkey said:

Why should he have to "defend" himself?  This isn't a cert submission or a contest.  Just check the (bad word filter)ing lift.   Everybody on here is quick with the "that's not right" line, or "OMG YOUR PINKIE!!!!" , but I don't see that many people posting videos of them doing anything.  How many people critiquing others have EVER submitted a video cert or gone to a comp?  Pretty low percentage, which obviously questions the credibility of the person making the comment.  There's a reason so many world class gripsters abandoned this site.  

First of all, I never said he had to defend himself. I said that should he choose to, he should be able to do it without attacking the credibility of his accusers.

Secondly, he DID begin to defend himself in the manner I described above, so I was merely offering a suggestion of how he might better approach the situation.

It's also the nature of the internet that if you're going to post feats and PRs, you open yourself up to criticism. It's also incorrect to suggest that you have to post videos of yourself "doing anything" or go to competitions to be a valid criticizer of someone else's work. I find it funny that Dr's post was essentially ignored, for example. He is a very credible source with knowledge of the lift and of anatomy beyond most or all of us. 

I think you are misguided about why alot of people have abandoned this board. I have talked to several of them about it, from the highest level guys to some of the newer guys, and it has nothing to do with people critiquing other people's techniques and videos 100% of the time. If anything, we need more of that kind of thing. 

All this being said, it is totally correct to suggest that encouragement is the name of the game WHILE KEEPING IN MIND that criticism is not the same as tearing someone else down. I didn't see a single person tear Jared down.

Edited by avasatu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, avasatu said:

It's also incorrect to suggest that you have to post videos of yourself "doing anything" or go to competitions to be a valid criticizer of someone else's work.

I could not agree with this less.  The internet is full of people who talk a great game safe behind their keyboards and screens.  If people spent half as much time working on their own stuff as they did commenting on others' everyone on here would be Strong AF.

Curious though, who are these high level guys that you talked to?  

I posted this in June, if I need to defend it in a specific way forever any time someone stubbles in here then forget this thread.

I'm not going to re hash things forever.

I feel like the lift was good, if you don't that's fine and at this point the conversation has been already had.

My shallow hub technique is the exact same as what david horne does in comps, I learned alot from watching his videos.

If I have learned anything being here all I need to say is that "Joe Kinney didn't close the #4" and the thread is as good as locked.

Edited by Jared Goguen

4 hours ago, Mike Sharkey said:

I could not agree with this less.  The internet is full of people who talk a great game safe behind their keyboards and screens.  If people spent half as much time working on their own stuff as they did commenting on others' everyone on here would be Strong AF.

Curious though, who are these high level guys that you talked to?  

We can continue this in PM if you would like to, though I'm not sure I'd be at liberty to mention a few (or any) of the names. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth or give anyone's opinion without express permission.

I love rules. Do every thing you can to almost break them, but not quite. That's what life is about, and that's what rules are for. If I'm smart enough to justify how I almost (but didn't) break the rule, then I win.

Makes it difficult to argue the finer points, but oh well. Make better or more specific rules if you don't like it.

22 hours ago, Jared Goguen said:

If I have learned anything being here all I need to say is that "Joe Kinney didn't close the #4" and the thread is as good as locked.

Hey, I'm a noob, so everything is new to me. I'm not saying he did or didn't, but that video doesn't prove either way to me. Who am I? Nobody. Just sayin is all. I'm not trying to annoy anyone. If I annoy you, I apologize. Don't bother with me. I think there's an option to block me. 

I'm sure I'm not the only person to have thought that. Just because people aren't talking about it doesn't mean they aren't thinking it. The sound that was made doesn't prove anything. I can make a sound like that without being anywhere near closed. I might be saying what someone else has already said before, Idk.

I'm not trying to put anyone down. My hope is that I could be that strong one day. There's controversy where question marks exist. It makes things interesting. If there is no controversy in those circumstances, that's a sign of an oppressive regime. History has shown how they tend to fair. 

I want to keep it positive. I'd rather motivate to remove question marks, then detract and discourage others. Joe Kinney was a top guy. I don't think anyone would argue that. I'd like to call it like I see it no matter who you are. I'm NOT calling anyone's character into question. I've never even met this man. Just wonder why they didn't get a better angle. Maybe they will one day. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested to see it. I know no one likes being questioned. Those close to one another don't need proof, and I guess they're the only ones that really matter. I know they don't have to prove anything to me. Just speaking my mind.

21 hours ago, mgalovic said:

Blah blah blah

I take back what I said about Joe Kinney's #4 close. It's hard to get the perfect angle while straining on a close that difficult. I just saw Paul Knight's and Val's #4 close, and they're no better. 

18 minutes ago, mgalovic said:

I take back what I said about Joe Kinney's #4 close. It's hard to get the perfect angle while straining on a close that difficult. I just saw Paul Knight's and Val's #4 close, and they're no better. 

Dude, Jared was just making a point when he mentioned Kinney.  He wasn't trying to open up a discussion about it.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Daniel Fleming said:

Dude, Jared was just making a point when he mentioned Kinney.  He wasn't trying to open up a discussion about it.

I kno. I work for a call center. When the call volume gets low and get bored that's what happens.

I meant to post this a few days ago, when I was confused by some of the posts. Since then, things have become a little more clear. But I like to think of it as an actual discussion among gripboard members:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 4:35 PM, odin said:

Great work Jared! I hereby dub thee "Hubcules".

I foresee a supermatch with Hubgeezer in your future. Be aware, and beware, he is something like 12-1 in hub-related competition. With your work ethic and perseverance plus hubbing talent, you definitely have a great shot vs. Mike in the near future.

I have kept quiet about this for almost four months. But I have to confess: I am HORRIBLE on shallow hubs and "real" hubs. I am participating in the King Kong contest, and I figured I needed to put that out there in advance. I presume it will be my weakest event of the four disciplines contested..

And in May, I was in third place at the San Jose Fit Expo. I think that puts me at 10-2 claw method.  My ONLY claim to fame is I am one of the few who beat Mike Burke in a grip contest in ANYTHING...(IM Hub, 2013).

If I finish "middle of the pack" on the stubby hub I will count myself lucky.

Jared is good at this lift.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2016 at 9:27 AM, Jared Goguen said:

Feeling good about this. 50.5lbs came off the floor but slipped.

Awesome!!!  Congrats!  Hub has always been my favorite.

10 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I have kept quiet about this for almost four months. But I have to confess: I am HORRIBLE on shallow hubs and "real" hubs. I am participating in the King Kong contest, and I figured I needed to put that out there in advance. I presume it will be my weakest event of the four disciplines contested..

And in May, I was in third place at the San Jose Fit Expo. I think that puts me at 10-2 claw method.  My ONLY claim to fame is I am one of the few who beat Mike Burke in a grip contest in ANYTHING...(IM Hub, 2013).

If I finish "middle of the pack" on the stubby hub I will count myself lucky.

Jared is good at this lift.

Hey Hubgeezer, so you were in a grip comp at the San Jose Fit Expo?  I almost went.  I was down the street.  I'm going next year.

4 minutes ago, Blackdog said:

Hey Hubgeezer, so you were in a grip comp at the San Jose Fit Expo?  I almost went.  I was down the street.  I'm going next year.

Oh yeah, been to all 5 of them so far. I live 60 miles South. As I get older, I get the "sympathy applause". I must be looking way older these days, as they seemed to cheer extra loud last time. Next year, I am going to drag a young lady from the office to compete.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking since we have so many shallow hub experts here in this thread you could all weight in on this finger placement from King Kong yesterday.

nvxWjcx.jpg

• Like 1

@Jared Goguen     

When you post videos to grip board, you have to understand that people are allowed to give opinions (regarding your shallow dubhub video)

In regards to THIS lift... in my opinion it looks legit.  Even in the still photo you can see that just the tips of his index and middle are on the hub.  

That "shallow hub experts" comment was unnecessary Jared...

What's interesting is how you were defending your shallow hub lift even after still photos were provided where your hand was so slanted it almost looked like both of your knuckles were touching the flat part of the implement.  Not to mention how you also set up for the hub lift by grabbing it completely from the side which leans towards more of a doorknobbing effect.
 But in the still photo of Pasi's lift it looks clear to me that his first knuckles arent touching the flat part, and his second  knuckles are nowhere near touching.
  Also, he set up with completely straight with the implement. Didnt grab it from the side at all.
So he's not doorknobbing it, it looks like more of a slanted fingertip lift.

I'm not trying to argue, im just going by facts that have been provided throughout this thread, and also my opinion on Pasi's lift.

Edited by Daniel Fleming
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Daniel Fleming said:

@Jared Goguen     

When you post videos to grip board, you have to understand that people are allowed to give opinions (regarding your shallow dubhub video)

In regards to THIS lift... in my opinion it looks legit.  Even in the still photo you can see that just the tips of his index and middle are on the hub.  

That "shallow hub experts" comment was unnecessary Jared...

What's interesting is how you were defending your shallow hub lift even after still photos were provided where your hand was so slanted it almost looked like both of your knuckles were touching the flat part of the implement.  Not to mention how you also set up for the hub lift by grabbing it completely from the side which leans towards more of a doorknobbing effect.
 But in the still photo of Pasi's lift it looks clear to me that his first knuckles arent touching the flat part, and his second  knuckles are nowhere near touching.
  Also, he set up with completely straight with the implement. Didnt grab it from the side at all.
So he's not doorknobbing it, it looks like more of a slanted fingertip lift.

I'm not trying to argue, im just going by facts that have been provided throughout this thread, and also my opinion on Pasi's lift.

@Ivan Beritashvili Care to share your thoughts on this?

Our hands are pretty much the same except mine is smaller. When I look at these two photos I pretty much see the same thing. Also setup means nothing, you can do anything you like before the weights leave the ground.

So either both lifts are good or both are bad but anyway you spin it both have the fingers curled in and a straight forward video can only tell so much. Do you disagree with that?

35U1Oaw.jpg

My main point here being that its very hard to judge from a video what is good and what isn't.

Edited by Jared Goguen

Upon thinking about it more and more I can see the questioning of my lift here and that's fine.

I do think the rules leave a bit much of for interpretation which is the problem with hub. I asked Gil to remove my number from his leader board and ill resubmit. Ill try to take a better video or two video both up close and far away of the same lift.

I think claw grip is hard to judge, and ill try to submit a video where there is no finger curl or reduced enough so its more clear to see what is going on.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

Upon thinking about it more and more I can see the questioning of my lift here and that's fine.

I do think the rules leave a bit much of for interpretation which is the problem with hub. I asked Gil to remove my number from his leader board and ill resubmit. Ill try to take a better video or two video both up close and far away of the same lift.

I think claw grip is hard to judge, and ill try to submit a video where there is no finger curl or reduced enough so its more clear to see what is going on.

Props on your feat of strength either way bro! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jared Goguen said:

@Ivan Beritashvili Care to share your thoughts on this?

Our hands are pretty much the same except mine is smaller. When I look at these two photos I pretty much see the same thing. Also setup means nothing, you can do anything you like before the weights leave the ground.

So either both lifts are good or both are bad but anyway you spin it both have the fingers curled in and a straight forward video can only tell so much. Do you disagree with that?

35U1Oaw.jpg

My main point here being that its very hard to judge from a video what is good and what isn't.

If you look at the pictures above and watch the video it appears that Pasi is using all of his fingers to get a purchase on the hub. Which personally I see nothing wrong with BUT doesn't that violate Horne's rule of using the claw grip on the shallow hub. I mean if you look at Jared's hand above, that appears to be in line with Horne's claw grip rule much more than Pasi's picture.