2005 December - Powerlifting Meet - Rick Walker

Rick Walker

Well, I am home and in some serious pain! :erm

Warming up, I felt awesome. Last weight in warm up was 585, other lifters just shook their heads at the speed. It felt weightless.

Out to the platform with 615 (highest opener of the meet by 60 pounds) and destroyed it. Lifters and spectators were coming over to me slapping me on the back and shakin my hand.

Time for the ADAU American Record. It was 630, I called for 640. Went out in a rage and didnt set up right. Left arm was slightly bent at the start of the pull and I felt something let go in my forearm as the weight reached my knees. Dropped it and my arm went limp.

Went back to my seat unable to pronate or supinate, tried to make a bicep-no go. Called Amy over and she went to work with the Jack's Blue Heat and I sent Derek over to the table to call for 640 again. I wanted that damn record! Amy worked on my arm while Derek pulled down on it as it felt like it was hyper extended. I went back to the warm up room and hit some singles with 315-agony. Tried switching hand placement so my left was pronated and my right was supinated. No difference. Well...time to shut the f*ck up and get it done. Losers cry, winners lift.

Before I went to the bar my mom told me that my Gramps was out there with me (he passed away 5 years ago). She said he loved to watch me lift and talked about me all the time.

640 back on the bar. Closest lifter to me was a 220 who pulled a nice 600 but failed at 615. Last lifter to go, and the crowd, though small, was on their feet.

I focused on the bar. Talked to it as it was being loaded and cleaned. I took a hit of ammonia, and as the crowd grew loader, I approached the bar with 1 thing in mind: GET THAT AMERICAN RECORD OR TEAR YOUR ARM OFF. What's it gonna be??

The nose tork smacked my face and I tore after the platform. I stepped on the platform and set my feet. I Looked up to the sky and raised my hands and pointed. Not to God, but to my Grandpa. I told him, "This one's for you!" I grabbed the bar and all I could hear was Amy yelling, "Set up!" I made sure my set-up was perfect and then it was go time.

It rocketed to my knees like lightening. Then is slowed to a crawl as I fought with all my might. I just kept thinking "American Record, American Record, American Record!" I could hear the crowd screaming, but it was muffled. I just kept pulling.

And I stood erect with it. DOWN! came the signal and I set it down. 3 white lights!!!!!!!!! New ADAU American Record and #1 242 deadlifter (weighed in at 236). Again my arm went limp and was hurting beyond belief. I walked over to the wall with holding it against me, unable to make a fist. Amy came over and hugged and kissed me, as did my Mom. My mom said, "Granpa was there!"

Wound up with #1 242 lifter and best deadlifter of the meet award. Pee'd in a cup and left.

Now at home, my arm is hurting beyond beleif (though the beer is helping!) Terrible pain to pronate and supinate, and to make a biceps. Feels like it is forearm related-not biceps. Swollen up pretty good and I am icing it.

I was pretty pissed because 640 was a joke. It flew up fast and the only thing that stopped me was the God awful pain in my arm. I had 670+ in me today. I was the fastest deadlifter there.

Just another day at the office. Onward to 700!!

-Rick :rock