Under the Radar - Grip Profile - Delmar Carter

anwnate

After approx. 6 months, this is the 24th Grip Profile.  They will continue…but will be posted every OTHER Wednesday from now on.

Today's profile features Delmar Carter. 

As we proceed with these profiles, I'm struck by how lucky I've been to have met half of the gripsters profiled so far.  I was going to say "more than half", referring to today's profile, but in fact, we haven't met.  We are in touch so many ways…GripBoard PMs, Facebook, Youtube, text messages…it's easy to forget we haven't met in person.

That doesn't stop me from being proud to call Delmar a friend.  Over the last 4 years, we have looked out for each other…sharing steel, stories and awesome "Pinch Finds."  As a side note: this kind of dynamic of looking out other gripsters and benders…can only help Grip Sport grow.

I first ran across Delmar in the "Red Nail Race" thread in September of 2012.  I'll admit I didn't think too much of it at the time.  The thing is…you never know who will have the fortitude to stick around in Grip and Bending…particularly when the "newbie gains" slow or stop.  I believe that this is what separates those who eventually gain "elite" status in the Grip World.  Delmar definitely had the strength of mind that is required…no…demanded...for excellence.

In Delmar's GripBoard introduction post, he spoke of being able to "pinch grip 2x45lb plates," not realizing that that the grip feat features the smooth sides out.  Upon learning this, he was undeterred and said,  "lol. This is now one of my goals."

Delmar immediately took to bending.  I say this not because he bent elite bars right out the gate, but because he had the immediate "connection" to the steel and KNEW immediately that he was just starting on this bending journey.  I think all real steel slayers KNOW this feeling.

As it turned out, he was already knee deep in the sport of Armwrestling.  For a time, Delmar would go back and forth between these two disciplines…but 11 months after he started bending, Delmar took down the Red Dragon in single IMPs.  Four months later, on June 16th, 2013, he joined the "Red Nail Roster" by certifying on the Ironmind Red Nail.  It is timed bend (60seconds only), where a bender is only allowed two pieces of 12"x12" cordura fabric…to protect their hands.  Delmar certed in a very relaxed 14 seconds.  Although the bend was finished in 10 seconds, he decided to hit it three more times...crushing it down to  approx. 1.25" (3/4" beyond a legal cert. distance).

Following his Red Nail Cert…Delmar destroyed a succession of FBBC Certs. including the Bastard, Big Bastard, Huge Bastard, Grand Bastard, Hexabastard, Shiny Bastard and Huge Golden Bastard.  After dealing with pesky details (what I like to call…"life outside of Grip"), Delmar stepped back into the bending arena and became the first Duke of All Bastards…an 11/32 x7" FBBC Cert.

Fast-Forward to December 2015, Delmar decided to get on the Grip train.  Man...what a few select people can achieve with total focus can seem implausible!

In these last 6 months Delmar has gone an absolute tear.  He has accomplished feats that many people take YEARS to achieve (if ever).  He started with a 2x35lbs pinch DL, a 50lb hex  and 8lb sledge coin lift…followed that up with a 40lb Kettlebell bottom up DL , a Fatman Blob WITH handle pinch lift, a Double Blob DL (Fatman w/handle and a Blob50), a Blob50 clean, a 64kg thickbar DL, a 10lbs sledge coin lift, and a 3x45lb plate DL.  Since that's not impressive enough…he recently managed that 2x45lb pinch deadlift…the very same one he spoke about in his GripBoard introduction post. 

This feat train hasn't even slowed down recently.  Delmar just pulled a Barrel Strength Systems "Flask" (One Handed) DL good for third place.  If you wonder why a 3rd place is so impressive…the ONLY people ahead of him are the World Record holder on the Ironmind Pinch Block and the World Record on the 2 Hand Pinch (Euro).  I don't want to jinx the guy…but if his drive continues…he's gonna be a force to be reckoned with in GripSport.  As a "Digestif," after a bending layoff, Delmar recently came back and managed an elite bend…an Edgin (5/16 x 7 Grade 5 Bolt) in just over 5 minutes.  This video came out AFTER he sent his profile in to me. 

You know the craziest thing about all this?  Delmar has managed all of this with a medical condition he pretty much never brings up.  Knowing what it's like to deal with "medical adversity," I have the ultimate respect for this machine…er man. ;)  Rather than go over this subject twice…I'll let D.C. speak for himself.

delmar pic.jpg

7 questions to get to know Delmar.

1.      What are your stats? Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Kids? Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable)

GB name:  "Acromegaman"

This is a combination of the disease I have and my favorite video game when I was a kid.  Acromegaly + Megaman. My wife helped me think of this years back when I was trying to think of a good email name.

Height:  5’11” (180cm)

Weight:  270lbs (122kgs)

Dominant Hand: Right 8-1/4” (21cm)

Relationship Status/Children:  I have a beautiful wife (she must have felt sorry for me 12 years ago and married me J).  She then proceeded to have 2 of the best kids that a parent could hope for (1 girl and 1 boy).  I am a lucky guy!

Occupation:  Manufacturing Engineer at a Medical Device Manufacturer.

2.      Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

In 2012, I realized that outside of family, Church, and work, I really didn’t have any hobbies that I could be involved with in my spare time (other than when I had a wood working or metal working project going on).  So…I thought real hard about it and the first thing that came to my mind was…Arm Wrestling.  While I was researching and finding out more about that topic, I came across a few nail bending videos on Youtube.  Shortly after, I became hooked on both.  

I did fairly well in arm wrestling.  However, last year I decided to put that on (long term) hold due to several injuries that have kept me from training and progressing.  I also took well to the Steel Bending.

I would say that in both activities, I had to work very hard to get to the level that I reached (I certainly didn’t start off as a “Natural” in either). I still bend every now and then.  I’m not sure of my best bend to date, but I would say my best on video was a 6” Huge Golden Bastard in single IMPs.  I’ve bent a lot stronger bars, but will not claim specifics without a video.

GRIP!  I started dabbling in Grip shortly after finding out about the Gripboard in late 2012, but steel bending remained a priority until recently…right after I decided to stop the arm wrestling.

December 18, 2015 was the day I actually started my "Gripping Path." It was a Gripboard buddy (Nate) who issued a challenge to me.  I was looking for a Blob50 in the “Wanted” section and he told me that I could borrow his and I wouldn’t have to pay for shipping if I was able to clean it (a fairly rare feat) by St. Patty’s Day (91 days away).  I know it was only around $13 that was on the line, but I love a challenge.  Those are what drive me to perform well at work and in other situations so I accepted.  Then it was on!

(Note:  Delmar caught this on video 9 days before St. Patrick's Day…winning the challenge.)

Since then I have decided to slowly start working on most aspects.  But!!!  There is one (a necessary evil) that I do not plan on training…and that is grippers.  I hate those damn things!

3.      Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals?

I would say that my main Grip goal is to stay motivated and healthy, but I would really like to do something that at this point feels impossible for me…plate curl a 45 lb plate.

4.      How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

I usually workout 3-4 times a week on average and have no real rhyme or reason to my training routines.  It’s more or less what I feel like doing.

Whatever I do, I make sure to put out 100%.  It turns out that creating a routine is something that I have always struggled with. I like to think of myself as a smart guy, but damn…this makes me feel stupid sometimes. :)

5.      What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

#1- Spending time with family.

#2- Any kind of metal working that you can think of.  I have been a Machinist for the past 18 years and metal holds a special place in my heart.

#3- Woodworking or really anything that involves creativity (e.g. Crafting, Problem solving, etc.)

#4- Arm Wrestling. It's currently on the back burner, but I still plan on making some practices every now and then.

6.      Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

Ever since I was a little boy, one of my favorite cartoon shows was “Ducktales.” On it, Scrooge McDuck’s Pappy always use to say “Work smarter not Harder.”  That has been a philosophy that I try to live by.  I mention all to time to my children and anyone else that is forced to be around me. Lol.  

In Grip, I like to think of using this statement in the sense of trying new things.  This could be hand placement, chalking techniques, and whatever else may be overlooked.  You never know what might help you pop out another PR…just by trying something different.

And...since Nate specifically asked me to speak on my medical condition, I shall oblige.

In 2004, I was diagnosed with a rare disease called Acromegaly meaning “large extremities” as a result of a pituitary tumor.  One of the first things people notice about me are my hands. It has always been funny to me the reactions I get when people shake one of them. I never really thought of them as being big until I found out something was medically wrong with me.

It all started out with an eye exam on the day before my wedding back in 2004. My wife MADE me go because I have been complaining about not being able to see (among many other issues) and she wanted me to not have any problems on our upcoming honeymoon.

Well long story short, that one simple eye exam helped identify a mass on my optic nerves the size of a “Large Lemon” and led to two craniotomies, Gamma Knife radiation (the single worst and best medical experience I have ever had), and hormone therapy that I will receive for the rest of my life… and of course a disease that enlarged my extremities to noticeable proportions (e.g., head, hands, and feet).  Even though dealing with this disease has been challenging physically, it has also given me the opportunity to excel in sports that I love.  I credit my wife for saving my life among many other things. Without her...I probably wouldn’t be here.

7.      Who's Grip profile would you like to see?

Tom Scibelli would be a good one!

Thanks Delmar.  Tom will be profiled in four weeks.  This series will return in two weeks with David Horne.

• Like 13

Delmar is a beast!!

One of my most prized grip possessions is the anvil horn Delmar made and sent to me. Thanks Delmar!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom Scibelli said:

Delmar is a beast!!

One of my most prized grip possessions is the anvil horn Delmar made and sent to me. Thanks Delmar!!

Thanks Tom! I'm looking forward to seeing what you've been up to :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, anwnate said:

In Delmar's GripBoard introduction post, he spoke of being able to "pinch grip 2x45lb plates," not realizing that that the grip feat features the smooth sides out.  Upon learning this, he was undeterred and said,  "lol. This is now one of my goals."

Damn Nate! You've done your research! Lol! I forgot about this post^ I really appreciate all of the hard work you put into this an everything else you do for the Grip community. Who's awesome? Nate's awesome!

• Like 3

Delmar! Thanks for sharing all this. You are amazing and awesome. I hope we get to see you again soon!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MCrushetta said:

Delmar! Thanks for sharing all this. You are amazing and awesome. I hope we get to see you again soon!!

Ditto and definitely! 😁

• Like 1

TEAM BEASTLY BOYZ memeber right thar. Love the profile got learn about my partner even more.

• Like 1

I enjoyed reading this. Thank you Delmar

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KapMan said:

TEAM BEASTLY BOYZ memeber right thar. Love the profile got learn about my partner even more.

We're going to kill it! ;)

11 hours ago, EJ Livesey said:

I enjoyed reading this. Thank you Delmar

No problem :)

On 5/5/2016 at 1:27 PM, acromegaman said:

We're going to kill it! ;)

No doubt in my mind.

• Like 1