First time over 30 pullups! Woo Hoo!

David_wigren

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

29.1 behind.  :laugh

https://youtu.be/ayfnto5Irfo

You'd still crush me at any grip event and almost every other sttength lift out there that isn't a bodyweight exercise!

• Like 1

Did 34 just now. The day after a 2 hour armwrestling session. Left wrist, biceps, and shoulder was trashed but fortunately didn't affect my pullups that much. Will be getting 35 soon

• Like 2

Here's 33 of the 34 pullups on video. Couldn't fit the whole set within the 1 minute time frame, in spite of upping the speed 2x halfway in to the video. Had to mute the video due to copyright shit.

• Like 3

Strong stuff Wiggy!  Very strict also.

• 2 weeks later...
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 4:24 PM, David_wigren said:

Did 34 just now. The day after a 2 hour armwrestling session. Left wrist, biceps, and shoulder was trashed but fortunately didn't affect my pullups that much. Will be getting 35 soon

29 behind.  Creeping up 0.1 at a time.  

• Like 2

I scoured the internet and found some stats to make me feel good about my 5 chin ups.  Now if I can just find a chart that takes into account my geriatric situation, along with my 240 pounds, I'm going to have a t-shirt printed that says, "WORLD CLASS CHINNER!!!"

THE AVERAGE GUY’S CHINUP COUNT
Weight        Total
140-159       8-12 
160-179       7-10
180-200      3-5    
200+           1-3

:rock

• Like 2

I'd wager a good portion of society 180+ couldn't do one. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2016 at 8:09 PM, Shoggoth said:

I'd wager a good portion of society 180+ couldn't do one. 

I'd say about half of the male population between 18 and 40 at 180 lbs couldn't do a pullup if their life depended on it! I hang around alot at a university so I see alot of 19-25 year olds. People who should be in shape just for being young and moving about. Most of them look like soft dough, skinny and already with a beer belly growing.

• Like 4

I put some 2- inch wide PVC piping over my chin- up bar. You get a really good pump in your wrists, and on the bottom side of your forearms. Then, I do a few sets without them to really work the lats.

On 12/09/2016 at 2:12 PM, mgalovic said:

Impressive. That's a wide base. Now to build a peak. I wonder how many one arm pull-ups you could do.

I can do one if I jump into it and use alot of momentum. But if I start from a straight arm dead hang I only get a little over half way up. Doing proper one arm pullups is one of my goals this winter. But I can't train it right now since both my biceps tendons are inflamed since a few weeks back :( but as soon as it lets up I will train it hard!

18 hours ago, mgalovic said:

I put some 2- inch wide PVC piping over my chin- up bar. You get a really good pump in your wrists, and on the bottom side of your forearms. Then, I do a few sets without them to really work the lats.

That's a very good setup. Sounds very similar to something I used a few years back. I used a 50 mm metal pipe that revolved around some loosely tied straps. I remember 7 pullups being my personal record on that setup.

2 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I can do one if I jump into it and use alot of momentum. But if I start from a straight arm dead hang I only get a little over half way up. Doing proper one arm pullups is one of my goals this winter. But I can't train it right now since both my biceps tendons are inflamed since a few weeks back :( but as soon as it lets up I will train it hard!

That's a very good setup. Sounds very similar to something I used a few years back. I used a 50 mm metal pipe that revolved around some loosely tied straps. I remember 7 pullups being my personal record on that setup.

One arm negatives, after a good warm-up, might be good after your bicep heals. A good cool down afterwards is important too. Training like that , you'll need more rest for those body parts between sessions. My elbows and wrists have been acting up a little too. I massage and do acupressure with my fingers sometimes when it starts to hurt. That combined with moving it around a little seems to help. I've read ice is good for inflammation, but I haven't gone that far yet. Turmeric is anti- inflammatory. I've read it only works well combined with pepper which increases absorption. I use fresh squeezed lemon to alkalize my blood. I know that's a different matter, but I think it helps.  Also, grains are inflammatory substances. Whole grains are better than enriched wheat flour (white breads and pastas).

I got one of those $20 walmart doorway chin- up bars. Its nice, because it is really easy to slip the two pieces of pvc pipe on and off over the ends. Chin-ups are the hardest (I get around 9), followed by pull- ups (10-12 reps maybe), then parallel grip where your hands face each other (I could get more, but I stop somewhere between 10- 15). Don't want to get my heart beating too fast all at once. I was surprised by how well these seem to work the wrists and forearms. I'm thinking about trying a 3 inch pipe to see how it works eventually. 50mm = 1.9685 inches.

• 1 month later...

Viking strong!

Knocked out 7 the other day while the kid was swinging.  You're safe.  Haha

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Did 40 reps a few weeks ago😎. And ysterday I did 19 reps with 20 kg added. Wanted to go for 20 reps with 20 kg since it's such a nice round number. The ultimate goal would be to some day do 20 pullups with 20 kg, deadlift 200 kg, and run a sub 20 minut 5 k. All in the same day. I've done them before, but at diffetent times where I've specialized on one or the other. But never all on the same day. That would be pretty cool 😃. Right now my deadlift is probably down to 180ish kg since I don't train it. And I probably wouldn't break 22 minutes even with a gun to my head. But I think by the end of summer 2017 I can make it happen!💪

• Like 1

40 reps!! That's an elite Club you join buddy, regardless of Bodyweight... 40 pull-ups, that's an amazing feat of strength and endurance... nice!! Congratulations!!!

20 reps with +20kg would also be quite a feat to be proud of!! Rock on, sir!

• Like 1

Thank you! Super happy with 40. I was more than content with 20 reps, which I hit for the first time almost 3 years ago now. Back then I didn't think I'd ever hit 30 let alone 40. They're not 100 % strict though. I call it "common form". Most would consider them "good" but they definitely wouldn't fly at any serious competition. But I'm just doing them for fun and to aid the armwrestling. I don't care too about form as long as it's not completely shit. 

Mike, you're my favorite American. If I'm ever in the New York, Pennsylvania area I'll for sure make a serious effort to set asside a day for some training over at Cletus's house!😃

• Like 1

Just made my Christmas.  You're my favorite Swede as well.  Unfortunately, my wife would go with Henrik Zetterburg.  But that's only because she wants to marry him and have me murdered.

On 12/23/2016 at 11:42 AM, David_wigren said:

Did 40 reps a few weeks ago😎. And ysterday I did 19 reps with 20 kg added. Wanted to go for 20 reps with 20 kg since it's such a nice round number. The ultimate goal would be to some day do 20 pullups with 20 kg, deadlift 200 kg, and run a sub 20 minut 5 k. All in the same day. I've done them before, but at diffetent times where I've specialized on one or the other. But never all on the same day. That would be pretty cool 😃. Right now my deadlift is probably down to 180ish kg since I don't train it. And I probably wouldn't break 22 minutes even with a gun to my head. But I think by the end of summer 2017 I can make it happen!💪

This is a pretty cool challenge - you have to be pretty well rounded to get all three at the same time.

• 2 months later...