Bill Piche

5 10's Pinch  

20 members have voted

1. 1. 5 10's Pinch

• Pass
    • Fail

1. Must lift to full deadlift position.
2. Only chalk allowed.
3. Must be metal plates. Must lift smooth-sides-out. No rubber plates.

4. Lift must be followed to the floor.

I'm sorry but I was one of the no votes on this and my reason is that your lifting off from a cushion and what looks like towels, in my opinion one of the hardest thing to do in pinch lifts is break the weight from the ground and get it moving and you have an aid in doing that.

I know your in an apartment and don't want to drop them, clearly your more then strong enough to do this lift

I just felt like I needed to explain my no vote on it.

Moderators if lifting from cushions is acceptable please let me know and I will change my vote.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

I'm sorry but I was one of the no votes on this and my reason is that your lifting off from a cushion and what looks like towels, in my opinion one of the hardest thing to do in pinch lifts is break the weight from the ground and get it moving and you have an aid in doing that.

I know your in an apartment and don't want to drop them, clearly your more then strong enough to do this lift

I just felt like I needed to explain my no vote on it.

Moderators if lifting from cushions is acceptable please let me know and I will change my vote.

Thanks for actually explaining why, Jared!  I wanted to know the motives behind the no pass.

Im completely understand people not passing it for that reason!   I can't lift straight off the ground until I move into my basement apartment in august.  Its actually a pillow with small flat piece of wood on top, and a towel on top of that.   I stood on the pillow with it to get my feet as leveled with the plates as I could.   If in the end it's not good enough, ill just run down to the basement garage in my building and do it there quick before people wonder what the hell I'm doing, haha.

Edited by Daniel Fleming
  • Like 1

I judged yes, based on this:

1. Must lift to full deadlift position.
2. Only chalk allowed.
3. Must be metal plates. Must lift smooth-sides-out. No rubber plates.

4. Lift must be followed to the floor.

I was under the assumption that standard plates were not allowed for the 5-10, 6-10 lifts...not sure if this is the case. I also failed due to lifting off a foam pad as I used a similar pad to practice lifting the inch DB which increases the ease of the lift significantly. 

Edited by Lucasraymond

3 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

I was under the assumption that standard plates were not allowed for the 5-10, 6-10 lifts...not sure if this is the case. I also failed due to lifting off a foam pad as I used a similar pad to practice lifting the inch DB which increases the ease of the lift significantly. 

I have not seen this written anywhere (re: standard plates), but thought it was an assumption in the past. The few times I've tried standard plates, they've been tougher than Oly plates, but there may be a potential loophole in their use ( re: particular brands) I haven't thought of or seen.

I shouldve been paying more attention and not lifted off a cushion because it does look like its helping me lift them in the video. After re-watching the video, I dont think I wouldve given it a pass just for that reason.  So im fine with the fact that its failing.  I just really appreciate the different input and opinions you guys have about it. :)    I was just happy to have finally joined gripboard and was eager to submit feats.

Ill just re-record it off a completely flat surface and re-submit it next week.  I know I can lift these again! 

Only thing is I dont think the fact that theyre standard plates should change anything.  Theyre still 10lb each, slick surface, and 104mm total width.

Edited by Daniel Fleming
  • Like 4

There seems to be some issues here with the cushions and standard vs. oly.

Maybe we could get some rule clarification? @Jedd Johnson

I didn't watch the video, but regarding @Jared Goguen's post..

My first video of 5x10s pinch in 2003 actually got failed because they were standard plates.  My vote would be to continue with Olympic plates only.

I also feel the plates should be taken off a hard surface, myself.  Concrete, hard rubber matting, etc, even with foot height or below.

These are both unwritten rules that were easy to manage when it was just me or Brent and me doing the lists.  So, it looks like the rules need to be further detailed again.

Those are my thoughts...

13 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I didn't watch the video, but regarding @Jared Goguen's post..

My first video of 5x10s pinch in 2003 actually got failed because they were standard plates.  My vote would be to continue with Olympic plates only.

I also feel the plates should be taken off a hard surface, myself.  Concrete, hard rubber matting, etc, even with foot height or below.

These are both unwritten rules that were easy to manage when it was just me or Brent and me doing the lists.  So, it looks like the rules need to be further detailed again.

Those are my thoughts...

I completely agree on the whole surface issue.  I just dont understand the debate between standard vs olympic.  Whats the difference? besides the diameter of the hole.

40 minutes ago, Daniel Fleming said:

I completely agree on the whole surface issue.  I just dont understand the debate between standard vs olympic.  Whats the difference? besides the diameter of the hole.

I think the corners are rounded off pretty good on standard plates

18 minutes ago, Tom Scibelli said:

I think the corners are rounded off pretty good on standard plates

Oh, okay.  Yea, they are.   I didnt know that rounded edges were frowned upon.  I honestly thought that squared edges would give more bite and therefore be easier.     

I use 2x25lb standard plates with rounded edges as the center of my pinch device and after going to nationals and feeling a real euro with squared edges, it felt easier to lift than my device at the same width.

Edited by Daniel Fleming

11 minutes ago, Daniel Fleming said:

Oh, okay.  Yea, they are.   I didnt know that rounded edges were frowned upon.  I honestly thought that squared edges would give more bite and therefore be easier.     

I use 2x25lb standard plates with rounded edges as the center of my pinch device and after going to nationals and feeling a real euro with squared edges, it felt easier to lift than my device at the same width.

Yeah that's a good point

20 minutes ago, Daniel Fleming said:

Keep in mind that the adrenaline kick of lifting in front of a grip crowd can mask the difficulty of a particular feat. Gravity seems to lessen every time I compete. You may not find a Euro set up easier if you tried it back-to-back against your own set up at home.

16 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Keep in mind that the adrenaline kick of lifting in front of a grip crowd can mask the difficulty of a particular feat. Gravity seems to lessen every time I compete. You may not find a Euro set up easier if you tried it back-to-back against your own set up at home.

Ill test that out when I get my own euro!  Which I plan on doing soon! :)   But I still think the square edges are easier.   A while back on Jedd's instagram he posted a picture of what looks like my 2x25, round edged device, and he said he got 95 up once to lockup right handed.  And I know Jedd has numbers recorded over 110 in competition with a real euro. Or maybe he just wasnt going for a max lift that day. Hmmmm.  

Id like to get his opinion on which one's harder. @Jedd Johnson The euro, or the one in the picture below.

Jedd's device.png

My device.png

Edited by Daniel Fleming

I asked wannagrip to turn on the comments here so i could explain my no vote and he said he didnt want long conversation and thats what happens every time Mikael says the E word so maybe just start another thread please.

On 5/21/2016 at 10:32 PM, Daniel Fleming said:

The standards I have are much shorter than the Olympic.  That makes a big difference with pinching.

• Like 1