Under the Radar - Grip Profile - Seung-Min Bae

anwnate

Today's profile features Seung-Min Bae.  Although some of you know Seung-Min as a GripBoard Sponsor and the owner of Silvis…almost no one here (The GripBoard) knows his story.  Because of this, I thought it would best if I asked someone (who does know his story) to guest-write the intro.  James Retarides was kind enough to do so today.  In a nice little twist of fate…neither James or Seung-Min has read the "other" part of this profile.  Let's hear what J.R. had to say.

"I was sitting in a lobby outside of a bustling arena, listening to a familiar chatter.  It was born from the nervous energy of the competitors hanging around during the weigh-in at an Armwrestling event.  I was approached for an interview by a young UNC student holding a small camera. “You are James Retarides,” he asked. “Still?” I asked in return, and saw my sarcasm was lost in translation.  Then I just quipped: “Yes, unfortunately,” in my self-deprecating way.  The young man seemed to know a good deal about me and exuded an infectious energy and enthusiasm for the sport of Armwrestling.  He introduced himself as Seung-Min Bae.  That was 2008,in Greenville, NC.  He left quite an impression upon me, but I thought I had seen it before.

A young, college-aged newcomer, developing strength, catches the bug to be an armwrestler but stops when they realize there isn’t anything really glamorous about it.  It takes a level of stubbornness and masochism to continue.  I certainly had no idea how devoted he was.  I invited Seung-Min down to my practices.  When he had the time free, he would make the nearly three-hour-drive down to Charlotte. He demonstrated an irrefutable passion for the sport, always showing effort and always wanting to attend and compete in huge events.  From his apartment in Chapel Hill, he started to develop a culture for strength-sports enthusiasts in his native home of South Korea. He had created an online presence.

Eventually he arranged for Korean champions (such as the friendly but powerful) Seongyeol Baek and Sang-Pyo Lee, to come to the US to compete against American competition.  It was a sad day for me when Seung-Min left for home but he actually raised the money for me to travel to South Korea in September of 2012.  We spent weeks together in his native Seoul.  It was like a favor I could never repay.  While I had already left the sport of Armwrestling at that point (as a competitor), it brought me a great sense of joy to see how Seung-Min was the catalyst that brought together many Korean strongmen who were succeeding as steel-benders, grip athletes, power-lifters and of course, armwrestlers. Perhaps distinctly Korean...was the respect for one another that emanated from these athletes.  It was humbling.

I caught a glimpse of what Seung-Min had to juggle in order to orchestrate such professional events with media coverage without many resources.  I also (unfortunately), saw more entrenched promoters attempt to thwart Seung-Min’s progress.  Although it bothered him, he always responded with grace.  I saw how many responsibilities he had (on top of his business) to make a life and a future in Seoul while never leaving the sports of Grip or Armwrestling on the back-burner.  Those sacrifices led him to develop Silvis after departing from Manus.  This was probably a difficult decision to make, even for a guy who habitually puts the betterment of others before himself.  He couldn’t leave Grip and Armwrestling behind just to get himself ahead.

While I was in Korea, I asked a few of the pullers what event they would like to compete at.  Almost universally…the answer was the Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic.  The one problem was that there were no Arnold qualifiers in Asia.  Seung-Min and I were given the go-ahead by Leonard Harkless and Denise Wattles (1. President/founder and 2. Executive Director of the USWA/USAA ) to sanction an Arnold qualifier, the first of its type, in South Korea.  As a result, Seung-Min was able to put together a team of Korean armwrestlers who would compete at the Arnold Classic in 2013.

In order to fund their travel, we developed the Allies in Arms program and managed to raise thousands of dollars through tournament entries and merchandise sales. The program was a success and as a result, every year a team of Korean armwrestlers competes at the Arnold.  Some of them have even made it to the podium.  Now, the sports of Grip and Armwrestling are getting more television time than ever in Korea.  The events are getting larger and they are better attended.  The talent and level of competition is growing. It is mostly thanks to the young, long-haired, reedy student that has grown into the godfather of Korean strength sports."

seungminbae pic.jpg

7 questions to get to know Seung-Min.

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Kids?, Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable)

Name: Seung-Min Bae

Gripboard Name: "SILVIS"

Height: 5'9" (174cm)

Weight: 154lbs (70kg)

Hand: Left hand dominant 7.4" (18.8cm) / 7.28" (18.5cm) Right

Relationship Status: Single

Kids: None

Occupation: CEO of SILVIS (manufacturing grip & armwrestling training tools, hosting grip & armwrestling events including Korean Armwrestling Championships)

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

I started training Grip in order to become a better armwrestler.  When I first got into Professional Armwrestling (where strict rules and regulations are applied), I immediately realized that my hands were so weak that I was not able to control the opponent's hand (and my hand, too).  More specifically, my fingers could not hold my opponent's back pressure.  So…I started looking for information in terms of hand strength, finger exercises, grip training tools, etc.  I became more and more fascinated by "Grip Sport" itself.  If I remember right, my first-and-serious grip focused training was back in 2006…so it has been 10 years now.

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals?

My ultimate grip goal is...to lift the famous inch dumbbell before I turn 40.

If my goal is not limited to a grip strength achievement, my real goal would be to host a grip event with the biggest prize money in the history of Grip Sport.

4.  How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training? 

For the last 3-4 years, I haven't had much time to train any parts of my body.  I am now more of a promoter than a gripster/armwrestler.

Anyway, when I was fully focused on training in old days, I trained 2-3 times a week.  All routines were designed to enhance my hand, wrist, and arm strength.  I did squats, too, in order to increase my testosterone level needed for high intensity grip and arm training.  Whether it is a myth or not, it worked for me.

When training, I listen to my body, rather than specifying reps x sets in order to avoid injuries and over-training.  I believed and still believe that "less is better than more"…especially if one would like to enjoy a sport(s) for a long time…and even more so if one doesn't make a living at it.

5.  What hobbies (other than Grip/Bending/Lifting) do you enjoy?

Making coffee.  My mom runs a local coffee shop and my morning always starts with grinding coffee beans and making my own espresso.

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

I am very grateful and humbled to be part of this interview series and would like to thank James Retarides for recommending me.  He is not only my friend but also a mentor in life, and I can't imagine myself  today had I not meet him back in 2008.

As an Armwrestling and Grip Sport promoter in Korea, I would like to be a bridge between Korea and other countries.  So, if anyone reading this interview is interested in Grip and Armwrestling culture in Korea or plans on visiting Seoul, please feel free to contact me at silvisceo@gmail.com

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

Jason Otto

Thanks Seung-Min (and James).  Jason will be profiled in two weeks.  This series will return next Wednesday with Steve Weiner.

• Like 17

Great profile and great intro. It warms my heart to see the bridges that strength sport can build. I am glad we have folks internationally like Seung-Min Bae with so much passion for grip.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Squeezus said:

Great profile and great intro. It warms my heart to see the bridges that strength sport can build. I am glad we have folks internationally like Seung-Min Bae with so much passion for grip.

Agreed!!!

• Like 2

Nice read! Shame we couldn't meet in Seoul. Hopefully next time we can meet.

• Like 1

Great write-up!  Seung-Min Bae has been super pleasant and the Silvis line of grip implements is superb. 

• Like 1