2005 June - AOBS Reunion Dinner - Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

It was my first AOBS. I grew up with my older brother talking to me a lot about the Iron Game, the York gang, bodybuilding, etc. He had no outlet to share it with, so I was the lucky recipient. So Artie's words just prior to the standing ovation that Bob Hoffman received seemed deep, moving, and poetic to me. Especially when you consider that Bob Hoffman died in 1985. I guess they must have been moving to others as well, or else the place would not have exploded with a standing ovation.

So seeing people like Tommy Kono having breakfast Friday morning at a table next to me, I was tempted, but did not, come over sputtering to shake his hand. What was I going to say, "I used to idolize you when I was a kid, but now I am a one dimensional grip guy?"

After the dinner, I realized that everyone there, including us one dimensional grip guys, are part of the same strength family, just like all athletes from all sports play for the same high school. If I go next year, in the same circumstances, I would approach him.

I went with my 23-year-old son, and I honestly have to say, that it was the best time that we have ever had together since he turned around, hmmm, 16. It may have been the best time that we ever had together in our lives. Hearing him talk to friends on the phone about it was very cool. Hearing him say things like, "and all of these guys ARE DRUG FREE", indicating to me that most young people believe that the only way to get strong is by using drugs. The weekend may have lasting effects on him. He wants to get his computer up and running, and he wants to work out with weights. Until now, he has worked as a mechanic and done a little bending(a pretty damn good bender when you consider how little he has worked it, can 90 degree a Grade 5). We went to New York all day Friday and briefly Sunday. It was my first trip to New York in my life, his second.

What was so unusual for me was for the two of us to meet a person or experience something together and to enjoy it together, to have the same level of fun, interest, or excitement. As a parent, that is not something that you often get. Very very cool.

So, who do I have to thank for this wonderful experience? Well, I am going to write a hand written thank you note to Artie, and then there are you guys...

Big, big, big thanks to Dan Cenidoza. Thanks for the hospitality(even though it was our hotel floor you were sleeping on), introducing us to your friends, taking Andy to the mall, and getting us a seat at, in my son's words, "the cool table". Dan is a great guy who should do well in life. His write up was great, very professional.

Thanks Dan.

Nice to meet Sean and Nick. I am impressed that you guys know history like you do, and actually care about it. I will go back and watch you on the GGC videos. I only watched them one time, now I can go back and check you out doing your thing.

Pat, I was bummed that you were not going to be performing, but then we got lucky! I had no idea you were a mild mannered nice guy, as the only photos I had ever seen of you were when you were in your performing zone. Great to meet you and you are a gentleman.

Steve, nice to meet you, and it's a good thing I didn't divide up your pasta, as I almost took a chunk out and passed it down. I think I have 10 years on you and I am still getting stronger, so you shouldn't be talking on the board about "the young guys", you ARE young!

Flo, nice to meet you. I look at your stay in the US sorta like a Rotary International Youth Exchange Program. No better way to build world peace and understanding than sharing a common passion together.

Titan, boy you are drinking the "Grip Cocktail" at an alarming rate! Don't overdue it, you might get too much too soon of a good thing! Anyone that can talk to my son until 3 in the morning has way more enthusiam than me, as I turned in 90 minutes before you.

Jon, I didn't know you were "Pexter", or that your wife was the bending Mrs. Pexter. I think my son talked about you practically more than anyone. He loved your gadgets and your sense of humor. I want one of your steel rolling thunder-like devices.

Bud and Slim, you are not reading this, but your performances were from a different planet.

Jedd, you are the most honest man I ever met about giving their height. You are the tallest 6 feet 2 1/2 inches in America.

And then there are the Woods. Miss Wood is a sweetie, wired happy, bright, upbeat, and the apple of her father's eye. John Wood has so much insight and knowledge for a fellow so young it is amazing. Pa Wood, one of a kind, no doubt one of the most interesting people I have ever met. Certainly the most interesting person I have ever met that is engaged in legal activiites. Dan, if you hadn't slept on our floor, I would not have had the opportunity to listen to Kim's discussions of things I heard about 30, 40 years ago. A unique entertaining exchange it was. Great people.

And I even managed to be an errand boy for Dale Harder on Dyno readings, so I introduced myself to Burt and Richard Sorin. At AOBS in 2002(the Mark Henry Inch year), Richard attended and was in New Jersey, but I watched Burt throw the Hammer at the US Nationals in Palo Alto. I remember mentioning that to my wife while he was tossing it. She groused at the time that if it were her kid, she would have been watching him in Palo Alto. After seeing how close the two of them are, I don't think Richard needs any parenting advice from anyone. We should all be so lucky, they are a great team.

For me, on a scale of 1 to 10, it was a 10. Thank you everybody for contributing to it. I could not have dreamed of having a better time.

Hubgeezer