one arm pull-ups

Evan Raftopoulos

something I've been working on the past couple of months, one arm pullups/chinups on regular bar and combined with grip stuff :) (regular fatgripz, 3"t grips, slippery gumball, 1.25" vertical pipe, 3.5" atomik pipe) Thickbar is going reallly well from the OACs on rolling thunder that I've been doing weekly, pinch is going well too. Still training crush and hoping to get to the level that I can cert mm1 this year. 

• Like 6

I've been following all this on Instagram and each time you post something it's like the new craziest thing I've ever seen.  Looking fit and strong! 

• Like 2

That's just nuts.

You belong in those abandoned Russian playgrounds with the other insanely fit, slightly demented guys. ;)

• Like 1

thanks guys,  I want to be able to do 10 or more one arm pullups with good form (full elbow extension to chin above bar) but what I even enjoy more is one arm pullups/chinups on challanging grip stuff. Currently training to do OAC on the cowbell by threeballclimbing, the most challenging open hand-vertical grip thing out there from what I've seen. 

the OAC on the 2.5"crusher is another goal. I was thinking to send it to a pro climber in europe to try it but I'm too attached to it :) Most people have easy access to a rolling thunder I think. My friend Josh that did 2 oac reps on RT told me that some other pro climbers should be able to do more. I have to see it to believe it though!

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but I don't visit so often. Absolutely amazing feats! You should try one on an anvil horn next. :)

I have the OAC up there as one of my short term goals. I can do archer pullups assisted with one finger, and my 1rm pullup is +35 kg (BW 80, total 115). What do I do from here to reach your level of insanity? :D

• Like 1

@Evan Raftopoulos you inspired me to work toward a OAC and I've got a few weeks in now.  Today I was able to get strong singles using a band assist but with my hand on the band down by my waist. Somehow I still feel like I'm miles away, but I can tell I'm making progress. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2016 at 11:39 AM, h3X said:

Sorry to revive an old thread but I don't visit so often. Absolutely amazing feats! You should try one on an anvil horn next. :)

I have the OAC up there as one of my short term goals. I can do archer pullups assisted with one finger, and my 1rm pullup is +35 kg (BW 80, total 115). What do I do from here to reach your level of insanity? :D

thanks man, to get better/stronger at pullups the best advice I have is do more! :P you can experiment with increasing volume/frequency but stay safe. for the oap/oac you can also use assistance band, one arm pulldown if you go to the gym, and any one arm work on the pullup bar should help. A lot of people have asked me how to achieve the oap/oac and honestly I can tell you exactly what I did to get stronger this past year but it's hard to know exactly what helped me the most. I might make a vid to refer people there, at this point my friend Ryan has the best one I've seen so far 

• Like 2

On 5/31/2016 at 7:56 PM, Cannon said:

@Evan Raftopoulos you inspired me to work toward a OAC and I've got a few weeks in now.  Today I was able to get strong singles using a band assist but with my hand on the band down by my waist. Somehow I still feel like I'm miles away, but I can tell I'm making progress. 

yes!!! glad to hear that Matt! You can totally get there with some training! Just stay with it! post some vids on IG, I'll be following your progress brother!

7 hours ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

yes!!! glad to hear that Matt! You can totally get there with some training! Just stay with it! post some vids on IG, I'll be following your progress brother!

I have wanted to post vids but I work out at the gym at work and feel weird about taking videos there. 😳

10 hours ago, Cannon said:

I have wanted to post vids but I work out at the gym at work and feel weird about taking videos there. 😳

haha, yea I always feel weird taking vids at the gym :unsure but I do it anyways.  :turn I think if it's something cool like trying one arm pullup or something grip related or heavy powerlifting it's more acceptable :D. (or a selfie for #forearmfriday:tongue

• Like 1

On June 3, 2016 at 4:21 AM, Cannon said:

It doesn't get more weird than this

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

these videos are sick. The OAC is officially back on my list. I think its going to need to be a long time thing instead of going crazy to try to get as when I do this one of my shoulders usually gives up and I'm back to square one for a few weeks.

Love the inspiration.

Gary

Old thread but was hoping to see guys doing this. I could do 1 on right arm but only a negative hold on the left in 1997 when I cut to 211lbs. Last time I ever made that weight or a one armed pullup.