How would you like to see GripSport grow?

richcottrell

6 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

No one has made any comments in this threat implying one cannot or should not use anything other than the Euro pinch for training (as that part of the thread dealt with the competition aspect).

Training pinch lifting on an implement where you can change the width is however vastly superior to training at a fixed width. If you train year after year with your 58 mm pinch block what do you think will happen when you have a go at something really wide and heavy? Nothing will happen, that's what's going to happen. With a Euro-type of implement you can set it really wide by adding additional spacers and develop a super strong wide pinch grip. Training at wide settings on the Euro (at times beyond 64mm) enabled me to deadlift the 50blob with zero specific blob training and to pinch lift four 10k plates first try. If you care little about being able to exert great strength at extreme widths in the pinch then just ignore the advice above.

Do you sleep with your Euro? 

If you're not going to contribute to growth of the sport with ideas. Just shut up. The original intent of of this thread was to discuss ways we could possibly grow the sport, you've done nothing but talk about the euro, we get it you love the euro. I love mayo and jelly sandwiches doesn't mean I'm going to derail a otherwise intelligent conversation with the benefits of the great tasting mayo/jelly sandwich.

Euro isn't practical for everyone to buy, it's bulky and pricey. Many people train different widths different ways. You have this supiority complex that's really annoying. Obviously your methods have worked for you, YAY for you. May not be the case for others.

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 3

Well ok, as said not talking is worse than dealing with the annoyance.

I think talking to Strongman and Heavy Athletic (Highland) shows and getting a booth and or side grip event is a good way to promote some interest. At the very least it gets the sport out there. Many people will always view it as grip feats and little challenges but exposure is exposure.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I would love to see gripsport grow as much as anyone. Are there challenges with that? Heck yeah there are. Are some of the more commonly contested pieces of equipment expensive? Absolutely, I would not argue with that at all. Would it be great if other events were contested that the equipment was not so expensive? Absolutely. 

I have no easy answers to these things. I have been involved in grip for 10yrs now and 9+ of that as a promoter and competitor. I have seen a lot of changes to the sport over that time with some less novice friendly especially with regards to cost. Here's the thing though. There are a lot of officially tracked events for a promoter to choose from. Does every comp have to have a set of 50+ grippers for grippers, a comp euro, and Ironmind Axle? Heck no. In our sport we are not limited to 2 lifts like Oly lifting, or 3 lifts like Powerlifting. The promoter chooses the events. If there is something you want to see contested then talk to the promoter for a contest you want to go to or by all means run a comp yourself with the events you choose. Get it sanctioned and follow rules we have figured out for events, etc if you want to have the results included in the Gripsport top 100 lists, or don't. Anyone can run a small comp as opposed to a backyard training session honestly. There are some rules to getting results recognized but really, Anyone can do it.

The other thing is you don't necessarily need an expensive piece of equipment to get strong in grip. Homemade gear and wood pinch blocks, etc can get you plenty strong if you train smart and are consistent over the long haul. Does it help to train on the same exact style of equipment to be contested in a comp you are going to. Yes of course but not a requirement. The 2 comps I did which honestly cover about the last year of my training I didn't switch to the Euro until 10 days to 2 weeks out for each of them for specificity. I built my strength over the last year in both cases with static width devices. Wood pinch block primarily for the first one, and steel 2" Saxon Bar for the 2nd and I pulled over 116Kg on the Euro in the last comp.

As far as hearing suggestions for how to grow our great sport, make it more equitable and awesome, I am happy to see people putting ideas out there and I would bet every current promoter, equipment builder, and board member looks at these ideas and is trying to figure out how to incorporate this stuff if it makes sense to do so. I know I do and yes we do discuss a great deal between all of those roles.

- Aaron

• Like 5

10 hours ago, KapMan said:

Do you sleep with your Euro? 

If you're not going to contribute to growth of the sport with ideas. Just shut up. The original intent of of this thread was to discuss ways we could possibly grow the sport, you've done nothing but talk about the euro, we get it you love the euro. I love mayo and jelly sandwiches doesn't mean I'm going to derail a otherwise intelligent conversation with the benefits of the great tasting mayo/jelly sandwich.

Euro isn't practical for everyone to buy, it's bulky and pricey. Many people train different widths different ways. You have this supiority complex that's really annoying. Obviously your methods have worked for you, YAY for you. May not be the case for others.

Wow this place has gotten hostile.... Swing thru the board cuz i finally get a free minute and read this?? Why the hostility toward Mikael guys? He was one of the guys at the helm of the euro and I didn't certainly offend me with his comments. The euro had a huge impact in my training with the adjustability aspect and unless you used one then maybe you should choose your words carefully. The just shut up part was also very classy. 

Seems I haven't missed much sadly. No word from the mods on this post..? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jvance said:

Wow this place has gotten hostile.... Swing thru the board cuz i finally get a free minute and read this?? Why the hostility toward Mikael guys? He was one of the guys at the helm of the euro and I didn't certainly offend me with his comments. The euro had a huge impact in my training with the adjustability aspect and unless you used one then maybe you should choose your words carefully. The just shut up part was also very classy. 

I'm not sure if you read the whole thread or not but most of what Mikael has been posting has been rude, unhelpful, not thought out the slightest, and mostly just shitting peoples ideas and offering nothing of true value to the thread what so ever except negatively.

I hope that explains the hostility.

• Like 2

Jared,

Whilst Mikael may come across as rude I don't think his posts are either unhelpful or not thought out - perhaps he thinks that having a multitude of different devices used in competition is actively limiting the growth of the sport, and as such is taking part in the discussion as much as anyone (just from a different perspective).

If what you are after is an actual open discussion then having people come on and say "well, X is a silly idea because..." is surely part and parcel of the process?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Mac said:

Jared,

Whilst Mikael may come across as rude I don't think his posts are either unhelpful or not thought out - perhaps he thinks that having a multitude of different devices used in competition is actively limiting the growth of the sport, and as such is taking part in the discussion as much as anyone (just from a different perspective).

If what you are after is an actual open discussion then having people come on and say "well, X is a silly idea because..." is surely part and parcel of the process?

That's not what anyone is saying, The dude hasn't offered anything of value and has just defended he euro where there isn't a need to defend the euro. He comes across with this elitist attitude that is annoying at best.

6 hours ago, jvance said:

When trying to discuss how to grow the sport an the only thing you've done was maybe NOT offered a bit of anything other then talk about the Euro you've accomplished nothing other then annoy people who actually are trying to offer solutions to growing the sport. The Euro is great I suppose if you want to spend all day changing weights and widths and it seems to only be liked by hardcore elite gripsters, but that should be a different discussion that wasn't needed here. What we are discussing is ways to be more inclusive to others and make the sport grow, eventually the euro will still come into play anyway and that's fine. Maybe you should go back to the beginning of this post and read the intent by the op.  If you're not willing to read the past posts, you honestly have no dog in this fight.

15 hours ago, acorn said:

Hey guys, I would love to see gripsport grow as much as anyone. Are there challenges with that? Heck yeah there are. Are some of the more commonly contested pieces of equipment expensive? Absolutely, I would not argue with that at all. Would it be great if other events were contested that the equipment was not so expensive? Absolutely. 

I have no easy answers to these things. I have been involved in grip for 10yrs now and 9+ of that as a promoter and competitor. I have seen a lot of changes to the sport over that time with some less novice friendly especially with regards to cost. Here's the thing though. There are a lot of officially tracked events for a promoter to choose from. Does every comp have to have a set of 50+ grippers for grippers, a comp euro, and Ironmind Axle? Heck no. In our sport we are not limited to 2 lifts like Oly lifting, or 3 lifts like Powerlifting. The promoter chooses the events. If there is something you want to see contested then talk to the promoter for a contest you want to go to or by all means run a comp yourself with the events you choose. Get it sanctioned and follow rules we have figured out for events, etc if you want to have the results included in the Gripsport top 100 lists, or don't. Anyone can run a small comp as opposed to a backyard training session honestly. There are some rules to getting results recognized but really, Anyone can do it.

The other thing is you don't necessarily need an expensive piece of equipment to get strong in grip. Homemade gear and wood pinch blocks, etc can get you plenty strong if you train smart and are consistent over the long haul. Does it help to train on the same exact style of equipment to be contested in a comp you are going to. Yes of course but not a requirement. The 2 comps I did which honestly cover about the last year of my training I didn't switch to the Euro until 10 days to 2 weeks out for each of them for specificity. I built my strength over the last year in both cases with static width devices. Wood pinch block primarily for the first one, and steel 2" Saxon Bar for the 2nd and I pulled over 116Kg on the Euro in the last comp.

As far as hearing suggestions for how to grow our great sport, make it more equitable and awesome, I am happy to see people putting ideas out there and I would bet every current promoter, equipment builder, and board member looks at these ideas and is trying to figure out how to incorporate this stuff if it makes sense to do so. I know I do and yes we do discuss a great deal between all of those roles.

- Aaron

That's another thing to think about, event selection when you look at the events via the leader boards you do have a varied selection which is awesome. Not to mention you can actually attempt to be creative and make up your own events. It doesn't have to be grippers and euro variations every time. Example would be Nate's contest has RT walks. How freaking cool is that!? I think that offers a break in the same ol event almost every contest bit. Gils contest is a team contest, Since I've been on here I haven't seen a contest that requires a team effort to win.

Creativity is both a blessing and bane of sports, anytime you try and get creative you bring the butt hurt out of some and the excitement out of others. I think if were are grow I agree with Chris that we need an actual governing body and a set of laws. Right now it's just bros ruling bros. I'd like to see more women and juniors in the sport, I do not have a answer as it goes for that. I will talk with my local strongwomen crews and see what appeals to them as it goes for strength sport. I'm going to make a go at paying for and setting up a "Can you Grip it" booth at the next strongman show, if I can get on board with a Crossfit show I'll do it there too. I just don't have a lot of toy weights that won't turn people off, like small blobs/globs. At my Gym people come and try what I'm doing all the time, so I think a great way to expose the sport to folk is a interactive booth, maybe have prizes and such.

• Like 1

@KapMan For toy blocks you might just try looking for used hex bells to chop up.

Used to keep the baby inch on the turf section and tons of people would walk by and try to have a go at it. Only 3 people ever got the 135 up.

Getting more women involved can also be a HUGE factor. The first client I had climbing the rope without feet was a woman. Set off a chain of people wanting to do it. Women with more confidence that they could and men who did not want to be shown up.

• Like 2

At least in the short run - maybe the best thing each of us might do is hold a Grip Competition of any kind with any events - be it big or small - Euro or wood blocks.  So..........

Have you promoted a contest?

If not why not?

If not now - then when?

Edited by climber511
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KapMan said:

That's not what anyone is saying, The dude hasn't offered anything of value and has just defended he euro where there isn't a need to defend the euro. He comes across with this elitist attitude that is annoying at best.

When trying to discuss how to grow the sport an the only thing you've done was maybe NOT offered a bit of anything other then talk about the Euro you've accomplished nothing other then annoy people who actually are trying to offer solutions to growing the sport. The Euro is great I suppose if you want to spend all day changing weights and widths and it seems to only be liked by hardcore elite gripsters, but that should be a different discussion that wasn't needed here. What we are discussing is ways to be more inclusive to others and make the sport grow, eventually the euro will still come into play anyway and that's fine. Maybe you should go back to the beginning of this post and read the intent by the op.  If you're not willing to read the past posts, you honestly have no dog in this fight.

rude is rude... unhelpful to the growth of the sport because we have a typical forum environment going on (one of the things holding us back by the way as a sport) 

I also read everything in context and have been around this sport over five years - I'd like to believe I've earned a dog in the fight thanks....

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, climber511 said:

At least in the short run - maybe the best thing each of us might do is hold a Grip Competition of any kind with any events - be it big or small - Euro or wood blocks.  So..........

If not why not?

If not now - then when?

In the works....I don't have everything I need/want.

56 minutes ago, canthar said:

@KapMan For toy blocks you might just try looking for used hex bells to chop up.

Used to keep the baby inch on the turf section and tons of people would walk by and try to have a go at it. Only 3 people ever got the 135 up.

Getting more women involved can also be a HUGE factor. The first client I had climbing the rope without feet was a woman. Set off a chain of people wanting to do it. Women with more confidence that they could and men who did not want to be shown up.

Not a huge selection of dbs my way, I'm keeping a look out though. Patience garnered 396 pounds of standard plates for 135 bucks. Only a matter of time.

16 minutes ago, jvance said:

rude is rude... unhelpful to the growth of the sport because we have a typical forum environment going on (one of the things holding us back by the way as a sport) 

I also read everything in context and have been around this sport over five years - I'd like to believe I've earned a dog in the fight thanks....

Cool story.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2016 at 9:17 AM, richcottrell said:

While I am happy to see this thread became something many people are posting in, I feel bad that it has taken on a negative vibe.  Re-read that first post.  

Now, putting the question aside as to which implements to use in GripSport contests and what type of contest structure people like best, 
Where do you see GripSport in 10 years?

In ten years, l see a loosely organized North American gripsport association with regional divisions. I see small but dedicated grip exhibitions at sporting events. I see new contests in the southern U.S., the Midwest, west coast, and Canada. I see key gripsport hotbeds formed in NJ/NY, TN/NC, OR, OH, and TX. Contest are available on a Novice, amateur, and expo/pro level. I see scaled online challenges allowing those that are geographically isolated to compete and a larger social media presence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

If not why not?

If not now - then when?

I have not hosted a contest yet.

I do not have a venue. Equipment is one thing. I will gladly invest in equipment, money or time to make it. Renting a space for a contest, however is cost prohibitive. And then the additional measures required spiral out of control(bathrooms, floor protection, insurance, electricity, etc.). If anybody has ideas on how to secure a low cost workable venue, please message me.

I hope to get my life together someday... - humor, sort of

i asked the owner of a cro

6 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

I have not hosted a contest yet.

I do not have a venue. Equipment is one thing. I will gladly invest in equipment, money or time to make it. Renting a space for a contest, however is cost prohibitive. And then the additional measures required spiral out of control(bathrooms, floor protection, insurance, electricity, etc.). If anybody has ideas on how to secure a low cost workable venue, please message me.

I hope to get my life together someday... - humor, sort of

I asked the owner of a crossfit box that I go to. My venue is secured. Maybe that's an option for you. Hardcore gyms are another option, anyone local to you?

• Like 1

My first comp I promoted was at a gym with a hefty site fee, and also bought a euro and axle for the comp, shirts, etc. I think we had like 11 competitors or something and it was a great comp but I was also still $650 in the hole when all was said and done. We have done comps in gyms, crossfit gyms, rented space, backyards, garages, my carport and this last one at a rented covered area at a local park. Don't get hung up on venue. Lots of options and it does not have to be expensive or complicated. Most of the time I just run it at the house unless we have more than 10 competitors planned.

• Like 2

On 12.5.2016 at 4:19 AM, John McCarter said:

Okay guys, unless you have an idea to bring great ideas to the table just stop the crap posting and take it to private. Let's keep this civil. Also, it doesn't matter if you train the euro or flask; if you're intention is to get stronger then why should it matter what tool you use.

Since no one has actually taken the time to invite someone from Finland to add their say to the matter, let me begin. @Juha Harju What can other countries do to spread grip as a sport? What are other countries not doing that could make the sport of grip popular in their part of the world?

This is my 2 cents or how American people says it. :D

I have wide circle of friends including Finland's elite class pro powerlifters, strongmen and arm wrestlers. I practise with them and I organize grip sport contests, happenings etc in connection with powerlifting and strongmen competitions. By this I get all the time more and more visibility.  This way many truly strong person has meet 1st time grip sport and noticed that it isn't as easy sport as it looks for example Inch lift, coc#3 ccs, 2x20kg pinch plate lift etc. In every happening in audience are a few enthusiastic persons who wants to try species and some of them gets interested of grip sport and starts to train it. It´s very cool! 

What it has required of me that I have get grip sport popular in Finland and bring Finland´s grip sport and gripsters up to world?

1st I had to stand out and show who I am and what I can do.

It needed lot of different official certifications, intensive competing, to advice new competitors, tell and show about grip sport in different happenings. To organize Finnish Grip Championships and other contests at big stages like Nordic Fitness Expo, collect money prizes, sponsors, do co-operation with business men, other organizers, associations, well known athletes. Lot of work! At the same time from year to year prove my strength front of audience and at competitions. Also starting you tube channel and do grip feats thru it.

Publicity and popularity brings unfortunately also haters, stalkers, trolls and traitors same way as it has done for example to Joe, and to Jedd. It is very sad but forced to accept, nothing comes for free. 

Long-term hard work is the right way. Today I don´t need to prove anything to anyone anymore. Now I can focus fully teaching grip strength and powerlifting to growing number of people who are interested more and more of strength. 

-Juha

• Like 9

5 hours ago, KapMan said:

In the works....I don't have everything I need/want.

The first Gripmas Carol was really a "get together" and not a true contest but everyone brought whatever they had.  I had almost no equipment for grip.  We did some grippers - a few block weights - plate inches - one hand lift - kegs - stones - V  Bar - you name it we tried it.  There were no Euro's yet - Doc brought a Blob - and it was a blast!!!  I put a post up on the GB and simply invited everyone and anyone that wanted to to show up.  Six or seven people including myself - what a great time and introduction to Grip.  Maybe try something like this to start - you can't live all that much further out in the sticks than Jedd and I do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juha Harju said:

This is my 2 cents or how American people says it. :D

I have wide circle of friends including Finland's elite class pro powerlifters, strongmen and arm wrestlers. I practise with them and I organize grip sport contests, happenings etc in connection with powerlifting and strongmen competitions. By this I get all the time more and more visibility.  This way many truly strong person has meet 1st time grip sport and noticed that it isn't as easy sport as it looks for example Inch lift, coc#3 ccs, 2x20kg pinch plate lift etc. In every happening in audience are a few enthusiastic persons who wants to try species and some of them gets interested of grip sport and starts to train it. It´s very cool! 

What it has required of me that I have get grip sport popular in Finland and bring Finland´s grip sport and gripsters up to world?

1st I had to stand out and show who I am and what I can do.

It needed lot of different official certifications, intensive competing, to advice new competitors, tell and show about grip sport in different happenings. To organize Finnish Grip Championships and other contests at big stages like Nordic Fitness Expo, collect money prizes, sponsors, do co-operation with business men, other organizers, associations, well known athletes. Lot of work! At the same time from year to year prove my strength front of audience and at competitions. Also starting you tube channel and do grip feats thru it.

Publicity and popularity brings unfortunately also haters, stalkers, trolls and traitors same way as it has done for example to Joe, and to Jedd. It is very sad but forced to accept, nothing comes for free. 

Long-term hard work is the right way. Today I don´t need to prove anything to anyone anymore. Now I can focus fully teaching grip strength and powerlifting to growing number of people who are interested more and more of strength. 

-Juha

Lol it probably does help if you hold contests as a multi champion beast. People are more inclined to listen and try new things if you've done them and have been very successful, like you, and Jedd.  Especially if you want a national presence. Very well said Juha lots to consider. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, climber511 said:

The first Gripmas Carol was really a "get together" and not a true contest but everyone brought whatever they had.  I had almost no equipment for grip.  We did some grippers - a few block weights - plate inches - one hand lift - kegs - stones - V  Bar - you name it we tried it.  There were no Euro's yet - Doc brought a Blob - and it was a blast!!!  I put a post up on the GB and simply invited everyone and anyone that wanted to to show up.  Six or seven people including myself - what a great time and introduction to Grip.  Maybe try something like this to start - you can't live all that much further out in the sticks than Jedd and I do.

Probably don't live in the boonies. I'm 3 hours from Bob, James and Jason out of Charlotte. I'm in no hurry to promote a contest I have gleaned alot from just reading contest write ups and asking questions, plus I want to compete a little more.

I'm 4 hours or so East of Charlotte right on the coast. Just moved from CT so quite a bit to do before getting around to trying anything here. Virtually no equipment either.

Okay back to posting

First, I would appreciate it if people stop attacking Mikael or anybody else. We in grip sports are brother here. Need to advice each other and be the back supporter of each other not the opposite.

Second, last year I have been dedicated to the grip sports exposure. But since 2008 I have sat with many Chinese manufacturers and businessmen to show them the grip sports and what it can do and how the businesses be good. Of course Chinese people are friendly and family oriented too. The word will spread fast. Every exhibition, every show, every office, every factory I visit I always reopen the grip case after doing my business. Of course made some grip implements for myself and to sell in our region. Not many got sold at the time. And is moving slowly. Very slowly. Every year they added one grip thing. Anyways till last year I also did the same. This year has been entirely different.

I was in China recently and saw almost every manufacturer and showrooms are selling grip items! Everything from heavy duty grippers, Fat Bars, Thick bars, Inch like bells, Adjustable grippers, Pinch implements, Fat gripz like implements and so on. This was perfect thing to witness. People are ordering them and they are selling to all around the world/

Then I saw the boom which is bad also. They also sell many fake names; like CoC grippers and looks like it but not so good quality of course. RB grippers and adjustable, David Horne grip toyz and grippers, Iron Mind Axle and so on. 

This is both good and bad. The exposure was HUGE. but other original business are loosing of course because hey they are buying the same thing from China and cheaper too with the same name and looks expect for their weird packaging and lower quality. Heck they even use there original pictures which was funny too. I told few that I know why the copy they said hey you pushed us and is good so we are using same. Many others I don't even know who they are. So it is expanding. Heck even in FIBO (our German friends know this) I saw few grip implements with some sellers whom I used to deal with and talk with them about grip in the past.

Third, Juha and few others knows my lifestyle. I am very busy that I barely get time. Hope that to change. but anyway there are big plans for the grip sports. Big prizes (forget the cups and normals grippers, I am talking about huge cash prizes). Big promotions. Better implements, In a very famous place with big names invited too. Standardization of events. Maybe annually too! Maybe some governmental support also. This WILL happen God willing. and single-handedly too. But needs time.

I wish everyone's support each other whether he is an elite or not. New or old. We are all in the same boat. Patience is the key and growth will happen.

• Like 4