What are good target weights for wrist curls and reverse wrist curls as a percentage of body weight?

Liam Trott

Hi everyone, I am training my grip and part of that is doing wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. I have no idea what I am aiming for long term and was advised to ask a group of arm wrestlers as there are few sports that require as much wrist strength. I am interested to know what you think a good long term target is for each movement? I prefer working in percentages of body weight as it's how I do the rest of my training. This is because, unlike weightlifting, I can't find a set of standards for these exercise and I would like to have an idea of what I am working towards.

2 hours ago, Liam Trott said:

Hi everyone, I am training my grip and part of that is doing wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. I have no idea what I am aiming for long term and was advised to ask a group of arm wrestlers as there are few sports that require as much wrist strength. I am interested to know what you think a good long term target is for each movement? I prefer working in percentages of body weight as it's how I do the rest of my training. This is because, unlike weightlifting, I can't find a set of standards for these exercise and I would like to have an idea of what I am working towards.

70% and 40%.

On 5/17/2016 at 1:43 AM, Liam Trott said:

I agree that 40-70% range would be a good number, but I have seen video of Travis Bagent wrist curling 300+ with both hands. 

It's not just weight that is a factor, but also the size of the grip too. I use a device similar to a wrist wrench, and even put a fat-grip on it. You need to get the weight on your fingertips, because that is where the pressure is applied in a match.

Let's say if you are trying to set a high hook, or even a deep inside hook, you need to be able to curl by pushing with your finger tips.  Grabbing anot evenly shaped bar is not like grabbing someone's hand.

Here is a pic of the implement I use: I use weights for isometrics and resistance bands.

Like I said, get the weight as far out on the hand as possible. That 4.25" roller is home made but is pretty killer for the wrist.

1463657076301-1771922794.jpg

First question that came to mind is are you doing them with a barbell (two hands) or a DB (one hand) like many arm wrestlers do? 

That's an interesting tool you've put together. I will definitely look into thick bars and something similar to a wrist wrencher once I am a bit stronger. I am progressing well with my adjustable dumbbell at the moment.