48.5lb Shallow Hub PR

Jared Goguen

Feeling good about this. 50.5lbs came off the floor but slipped.

Edited by Jared Goguen
  • Like 11

Damn dude!  Your hub work is amazing!

16 minutes ago, Daniel Fleming said:

Damn dude!  Your hub work is amazing!

Thanks dude!

I think my hub lifting technique is fine by I would like to hear opinions.

Here's the rules from David's site.
Only the Hub is to be grasped. To keep this lift within the spirit of the Hub Lift (proper ‘claw’ style), only the fingertips of the thumb, index and middle fingers are to grasp the Hub. The fingertips are the distal phalanges. The other two fingers may oppose, or not be on at all. These are the fingers that grasp slightly slanted.
The apparatus is lifted until the marker jutting out at the bottom (at 3.5” from the floor) touches a horizontal bar placed at 16.5”, measured from the underside of the bar to the floor. This allows a 13” lift.
There is no referee’s signal. You do not have to be erect upon completion. You must lower the weight under control (hand grasping it all the way down). If the top accidentally touches the bar before the weight itself, referee’s discretion will be used to judge whether the correct height was attained.
You must not intentionally tilt the apparatus to gain leverage.

• Like 1

My advice:  message David directly on this bro.  He's the one that'll give you the best answer.  It's just speculation from everyone else.

What do you think @David Horne? I think this is a perfect fine way to lift the hub.

1 hour ago, Jose Cabrera said:

I beleive Horne requires the finger be vertical on the hub, not 100% sure though

Countless hub lifts in comes have bent fingers. No one hubs as if they are pinching with perfectly straight fingers.

Great work Jared! I hereby dub thee "Hubcules".

I foresee a supermatch with Hubgeezer in your future. Be aware, and beware, he is something like 12-1 in hub-related competition. With your work ethic and perseverance plus hubbing talent, you definitely have a great shot vs. Mike in the near future.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, odin said:

Great work Jared! I hereby dub thee "Hubcules".

I foresee a supermatch with Hubgeezer in your future. Be aware, and beware, he is something like 12-1 in hub-related competition. With your work ethic and perseverance plus hubbing talent, you definitely have a great shot vs. Mike in the near future.

I'm going to try my best live up to that name.

I'm giving it my all here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, David Mitti said:

Monster Lift Jared! 

Thank you David.

13 hours ago, Jared Goguen said:

Countless hub lifts in comes have bent fingers. No one hubs as if they are pinching with perfectly straight fingers.

I meant you can't curl the fingers on the side, you should ask him. Im aware that few people lift with perfectly straight fingers. I think there was a pretty big debate over the grip some time ago. I personally curl the thumb,  which i dont think is allowed in his comps. Again i could be wrong

Did anyone watch the video i posted? Im not using the sides of my fingers. If twisting your fingers up is against the rules then they need to be re written.

Dude, of course i watched your video, and it was a crazy lift on a shallow hub. The rules on this lift are very confusing and vague

Shit iv never bothered training the shallow hub because i thought i cant tuck my thumb, if i can, its on homie, im comin for you

Nah dude the video above where i show clearly how im grasping the hub.

I'm tucking or doing anything different then anyone else or anything that has been done and videoed at once of Davids comps.

I saw, i understand what youre doing with youre hand, with the hub you want your palm as close as possible to create pressure, its the angle of the fingers that may not be allowed. To be clear, im very happy for you, that was an awesome lift.please dont get my intentions twisted, communication on this is tricky

That video of David is exactly how Jared is gripping the hub, so I would assume that it is allowed.

Good job again Jared, your hub work is very strong and I'm not trying to take anything away from that just to be clear. When I first watched the video on instagram it looked like a doorknob grip because of the twist of the fingers, it's hard to tell if the sides of the fingers touch the hub or not. I also I had the impression that the rules are strict -with fingers not rotating or maybe rotating a little. In King Kong last year I didn't twist my fingers at all because I thought it was not allowed, and neither did the other competitors here in California from what I remember. I originally asked Jared about it on IG because I wanted to make sure I know the rules well in case I host a king kong this year. I've seen crazy techniques on the hub and IMO as long as everyone follows the same rules it doesn't matter. A strict form without any twisting though will always be more bulletproof to judging. But I undestand with grip sport even small changes in finger placement can make a good difference and if the technique is legal then why not. 

and thank you Jared for motivating me to train the shallow hub as we speak lol 

This is what David said on the subject.

"Jared, I've just viewed your video. Firstly your style of lift: only the end phalange on each digit is allowed to grip the hub. So when you straighten your grip this is fine. But if you start the lift with the slanted style and with a part of the middle phalange touching, then this is a failed lift. Secondly the Shallow Hub has to be performed on a rigid World of Grip Shallow Hub, but I'm guessing you know this, and are just training with the hub you are using. Hope this helps, David"

• Like 3

thanks for sharing man, just to be clear the start of the lift is after the wt leaves the floor right?:P  pre loading doesn't count right? would he pass of fail your attempt? 

1 hour ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

thanks for sharing man, just to be clear the start of the lift is after the wt leaves the floor right?:P  pre loading doesn't count right? would he pass of fail your attempt? 

I followed the rules as stated. Clearly you think I didn't and that's fine. Ill keep doing things with in the rules listed, if they rules change then I will change my lift according.

His rules are pretty clear. If you feel like they are not clear enough then you should write him and ask him to add more to rules.

Only the Hub is to be grasped. To keep this lift within the spirit of the Hub Lift (proper ‘claw’ style), only the fingertips of the thumb, index and middle fingers are to grasp the Hub. The fingertips are the distal phalanges. The other two fingers may oppose, or not be on at all. These are the fingers that grasp slightly slanted.
The apparatus is lifted until the marker jutting out at the bottom (at 3.5” from the floor) touches a horizontal bar placed at 16.5”, measured from the underside of the bar to the floor. This allows a 13” lift.
There is no referee’s signal. You do not have to be erect upon completion. You must lower the weight under control (hand grasping it all the way down). If the top accidentally touches the bar before the weight itself, referee’s discretion will be used to judge whether the correct height was attained.
You must not intentionally tilt the apparatus to gain leverage

I have clearly demonstrated that my contact points are only the distal phalanges, and in turn meeting the grasping portion of the rules and I think its pretty clear I lifted it high enough.