First time over 30 pullups! Woo Hoo!

David_wigren

Did 31 pullups yesterday which was my best ever. Decided to gilm it in the gym today and did 31 again! I'm no Evan but I felt pretty good about that. Pretty decent form on the first 20-25 but I start to kip a bit on the last few. But whatever I'm stoked about it snyways! :)

• Like 15

That's awesome buddy. I'd need to be bisected right below the nipples to have a chance at that lol!

• Like 4

Great job! I had a goal to hit 30 strict pull-ups but stalled out around 24-25, any tips on how you pushed on to 30+?

6 hours ago, patrickmeniru said:

Great job! I had a goal to hit 30 strict pull-ups but stalled out around 24-25, any tips on how you pushed on to 30+?

Thank you brother! Just keep hammering all kind of pulling exercises. Switch it up all the time. Vary weights, reps, volume, and frequency over different periods. Some periods I'll do some type of pullup work evey day. Other periods I'll do heavy weighted pullups once or twice a week. Doing the same thing for to long is how you platå.

• Like 1

Wow, David, that is phenomenal bro. Nice job.

• Like 1

Awesome work!  What's your bodyweight now? 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2016 at 5:37 PM, David_wigren said:

Thank you brother! Just keep hammering all kind of pulling exercises. Switch it up all the time. Vary weights, reps, volume, and frequency over different periods. Some periods I'll do some type of pullup work evey day. Other periods I'll do heavy weighted pullups once or twice a week. Doing the same thing for to long is how you platå.

Sounds sensible to me! I'm definitely guilty of not putting in enough variety in the pulling movements I do. Cheers.

• Like 2

strong work brother!! and your chin doesn't even need to go that high in official comps/records! I bet you can do more with a bit wider grip and chin just over the bar! 

• Like 2

On 15/06/2016 at 9:20 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

Wow, David, that is phenomenal bro. Nice job.

Thank you Napalm!

On 16/06/2016 at 6:23 PM, climber511 said:

Awesome work!  What's your bodyweight now? 

Thank you Chris. I'm floating around 80-82 kg in the morning. Which is weird that my pullup strength has gone up since I was around 75-77 kg a few months ago. Maybe I was just to lean before.

18 hours ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

strong work brother!! and your chin doesn't even need to go that high in official comps/records! I bet you can do more with a bit wider grip and chin just over the bar! 

Thank you brother! I actually prefer the closer grip. I do less reps with the wider grip. Yes I clear the bar with some margin on most of my reps but at the same time I don't fully extend in the bottom so taking that into account I don't think I'd do much more in an official contest.

• Like 1

I also prefer close grip but if you see the guys that go for world records they go wide and barely the chin over the bar. I think it's a matter of training and getting used to using your lats maybe a bit differently. At first it feels harder but If you train that way a few times it will feel easier I think. I've haven't trained regular pullups since my days in the military until recently for corey hall's challenge on ig :P IMO grip strength definately helps stay longer on the bar and also strong grip makes all the muscles along the kinetic chain work more efficiently ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

I also prefer close grip but if you see the guys that go for world records they go wide and barely the chin over the bar. I think it's a matter of training and getting used to using your lats maybe a bit differently. At first it feels harder but If you train that way a few times it will feel easier I think. I've haven't trained regular pullups since my days in the military until recently for corey hall's challenge on ig :P IMO grip strength definately helps stay longer on the bar and also strong grip makes all the muscles along the kinetic chain work more efficiently ;)

The advantages of being a grip guy :) grip is no problem for me as it shouldn't be for most of us. In fact the fay before I did the exact amount of reps on a soccer goal, so grip is absolutely no factor for me in the pullups. I could probably hang on for at least another minute after I'm completely spent on the pullups. 

I understand that holding it wider will work your arms and lats differently. But I'm pretty anti to the idea of adopting a wider grip solely to increase the number of reps. Chin ups and pullups has been contested in Sweden at different fitness events since forever. And the grip of the athletes have steadily gotten wider and wider to shorten the ROM almost to the point of being ridiculous. I would personally prefer to set a rule of a max width of not much wider than 70 cm or something like that.

• Like 2

Good point, if you are not competing in calisthenics I'd say who cares as long as you are getting stronger. but in competitions you see a lot of texhniques that guys get away with, and it sucks if uou are going against them. With dips Ive seen it at the sj fit expo when I competed. I cant even exlain what some guys were doing to resuce the rom. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's a great feat Wiggy!  I'm only 26 behind you, so look out!  :laugh

• Like 2

Awesome work David!

• Like 1

Nice. My best numbers came from using a closer grip personally. Rings helped a lot to keep my shoulder healthy with the volume.

• Like 1

Thank you guys! Did 33 reps the other day. Upwards an onwards :)

• Like 1

On 07/08/2016 at 2:04 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

This kid's hovering around 80kg too.  He can do 100 pullups if there's a cheeseburger hanging above the bar.  :blink

https://youtu.be/tyo4LlYC3x8

Great stuff Wiggy!

Lol, I don't think I remember the last time I had a burger. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Lol, I don't think I remember the last time I had a burger. 

That kid can't remember a day he didn't have 5.

• Like 1