4th Annual International King Kong Grip Challenge - October 29th, 2016

Eric Roussin

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Not that we have yet but I'm more than happy to work with someone to get one together. 

That's a great help Andrew ... be good to know if anyone in the UK has the FBBC implements? If not then the shipping for the v-bar and crusher would possibly cost more than the grip tools themselves? For the KK comp does an official FBBC v-bar have to be used?

Sam. Yes we would like you to use an official Vertical bar. I'll PM you

• Like 1

On 5/12/2016 at 1:45 PM, Andrew P said:

Not that we have yet but I'm more than happy to work with someone to get one together. 

David isn't going to be hosting a King Kong? After all its his implement being used.

Last I spoke with him that time of the year is a bad time for him. Now that being said I don't recall when that was. My sense of time is going down the drain. Maybe somethings changed.

Good afternoon gents! Thank you for having me within the group. I am pleased to announce that for any guys wanting to compete in this event, my facility THE COMMANDO TEMPLE in London will be hosting! Looking forward to it. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rob B said:

Good afternoon gents! Thank you for having me within the group. I am pleased to announce that for any guys wanting to compete in this event, my facility THE COMMANDO TEMPLE in London will be hosting! Looking forward to it. 

Hey Rob, that's great news. PM us your address/details of times etc...

• 3 weeks later...

i'm planning on hosting King Kong in the Bay Area, CA. So far from the Bay Area a few arm wrestlers told me they will come and some ninja warriors are interested. I just need to plan specifics before making this official. If anyone is planning on travelling here to compete let me know. So far two people have contacted me that are interested in doing that. Before making any plans though let me make sure that this can work out. I have all the implements, I just need to find some space because my place is too small and I also need to find more weights. I have all the implements. 

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 2

Great to hear there will be one in London!

• Like 1

I have a rules questions about the Euro 1HP.

The rules say nothing about leg bracing which is where you tilt and twist the implement and run the loading bar up the inside of your leg. Will this be allowed yes or no? It's not against the rules and David Horne has done it in the past in comps.

Here are a few examples

Edited by Jared Goguen
  • Like 2

We go with David Horne's rules for the 1 hand pinch and shallow hub. If he say's that's ok it's good by me. 

Good catch on that detail. 

Edited by Andrew P

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

We go with David Horne's rules for the 1 hand pinch and shallow hub. If he say's that's ok it's good by me. 

Good catch on that detail. 

Okay! I just wanted to be clear that I can now use my leg in this lift.

• Like 1

Not a training style I would recommend in 1HP for overall pinching power as it will reduce your abilities to 1HP plates (like two 45s). Raw pinching power without added pronation or supination will help you in medleys as they just about always include pinching plates of some sort. Having said that I can see how it would add to some people's 1HP max on the Euro but it does not work for me. I get very distracted if any part of the set up touches my legs on the way up.

David's style looks similar to that of Kody and probably works great for those with a 2HP much higher than their combined 1HP total (without letting the bar touching the legs in the 1HP). For the technically hopeless ones like myself (my combined 1HP total is typically slightly higher than my 2HP) its not going to work that great I think.

It does seem like a friction lift shouldn't be contacting your body.

In my limited test pulls last night i was able pull more and im sure if inwas able to dial it more it would go higher.

@jedd.diesel Do you have any thoughts on using you leg to brace pinch lifts like the 1hp euro?

Edited by Jared Goguen
  • Like 1

In one of David Horne's videos, he said something like, "Contact with the leg is inevitable, so it does not disqualify the lift."  Kody told us at Gripmas 2015 to try starting with the back end of the pipe in contact with your leg.  When we got back home and tried it, we saw instant increases.

I feel that the pipe should not be used as a leverage provider, myself.  If the unit rotates and hits your leg during the pull, that's one thing.  But starting off in that position in order to secure the device and get increases solely because of that, well that seems a little fishy to me.

However, if it's allowed within the rules, I don't plan on handicapping myself either.  Perhaps a clarification from @David Horne is in order, @Andrew P and @Eric Roussin.

• Like 3

Leg contact with the pipe is allowed within the rules, even from the starting position.

Evan,

I will go if you host in the Bay Area. 

Please let me know if it is a go.

Thanks!

Riccardo Magni 

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 1:17 AM, Jedd Johnson said:

In one of David Horne's videos, he said something like, "Contact with the leg is inevitable, so it does not disqualify the lift."  Kody told us at Gripmas 2015 to try starting with the back end of the pipe in contact with your leg.  When we got back home and tried it, we saw instant increases.

I feel that the pipe should not be used as a leverage provider, myself.  If the unit rotates and hits your leg during the pull, that's one thing.  But starting off in that position in order to secure the device and get increases solely because of that, well that seems a little fishy to me.

However, if it's allowed within the rules, I don't plan on handicapping myself either.  Perhaps a clarification from @David Horne is in order, @Andrew P and @Eric Roussin.

Just had a look at a bunch of recent grip competitions featuring the 1hp and most seem to be dragging it up along a leg. Did not realise how widespread this 'technique' is. If it was up to me (which it isn't) I would not allow it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Just had a look at a bunch of recent grip competitions featuring the 1hp and most seem to be dragging it up along a leg. Did not realise how widespread this 'technique' is. If it was up to me (which it isn't) I would not allow it.

I hear ya, my man.  Here's my thought, along those lines, and I hinted at it above.  I refuse to handicap myself in a contest.  I've watched too many people get points on me in a medley, for instance, by bracing plates against their wrist on a loadable thick dumbbell lift, or tilting monster bells in order to load them to platforms, when money was at stake.  Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's been my approach since 2012.  I don't like the pipe dragging either, but if I pick up the Euro and it hits me, I'm not gonna just drop it - I'm pulling that thing to legal height if I can.

Sure, I would certainly not accuse anyone of cheating if the rules allow for a certain technique to be deployed. David Horne knows I disagree with him on this and at the end of the day one cannot expect everyone to agree on everything. At least it is not an issue in the 2HP.

• Like 1

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Jedd Johnson said:

I hear ya, my man.  Here's my thought, along those lines, and I hinted at it above.  I refuse to handicap myself in a contest.  I've watched too many people get points on me in a medley, for instance, by bracing plates against their wrist on a loadable thick dumbbell lift, or tilting monster bells in order to load them to platforms, when money was at stake.  Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's been my approach since 2012.  I don't like the pipe dragging either, but if I pick up the Euro and it hits me, I'm not gonna just drop it - I'm pulling that thing to legal height if I can.

Whatever the rules... I'm coming for you Napalm.  Whatcha gonna do when Old Man Rindo calls down the Thunder on Jedd's mountain brotherrrrrrrr?!?!?!

:rock

• Like 6

Is there a California leg this year?

If there's any other legs that need to be added to the list on page 1, please let me know.

It is very likely that there will be a California location -- details are just being worked out.

Mindoro, Wisconsin and London, England locations are confirmed.

Thanks, Jedd.

Added!