Grip Sport Contest Prep

Jeff Parker

New log focusing on getting ready for upcoming Grip Sport comps.  Right now I'm preparing for both Legends and King Kong.

6/8/16 Trained at Jakes

Random gripper closes

2.5" FBBC glass bar.  Good lifts at 181, then 195 pulled partially a bunch and 191 partially  bunch.

DH Shallow Hub.  Worked up to 55, tried 56.5 but don't remember if I got it.

2.5 crusher little big horn and Sahlaney Dumbbells rep work.

• Like 3

6/10/16

1HP 58mm.  Several singles at 82, easy but my thumb webbing is not healed yet from nationals.

Ironmind pinch block 65x6,6 right and 3,3 left

DH shallow hub.  46.5x6,6 left and 1,1 right

2"vbar 221 left and right PR!  201x4,4,5 left and right

5" pinch block 44x6,6 right and 4,4 left

Wrist roller and TTK circuit

Finger curls 135x10DO and 5DU, 3 sets

• Like 2

6/12/16 

I'm not going to be in a contest with grippers until probably next nationals so most of the time I train grippers it's just going to be maintainece work like a single or 2 on a 155.  I'll throw silver bullet in sometimes as well.

20mm gripper work

IM silver bullet 155#3x14 right 5 left

2.5" crusher.  122x4,4,5,6 right 122x3,3,4,4 left

Little Big Horn 131x3,5 right 2,4 left

Finger Curls 185x5,5,5,5

Some light bending

Edited by Jeff Parker

6/14/16

Hub Challenge.  All done left handed.  44.8x26.57, 52.9x14, 34.25x55, 37x45.95.  Random untimed holds right

IM Pinch Block 65x5, 67.5x5, 70x5 right 55x5, 57.5x5, 60x5

2" Vbar. Barely missed a 223.5pb PR attempt right.  Volume work with 203.5, just getting in a lot of singles and doubles.

Will get some wrist roller, TTK and finger curls in later tonight

6/18/16. Working at in laws Resturant 12 hours a day 6 days a week for 2 weeks so numbers will be down.  Hands and forearms are constantly fatigued from cooking on woks deep fryers, cutting veggies and meat and washing dishes.  Today had to train on tile because of construction at their house so had to be very conservative to not drop anything

2.5" crusher right 127.5x3,2,2 left 117.5x3,2,2

DH Shallow Hub. Left 49, 52, 56x partial, 49x4,4,4.  Right 49, 52, 56x no lift 49x1,1,1

Little Big Horn.  Lots of singles at 119, 124 and 129.

Pony Clamp work and Finger curls on handles later today

• Like 1

6/21/16 Worked out with Chris and Kong late after the Resturant closed, didn't have time to post workout

Did not keep track of everything, just had a good time lifting weights and hanging out.  

4" metal pinch block worked up to 60lb

2.5" crusher some heavy singles than 110x26 switching hands as needed

DH Shallow Hub up to an easy 51.5 then some rep outs at 40.  

Little Big Horn up to 140ish and then rep outs and holds around 120ish

6/26/16

Hub challenge.  Did my 44.5lb plate for I think 35 seconds, haven't reviewed the video yet.

1HP 58mm worked up to a couple singles at 98, pretty easy but thumb tearing again.  I'm going to have to go back down to a thinner width.

DH Shallow Hub worked up to a couple singles at 51.5.  Some rep work around 44

2" Vbar worked up to a PR of 226lbs both left and right.  This is now over body weight as I have dropped down to 215 body weight with a short term goal body weight of 205.  This will be down from an all time high of 262 2 years ago and 242 just 2 and a half months ago.

Some wrist roller work

DH thumb screws white spring up to level 6 both hands and lots of reps at level 3 and 1.

6/28/16 Bodyweight down to 213

20mm gripper work

2.5" crusher Partial lift at 137 left handed would have been a PR, up to 144.5 right handed then 120x16,12 switching hands as needed

Stirup work

little big horn 131x8 switching hands

pulls ups finger curls and wrist roller later tonight 

• 2 weeks later...

7/8/16 trained at Jakes Bodyweight down to 210

2 3/8s Axle up to 255 and a set of reps at a lower weight

Glass Bar 2.5" up to 182 for a double and a few sets of reps at a lower weight

4" climber pinch block up to 67

Armwrestling practice with Jake

At home later at night pull ups on and off for 8 hours.  I really like having one of those doorway pullup bars now as I can be playing with my daughter or watching tv and just knock out a set right there all day.

7/11/16

IM pinch block up to 75

DO Axle up to 295, can't believe how bad I am at this event....

Little Big Horn up to 151

Lots of various hub pinch and thickbar lifting

7/15/16 Bodyweight down to 208

Up to 100lbs one hand euro, also got an easy double at 97.

Did some hub work for the hubchamp challenge

Circuit.  265lbs DO Axle, 177lbs 2hand euro pinch, 131lbs little big horn each hand and 43lbs 5" pinch block each hand.  No rest between exercises, 2 minutes rest between sets, 5 sets

Edited by Jeff Parker

• 4 weeks later...

8/8/16. Just got back from a 3 week vacation in Disney World.  Great time with my family, very little training.  I took a doorway pull-up bar with me and every 3 days did a pullup and push-up routine.  Getting in one workout before Legends this Saturday.  Bodyweight 207.  

DO Axle up to 285.  3 sets of doubles at 265.  

Ironmind pinch block 2 handed up to 140.  3 sets of doubles at 125.

Little Big Horn up to 143.  3 sets of doubles at 128

Ironmind pinch block 1 handed up to 70.  3 sets of doubles at 65.

5" pinch block 1 handed 3 sets of doubles at 43lbs.

Wrist roller and general weightlifting later tonight

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

8/17/16. Legends was an awesome contest, very fun to be there, but it was by far my worst performing contest ever.  Ok, after 13 years of grip sport I need to change things up big time.  

Heres my new workout plan to get ready for King Kong.  I will be recording every lift and getting a total weight lifted for each set of lifts.  Here on my log  I'm just going to  log total weight lifted for each event. On paper every lift and set is recorded. I'm going to record the 4 lifts of King Kong and DO FatGripz.  I'll be doing various wrist and thumb work but not recording it.  Each workout my total weight for each event lifted has to go up by 5%. I don't care if it goes up by 5% because I did more sets or reps or weights, as long as my total workload goes up by 5% each event in fine.  To give myself a baseline today I did a pretty hard workout, 20 minutes per exercise, taking small breaks.  I also made sure my left gets just as much volume as my right as I want to fix my problem of my right out lifting my left by too much. We shall see how this goes.

Im also going to do my best to get in 15 workouts before the contest.  If I can get all 15 in and I can increase total volume by at least 5% each workout my total volume lifted my last workout before King Kong will be at least 50,000lbs, or double what I'm doing now.

1HP 52mm.  Right 2,258lbs Left 2,262lbs

2.5" crusher Right 2,778lbs Left 2,797lbs

Shallow Hub Right 642lbs Left 761.5lbs

2" Vbar Right 3,647lbs Left 3,647lbs 

DO FatGripz 5,500lbs

Total weight lifted 24,292.5lbs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, avasatu said:

What are your individual best lifts on each implement, and what is your weight class, if you don't mind me asking?

Weight class I'm not sure, I've been between 230 and 260 for a long time now but I'm currently trying to get under 200.  I weigh 206 right now.

Best lifts are

1HP 107

2.5" crusher 147

DH Shallow Hub 58 I think?  Maybe more

2" Vbar 226

• Like 2

8/19/16

Armwrestling training with Jake.  About and hour and a half of pulling with breaks in between.  Going to try out my first armwrestling contest a week from tomorrow.  Need to drop 8lbs before then so I can compete in the under 198 Novice class.

Arms are pretty sore, grip is sore in a very different way, a lot through the pinky and ring fingers.  

I'll be resuming my King Kong training as soon as my arms heal up after the armwrestling contest.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

9/1/16. Got down to 198.6lbs for the armwrestling contest but couldn't go.  Disappointed but was really happy to weigh under 200lbs for the first time in 13 years!!!

1HP 52mm Right 2,479. Left 2,551

2.5" Crusher Right 3,092. Left 3,230

DH Shallow Hub Right 719  Left 812

2" Vbar Right 3,954. Left 3,954

DO FatGripz 6,075

Total 26,866

This workout really kicked my butt.  Going to work with Jedds pinch curl block tonight.

I am also doing a personal push-up and pullup challenge where I do them everyday and increase the workload everyday.  Going to see how much I improve right before King Kong.  When I started the challenge to myself Saturday my best continuous push-ups were 32 and pull-ups were 6.  Really hoping to hit 45 push-ups and 10 pull-ups by King Kong.  That will be 8 weeks of training.

• Like 2

9/4/16

Hit all my lifts plus the 5%.  Had to rush it and head to a bbq.  No time to transfer numbers from my notebook to my log.  

9/10/16

My back is too sore to pick anything up.  I bought and assembled a swing set for my daughter, did some landscaping and put some new flooring in my basement.  All of that bending over and messed up my back, hard to stand up straight much less lift.  Did some pinch work with my DH thumb screws while sitting on the couch and some wrist curls on the wrist curl bench I made.  Hopefully my back heals up soon.

I had too much going on at work to do my pullup and push up work on Friday so today I maxed out.  Improved my max push-ups by 3 and pull-ups by 1 after almost 2 weeks of daily push-ups and pullups

You might not be doing this, but I used to do sets of max push-ups and pull- ups. I found them to be quite a strain on my heart. Now, I break it up into sets of ten for pull-ups, and sets of about 30 for push- ups with a little rest time in between sets to let my heart catch up. I only weigh about 185lb. They really do add up after a few sets.