Growing Gripsport through social media.

Jared Goguen

Cool site, Silver.

• Like 2

I was watching some crossfit videos on YouTube today, they live stream regionals and then put the 3 hour per clip video up on YouTube.  They are fairly boring to watch.  Here's an example 

Now they also make recap videos that make the weekend long hours and hours of footage look very exciting.  They have announcers voice overs and music.  Here's an example  Our footage is not professionally shot and we don't have announcers during the events but I think we could still make a grip contest look exciting and inviting for newcomers.

Maybe we could get all the footage from this years Nationals, make it into an exciting 3 minute highlight video with music and graphics and then share the crap out of it.  Post it on Facebook Instagram Redit and all the other sites people are using.  End the video with a blurb about how to find out about other grip contests, NAGS site, gripboard, etc.  I'm  sure there is someone better at it than me, so please step up if you know what your doing, but if no one else wants to do it I would be glad to make a highlight video to promote our sport providing people who have film of the event share it.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Could an idea worth trying. Just need to find the right person for the voice work.

52 minutes ago, canthar said:

Could an idea worth trying. Just need to find the right person for the voice work.

Need Sam Elliot. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, silverbackgrip said:

I created a website that attempts to bring all the grip social media posts and info on comps/certs together.

On the home page is a social media program that gathers the latest "grip" posts from Facebook, YouTube and Instagram and puts it into one place.

When Posting on Facebook/Instagram, just hashtag it with #GripSport or #GripMania and the app will find your post and update itself. 

I Also put up links for leaderboards/comps.

Still a work in progress, plan on adding things to it over time.

Website is http://www.gripmania.com

oh.. and my instagram is https://www.instagram.com/brooklynsilverback/?hl=en

Hey dude!! Glad to see your alive and kicking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KapMan said:

Hey dude!! Glad to see your alive and kicking.

:rock

Great post and good ideas. Guess I'll do the gym/Garage tour when I get home. 

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:35 AM, Squeezus said:

I found out about gripsport through Reddit. 

I had no idea the GB existed until one of my grip buddies on Instagram told me about it.  Same for FBBC @Andrew P, and a lot of other things.  IG is awesome for networking, and a quick way to stay in touch with people from Finland...Italy...Even Nashville! @Squeezus  I'd also never been on a forum and posted, in my life, before the GB, so while this format is first nature for some people, be it IG, or whatever, other avenues are important for putting the sport's best foot forward.  I met @Jared Goguen on IG a long time before I was ever on the board, and I'm sure a ton of people get exposure to the sport in the same way.  There isn't always transfer-over for people, either - I was qualifying for Nationals with YouTube videos when @Jedd Johnson realized he already followed me on IG.  Multiple venues can be tedious, but a concerted effort on the board and maybe IG/FB could go a long way to growing interest, and making sure potentially interested people aren't slipping through the cracks.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 1:38 PM, Jeff Parker said:

I was watching some crossfit videos on YouTube today, they live stream regionals and then put the 3 hour per clip video up on YouTube.  They are fairly boring to watch.  Here's an example 

Now they also make recap videos that make the weekend long hours and hours of footage look very exciting.  They have announcers voice overs and music.  Here's an example  Our footage is not professionally shot and we don't have announcers during the events but I think we could still make a grip contest look exciting and inviting for newcomers.

Maybe we could get all the footage from this years Nationals, make it into an exciting 3 minute highlight video with music and graphics and then share the crap out of it.  Post it on Facebook Instagram Redit and all the other sites people are using.  End the video with a blurb about how to find out about other grip contests, NAGS site, gripboard, etc.  I'm  sure there is someone better at it than me, so please step up if you know what your doing, but if no one else wants to do it I would be glad to make a highlight video to promote our sport providing people who have film of the event share it.

Thoughts?

Strongman events are SO BORING.  They take an entire day and you probably spend 3-4 minutes actually lifting.  WSM is only popular, as are the other GL events, because they are edited and compressed down to an hour, so Eurosport can show them at Christmas, and CBS, 8 months after the fact.  This is a really good point, and a great idea!  Everyone could then promote it on IG, etc.

• Like 2

On 10 juni 2016 at 10:37 PM, Bryan Hunsaker said:

Strongman events are SO BORING.  They take an entire day and you probably spend 3-4 minutes actually lifting.  WSM is only popular, as are the other GL events, because they are edited and compressed down to an hour, so Eurosport can show them at Christmas, and CBS, 8 months after the fact.  This is a really good point, and a great idea!  Everyone could then promote it on IG, etc.

That's just really stupid. It's one of the most dynamic athletic sports there is. And off course a show sport to entertain the audience. You should have seen how many people come and look at these contests. Yesterday I was a spectator at the Strongman Champions League and it was everything but boring. 6 hours of continuos actions because you have about 12 competitors who lift. I don't want to see the short versions of only the elite lifters. 

Edited by Grind

I think one way to make grip sport more popular (if that's what you want) is to post what you do on social media. The one that gets the most views /exposure right now imo is instagram. On youtube and other places the viewer has to look for you or subscribe to you to see your vids and still has to go to your page. On ig you can see what others post on your homepage but also in the # page of what your posting. If your post is in the top post section it can be viewed by many people who don't necessarily follow you. On you tube I get 30-40 views on IG I've gotten 6-7k views with some vids. If one account with many followers reposts your vid then what you do gets even more exposure. One of my one arm pullup vids got 20k+ views when reposted by a popular calisthenics page.On my page the other day I posted a vid bending a blue nail (not a big deal for the standards here I know:P) and got 6k+ views so far. 95% of the viewers if not more know nothing about bending and I'm sure many of them would love to find out more. I've been getting a lot of private messages about grip and training in general from people around the world. The other way to make grip sport more well known is to introduce it to people who are top competitors and have many followers in other sports. For example, on IG there is a huge huge calisthenics community and climbing community. Some of these guys have many thousands followers. When they do something with grip everyone following them can see it right away. The more communities one is involved the more exposure gives to grip sport. If the only thing you are doing is grip sport though (nothing wrong with that btw) it makes it harder for you to show to a broader audience what grip sport is about. 

• Like 3

@Grind I think you may have too literally interpreted what I was saying.  I've competed in Strongman for 5 years.  Last time I competed I took 2nd at Utah's Strongest Man.  I understand the sport, and I know my way around.  Here's the reality, though: two of my buddies were actually at USS Nationals, yesterday.  One of them won US Master's Heavyweight (for the 3rd time) and the other won under 105kg.  They did some really cool and dynamic things that were great to watch for say 30 seconds to a minute at a time...but then they'd wait 2 hours before doing anything again.  They won nationals which is a huge deal, but with the exception of some brief moments, there was a lot of waiting...a lot of nothing...which wasn't entertaining.  Strongman is awesome, and I love it, as do many people.  That doesn't make it realistic to watch live, and enjoy, for the most part.  SCL has pre-setup events and a full staff to deal with 12 competitors.  It is run on a football pitch, and designed to be an entertaining venue.  Most of the time, you have 50 people, across genders and weight-classes utilizing the same implements, and generally waiting around while a skeleton crew moves/assembles/etc.  I've been on that side, too, as a promoter, and the guy who setup the 750lb yoke for a dozen competitors and repeatedly moved it back to the starting line by myself...it takes time, and it isn't always pretty.  Bottom-line, I believe we're talking about different things.  For mass-appeal of Grip (or Strongman), it may require treatment like Cross Fit on ESPN, or bigger Strongman events in how it is relayed to fans/consumers.  Rogue has done some really cool shorts from the Arnold, that may want to be referenced.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...