Under the Radar - Grip Profile - Jason Otto

anwnate

Today's profile features Jason Otto.

"My father is no different than any other powerful man…any man who's responsible for other people, like a senator or president."

"You know how naïve you sound…senators and presidents don't have men killed."

"Oh, who's being naïve, Kay?"

It would be pure travesty to start this profile with anything other than a quote. 

This is the third Pick-Up-Artist to be profiled and for good reason.  Seldom do a group of guys get together on a regular basis to train grip.  Something about that camaraderie pushes each gripster to greater and greater heights.

I can NOT stress this enough.  If you ever travel anywhere near North Carolina on a Saturday…make it a priority to drop by Charlotte and train with these guys.  Not only are they a lot of fun, but something about that backyard (rain or shine) and atmosphere causes great things to happen.  When I went down to North Carolina, I leapt at the chance to train with these guys.  But when I pulled up to Bob's…it was raining steady and I thought that our session would be delayed or cancelled.  Oh, silly fragile Nate…these boys are actually men…and real men train in all types of weather.  It was time for me to grow a set…er I mean grow up.

With Bob's Pinch and James's wrist strength…I thought maybe my gripper prowess would stand out.  However...Jason Otto was there to obliterate my plans.  Once again, I was guilty of underestimating a gripster.  Jason has an impressive crush…and proved it by closing a mutant #3 they had in a tool box.  Over and over, I attempted and failed…only to watch Jason close that extraterrestrial…thing. 

Later that (extremely wet) day, Jason grabbed a pair (tough) scale weights like they were toys.  Seeing this…I went after the feat and to my chagrin…failed…and failed miserably.  As it turns out, his V-bar, thickbar, sledgehammer and several other events I'm not willing to own up to…leave me behind also. 

Not for the first time I was like…"What the hell is going on down here in Charlotte?"  In my head, I decided to have a Tallness contest, so I could remember what it was like to stand out.  However, the sheer fun of the day, assuaged my injured pride.  It's really nearly impossible to get a "movie quote" past these guys.

Jason doesn't compete super often and rarely shares his feats with the world.  You can actually find more video of Jason on other people's Youtube channels than his own.  Since he didn't mention anything in his profile, I feel it necessary to point out that he is a Blob-pincher, has cleaned and pressed a 73lb tractor weight from the bottom, pinched 5x10's, 20mm block contest closed a 160RGC gripper(tied for 1st at the Southern Squeeze), contest pulled a 242lb 2" V-bar, Hula'd a pair of 35's, 2 finger lifted SID, closed an IronMind #3.5 and has STRICT levered a 20lb sledgehammer.

After I came home from that trip, Jason and I made a "race to the MM5" bet.  Seeing as I was a MM2 to his MM1…I only thought it was fair to let him catch up before working grippers again (Cough cough bullshit cough).  As it stands…I no longer think I have any advantage on this bet.  What was the bet for?  I don't remember exactly.  It might have been a rated gripper…but in reality, it's that friendly competition and bragging rights.  I'll really enjoy lording my victory over Jason. ;)

Jason profile pic.jpg

7 questions to get to know Jason.

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (in/cm), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Children?, Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable)

Grip Board name: "jasonotto"

Height: 5'11” (180cm)

Weight: 255 lbs (115.6 kg)

Dominant Hand Size: Right 7.25 in (18.4 cm)

Country/City:  USA/NC, Charlotte

Relationship Status:  Married

Children:  One daughter

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

I was a die hard thrower for years.  I threw shot put, discus, hammer and weight at the University at Buffalo (Go Bulls).  Unfortunately, in late fall of my freshman year I tore my ACL (throwing the 35 lb weight), which ended my collegiate track career.  Although I had surgery, my knee was never the same again.  That being said, I still had the motivation to compete and get stronger. 

Researching different workout programs, I stumbled across Armwrestling in 2001 (I actually never knew it existed).  I started attending Armwrestling tournaments and soon realized my hand was a weakness.  I could not stand the fact that everyone else’s hands seemed huge and strong…much bigger and stronger than my own.  This became my motivation and thus began my journey through grippers. 

Living only about 40 minutes away, I soon came across James Retarides.  I met him and the rest of the area pullers (we both realized we first met back in Staten Island in 2001!).   Anyhoo, I started pulling with James and the Charlotte area guys.  I grew quite a love for Armwrestling, Grip and all things strength related.  It wasn’t long until we met Bob Sundin…who would soon introduce us to the world of grip and insane world class feats that would follow!  I have been training grip seriously now for a little over three years.

So truthfully, I got into grip related strength because of a knee injury, and I stayed with it because of the great friendships I have made along the way.  Plus, crushing grippers and picking up heavy stuff is way cool.

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals?

First and foremost, I need to get my Captains of Crush cert.  This has haunted me for years, and I think it is mostly a mind game that needs to be squashed.  It WILL happen…hopefully this year.  Other than that, I would like to continue to climb the Mash Monster ladder and continue Certing on GHP grippers.  Next up is block setting the GHP 7 for reps!  I also want to manage a double blob lift (getting close).  Like many people, the INCH is on also my list, but it's on the back burner at the moment.  I recently purchased and have been working on "The Irongrip Monster" lift.  That thing is a beast…but I WILL lift it. 

4.  How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training? 

I train grip twice a week.  Wednesdays I train in my garage and mix up the different grip exercises (except grippers, those get smashed every training session!).  And of course Saturdays I train with the other Pick Up Artists over at Bob’s. 

That is the highlight of my week.  We always talk about all the laughs we have, but truthfully there are some amazing things that happen in that YARD on a weekly basis.  Bob Sundin, James Retarides, Scott Johnson, Gary Stuart, and Robert Miller inspire me to no end.  Nate Brous has been an inspiration as well in his bending and crushing, not to mention the fact that he has sold me about half of the grip toys I have in my garage! 

In addition to lifting, I have also started running over the past few months in preparation for a Spartan race (I just ran it).  My cardio stunk and my legs were tired, but I DESTROYED all the strength events (largely due to my improved grip).

5.  What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

I have been an avid trout fly fisherman for over 20 years, but over the last three years I have been float tube fly fishing for bass and I have not looked back.  If you don’t know what it is, look it up!  I am also a certified KCBS barbecue judge (I love to eat, guess that's another hobby).

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

As in Armwrestling, I simply love the camaraderie that comes along with these great strength sports.  We have such an interesting group of guys here in Charlotte that make for so many great stories and memories.  There is no way I could pick one. 

One thing I will say though, the road trips have given me some of the best memories.  I know I have said it before, but we could easily go ten hours without even thinking of turning on the radio.  Hell, James, Robert and I have quoted entire movies from beginning to end.  It's is pretty typical for me to wake up the next morning with pain in my cheeks from laughing so damn hard at nonsense that we spewed throughout the night time drive.  Bob and I have even laughed are faces off (just the two of us) on the way back from Ohio. 

The Pick Up Artists here in Charlotte is an amazing group of guys, and I could not ask for a better team to train with each week and travel with throughout the year.

Favorite Non-Movie Quote:  Just Pick it Up! –Jason Otto

Favorite Movie Quote:  Give me the movie and I will give you the quote…

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

Delmar Carter (This dude has been putting up a string of crazy feats lately, gotta learn more about him!)

Thanks Jason.  Delmar will be profiled in two weeks.  This series will return next Wednesday with Richard Sorin.

• Like 12

Was excited to read this one! Jason you definitely should get your COC cert. You will kill it! Good Luck and hope we get to see you again soon!:rock

• Like 1

Go get that cert man, cool to train together that way.

Awesome write up, I am having trouble falling asleep on Tuesdaynight because the next day is now....profileday! lol 

• Like 1

Another awesome write up Nate! There definitely is something in the air or water in NC because the whole mess of those guys are beasts! I'll do my best on the Profile Jason ;) 

• Like 1