Weaver stick

AP

I know that the weaver stick is some kind of leveraging thing but how exactly do you use it?what does it look like and where can i get one?

Guest Joe Garcia

The rules from the U.S.A.W.A. (which I believe came from the original concept) state:

Stick dimentions: 42 inches long. At one end, place a notch 1/2 inch from end. The weight will be placed in notch. Thirty six (36) inches from center of notch, mark a line on stick. This will be the foremost position of the hand. Place some sort of bracket (angle brackets will work )at this point, leaving 5 1/2 inches for the gripping surface. The gripping surface may be taped, for thickness, with non-stick tape.

Place the stick on a surface, even with the lifter's hand when hanging straight down. The stick must be lifted approximately parallel to the floor. The stick must be lifted straight up from the lifting surface, with no rocking of the stick prior to lifting. The lifting hand and arm must remain free of the body, and the heel of the hand must remain on the top of the stick. If the hand twists around the stick, the lift is not allowed. The entire weight must be free of the surface and under control. The lift ends on command.

The lift may also be made by reversing the grip and grasping the stick with the little finger towards the weight, instead of the thumb towards the weight. The body may be bent during this method of lift.

• 1 month later...

Willoughby wrote of the [George] Weaver stick in Ironman Jan 1977 p 32, and essentially it is as above

described. The average man (as of 1969) was assumed

to be able to lift 4 pounds on the WS. Paul Von Boeckman lifted 11.25 lbs. Grimek did 10 pounds with his left hand (Ironman Dec 1969 p 27)

Weaver told me that he was becoming bothered by the loose style in which the lift was being performed, and

indicated that fair comparisons were becoming difficult.

Of what material do you make a weaver stick?  Is there a certian diameter that it should be?  Would a broomstick handle be acceptable?

BC.