Progressive Resistance Gripper Holds

Arthur Antonopoulos

Just thought I'd post an idea I've been toying with for a while and see what feedback I get. I'm going to start a new approach with my gripper training and I'm wondering if anyone has tried this before and what the results were.

It is almost like progressive resistance training and I think it will help me at least to concretely measure my results. I have found it hard to measure my progress as I can't accurately tell how much closer I'm getting to the close. For me personally in the gripper department I'm trying to close the #3. I closed the #1 straight out of the pack and the #2 second workout with it. The #3 is within an inch now an I'm going to start to focus more intently on this goal.

What I am going to start doing is at the end of the week after my deadlift workout is do closes with the #3 with a block in between the handles, basically a sweephold. I am going to start with a 1 1/4" inch block with a 1kg weight and do a close for 15 seconds. Every week, once I hit 15 seconds with the block I intend to shave about 1/8" or a 1/4" off the width narrowing the block. Every time I hit 15 seconds I will basically repeat the process until I'm left doing strapholds.

I also will be performing #2 strapholds at the beginning of the week after my squat workout with the same principle, 15 seconds with a certain weight then increase it by 0.5kg. Mid week I will perform closes with the grippers warming up to a max attempt with the #3.

Has anyone tried a similar method with any success? I thought of using a plate loaded gripper which would allow me to accurately measure my progress but felt there is nothing to duplicate the feel of the gripper as the gripper itself.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Arthur

I think it would also be good to do forced closes with the 3. utherwise you will be progressivly training the sweep but not working the close with the 3.More strength in the close is what you need most now...am I wrong?