Under the Radar - Grip Profile - Tom Scibelli

anwnate

Today's profile features Tom Scibelli.

I'm happy to be profiling Tom today.  Tom's a beast.  That's it. Nuff said.

LOL…I feel like ending the introduction right there for comedic effect…but that wouldn't do Tom Scibelli justice.  Tom himself already summed up his passion for weights  Turn up the volume and listen…it appears to be a commercial…but it's not.  Click Here.

Once again, I'm profiling someone I've been lucky enough to have met (multiple times in this case).  He's not too big on "talking," but definitely big on "doing."  I've competed with Tom several times, worked out with him once and even had a double date with my wife and his fiance/now wife (shy, but very cool).   Tom lives in Maryland.  As a former Maryland resident (14yrs) myself,  we immediately had a common bond beyond grip.  While he is like 10years younger than me,  we also shared the bond that most parents do. 

Meeting his children on several occasions, each time I was so impressed with the way they carry themselves.  I perceive this to be a direct reflection of their father.  I don't know that I've seen a more gentle caring father figure (including myself).  I'm still unsure whether Tom the Gripster/Bender or Tom the Father impresses me more.  His boys are actually following in their father's grip footsteps and starting to compete in grip.  I'm excited to watch their progress in the upcoming years.  It should be something to behold.

But…I digress.  Tom's an interesting guy.  Outwardly he is extremely calm and kind.  It's only when he tasks himself physically, that the inner beast comes out.  If you ever watch him ripping a weight off the floor…or melting a piece of steel with a couple of pieces of Cordura (and sheer will)…you'd be amazed that it's the same mild mannered man you met a few minutes before.

Tom's a pretty humble guy.  This past Fall, he competed in a Powerlifting meet…Benching 336 lbs, Squatting 545lbs and Deadlifting 622lbs.  Would you know it from reading his training log he keeps on the Gripboard?  Nope.  Not a peep.  Does he mention starting bending in March '13 and certing the Red Nail in May '13?  Nope.  Just does it.  Bastard, Hexabastard, Big Bastard, Shiny Bastard, Golden Bastard bends?  Shhhhhhh.  5 dimes, 133lb INCH, Blob50?  You have to travel over to Tom's Youtube account to find most of this stuff out.  I think the only thing Tom's actually talked about is the CTD challenge (IronMind's Crushed to Dust Challenge).  The hard work he's put in, will come to fruition on June 11th, 2016…just about 18 months after deciding he was going to accomplish this goal.

Tom also created the "National Capital Grip Championship,"…a Fall Grip Contest held just East of D.C .  This September (2016) will be the second annual year of the contest.  With Tom at the helm, I expect Grip Sport grow throughout the entire D.C Metro area.

At this point…I honestly think that Tom can simply put his mind to ANY goal…and it will fall to his will.

So…to sum up…

Tom is focused…Tom is patient…Tom's a beast.

Tom Scibellit profile pic.jpg

A few words from Tom… 

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Children?, Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable) 

Grip Board name: " Tom Scibelli "

Height: 6'1" (185cm)

Weight: 225 lbs (102kg)

Dominant Hand Size: Right: 7 7/8" in (20cm), Left: 7 15/16’’

I’m right handed, but my left hand is slightly bigger than my right which makes me better at pinch and thick bar with my left hand.  I prefer to use my right hand for grippers, although I think my left hand is pretty equal.

Country/City:  USA/MD, Clinton

Relationship Status: Married

Children:  3 children

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)? 

In 2009 I started work as a police officer in Washington DC, I wanted to help people and thought it would be an exciting job…I was very naïve.  By 2010 I was out of the police academy and on the streets.  One day I got a call for a burglary in progress.  I got to the scene and knocked on the apartment where this “burglary” was supposed to have been happening.  A lady answered the door and I asked her what was going on, was she ok, is there a burglar in here, she then pointed to a man that was standing next to her.  As soon as she pointed to this man, he tried to run past me through the door.  I grabbed him and we tumbled down some stairs, as I was trying to get a hold of him we made our way outside on to the side walk.  I eventually got both my hands on his arms while I was on top of him and I started to squeeze to try and control his arms.  I was wearing gloves at the time and as I started to squeeze I could feel his arms slipping out of my hands, it was at that point in my mind I knew I had to get a stronger grip.

The next day I started to Google about grip and found Ironmind’s website and the Captain of Crush grippers.  I ordered a trainer, #1 #1.5 and #2.  When they arrived, I could close the trainer, #1 and I believe the #1.5, but not the #2.  I started training with them about twice a week and was able to close the #2 within a couple of weeks.  I ended up getting some tendinitis in my wrist, so I stopped training them so hard, but I started doing a lot of towel pull ups and farmers walks.  That’s how I first started training grip, until I found the Gripboard in 2012.  After I found the Gripboard, I learned about all the different aspects of grip, a lot of it coming from Jedds videos.  I started training with blobs and my gripper strength went from #2 to #3 MMS in a couple of months.

So, while I started training grip back in 2010, but I feel like my "real" start in 2012 when I found the Gripboard.

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals? 

I would like to lift the INCH, pinch 2x45’s and certify on the COC3.

4.  How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training? 

I do power lifting training about 4 days/week and then train my grip after my workout. 

Right now I’m really focused on the Iron Mind's Rolling Thunder, trying to get to the magic 200lbs for the CTD challenge.  So I’ll train with the rolling thunder three days a week and then I train pinch twice a week. 

For me, I really have to specialize in something to get better at it.  I found the best results from high frequency training.

5.  What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

I’ve recently "gotten in to" learning how to fix up my truck.  I have a 03 Chevy Silverado with 214k miles on it.  When I went to take it to get emissions done this year, it failed!  That was a wakeup call to me.  Unless I wanted to spend a bunch of money to get a newer vehicle, I should probably just learn how to fix the one I have and save some money.  I’ve been tackling small projects on it each weekend.  The funny thing that I’ve found is that when I work on the truck my hands get all oily and stuff, but when I wash them off then go do a grip work out, my hand feel stronger!

I love spending time with family.

I like making stuff, usually out of wood, I like powerlifting.

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

Don’t give up on your goals!  I’ve always liked Edison’s quote: “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

Andrew Pantke

Thanks Tom.  This series will return in two weeks with Andrew Pantke

• Like 12

Can't wait to meet him on the 11th!... He's gonna whoop me!

• Like 1

Great profile. NCGC was an awesome contest and it's been great to follow Tom's strength journey on YouTube and Instagram. Few people are as consistent and dedicated.

• Like 2

Awesome profile Nate! It was Good getting to know more about how much of a beast Tom is :) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JStepien said:

Can't wait to meet him on the 11th!... He's gonna whoop me!

Thanks brother you too. But I don't think I'll be whoopin you, I haven't touched grippers in months!

6 hours ago, Squeezus said:

Great profile. NCGC was an awesome contest and it's been great to follow Tom's strength journey on YouTube and Instagram. Few people are as consistent and dedicated.

Thanks Gil!

4 hours ago, acromegaman said:

Awesome profile Nate! It was Good getting to know more about how much of a beast Tom is :) 

Thanks Delmar!

• Like 1

Nice read!

I also have a slightly bigger left hand than right and I am right handed

• 3 weeks later...