2007 December - A Gripmas Carol - Odin

odin

I'm going to post some of my impressions of the competitors (especially for you fellows that have never gone to a contest) in no particular order, as this was my first athletic competition of any kind, except for slow-pitch softball and bowling, both over 20 years ago. I apologize in advance if I mix anyone or anything up.

Thanks for all the kind comments; I'm too humbled and overwhelmed with gratitude to reply right now, but I appreciate them all and Maricel is thrilled with the attention here and on Scott Styles' blog as she had no idea that 3x10 is a pretty big deal if you are a woman and weigh less than 80 lbs.

Jedd Johnson: Jedd took me under his wing from the moment I arrived; he was like a caring big brother despite his professional wrestler size. He apparently sensed that I was nervous and feeling way out of my element and did all he could to make me feel comfortable. I talked to him more on Friday night than Saturday (feel bad about that, it wasn't intentional), wish I could have spent a lot more time talking with him because I felt like he was on the same wavelength as me in some respect, can't quite put a finger on what that is, but felt a nice brotherhood feeling nonetheless. He is amazingly focused in competition and brutally, ridiculously strong.

Eric Milfield:

Warm, humble guy and I regret not spending more time with him, felt like we'd get along very well. No one will ever overlook him again, he made an amazing showing, especially with the 2HP, well over BW I believe.

David Thornton: Made everything look sooooo smooth and easy. Does he lack the muscles that show strain? He certainly doesn't lack any others. Very soft spoken, unassuming, modest, liked him immediately.

Brad Ardrey: New to grip? Are you kidding me? He was amazing to watch in the medley, so athletic and very fast for any size man. His axle will jump up quite a bit I'm sure.

Scott Styles: I wouldn't have even tried bending if he wouldn't have helped me use his IM pads and coach me a bit. He is obviously a very bright and analytical guy with deeply held beliefs. He reminds me of a sociologist or anthropologist doing a participant observation because he appears to be so deep in thought and very observant. He'll keep improving over the years I'm sure.

Stuart Rosendaul: We were pretty close in our finish, let him use the old 100 lb.plates without complaint despite my hammertone allergy, because his hand was all torn up. He was a fierce competitor with a lot of inner strength that was obvious in the plate hold.

Josh Dale: Didn't get to talk to him much, but it's just unbelievable to watch him set up for the axle; his whole upper body flares like the hood of a cobra about to strike as he appears to be tightening his core, traps, etc.before he pulls. It is absolutely astonishing, visually stunning and one of my more vivid memories of the event. He looks much bigger with his hoodie off than on, which must be due to his muscularity.I'd love him to coach me on grippers, DL or diet, his nutrition expertise obviously isn't hurting him.

Chris Rice: My wife is bugging me to make and keep my body in as good of condition as his is (gee thanks Chris). He bears a striking resemblance to Slim Farman and is very cool and poised under pressure. Didn't talk to him much, he was (understandably) too busy running a splendidly organized, well thought-out contest (If I was the paranoid type, I'd think he planned his medley specifically to get my weak spots, I didn't get any of the narrow pinch or (brutal) wrist stuff, did most of the "hard" classic wide-pinch/thick DB stuff, embarrassed to miss the 50 lb. Blob, wanted it up). Will try to meet up with him on a separate grip-together or around the time of the Arnold.

Theresa Rice was wonderful to us, made great food and made us feel right at home, my wife wants us to visit again due more to her kindness than watching sweaty guys grip in a garage I believe. Allowed me to hide behind her apron (just kidding Chris) until the contest was about to start as I was feeling way out of my league and overwhelmed by the big crowd of people I'd never met in the garage.

John Eaton: I don't believe all the jokes about him following Homer Simpson's training protocol; his hands are heavily calloused. Seriously, I think he's a bit like me in that he would benefit from overall body training, which I haven't done regularly either. His wrists' size and strength make me feel very, very weak and pathetically skinny. If I could just develop 2/3 of whatever you call that/those dimension(s) of wrist strength he has that I don't, I might be dangerous. I think so highly of John Eaton that I'm going to start a new thread about him in the near future, so for now I'll just say that he is very enthusiastic and a great guy, my wife really liked him as well. I could spend hours just talking to him and trying different feats.

Sean Dockery: it was great to meet the Blob juggler and it was a lot of fun talking to him. He should hold an event of his own as he obviously knows how to judge a competition. I hope to compete with him one day and wish him a speedy return to form.

Didn't get to talk to Zach or Dean Coulter much, but both me and my wife were very moved by the father/son combo competing together, you were both real warriors and I hope you compete together again. Zach is obviously obsessed and did great on the grippers, mashing a few #3 level grippers in chokers. I wish I could have stayed and tried to break his BFDB and LFBD off the ground. Dean, I think you probably felt a bit like I did at first, nervous and awed about the other competitors.

Scott George: Scott was competing despite a very limiting finger injury. He has a certain coolness and confidence in competition that reminds me of an assassin or John Wayne. It was fun to talk to him about grip and life experiences while he rode in his truck. He is very devoted to his family and seems to know what he wants and how to get it. He was a big help to me in learning about the events when I visited him a few months ago and he is extremely patient.

Anson Castelvecchi: Anson and I seemed to get along well and both have a health-related background. We are both open-minded and seemed to connect well for a first meeting. He is very intense and focused during competition. I will try to meet with him soon, because I think his particular areas of expertise in grip, overall body training, and nutrition might help me move to another level in competition if he has any time to do that.

If any of the local (NC) guys with good tools want to help me with sizing up a good location and setting up the power rack I picked up last week, my lack of overall body training will change (hint, hint-I'll pay you and/or barter grip tools, I'm mechanically challenged and tool-phobic :blush ).

Edited by odin