Under the Spotlight - Grip Profile - Heath Sexton

anwnate

In Gripsport, every once in a while a "prodigy" appears and seems to make miraculous progress in a short amount of time.  As often as not, these prodigies are less than trustworthy…who, for one reason or another, chose this niche sport to seek attention.  However, in the case of Heath Sexton, he turned out to be completely legitimate.

In a matter of weeks, he was closing grippers that take some people YEARS of training to close.

He certed the Ironmind #3 Gripper in 2001 (an incredible Cert year with names like Horne, Gillingham, Piche, Heslep and Povilaitis).  When Bill (Wannagrip) started the Mash Monster ladder, he reached the very top of it (at the time), the MM6(estimated RGC of 198), and just missed the MM7. 

Heath has lifted a blob with 10lbs taped to the bottom and managed Ron Mazza's INCH DB at Bob Bollenbach's gym (while training with Pat, Steve and Ron).  He was one of the first people to pinch 6-10's (right AND left hand).   3-25's, 2-45's, 100lb anvils also fell to his will.  He's done a strict lever with a 16lbs sledge and was very close doing a 20 (strict).

As impressive as all of this is, Heath's true passion has been developing the Oneida Middle School Football program where he has been Head Coach since 2002.  Since he assumed leadership, the team has gone an astounding 113 and 18.  They have reached the ETMSAA Championship TEN times in 13 years and won all but twice.  To quote a news article 

"Death. Taxes. Oneida Middle School football championships. Things you can count on in East Tennessee."

Let's hear more from this coach who has turned winning into an art form.

heath a.jpg

7 questions to get to know Heath.

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Kids?, Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable) 

Gripboard Name: "Bearcat74"

Height: 6'0" (183cm)

Weight:  235lbs (106.6kg)

Hand:  8.25” (21cm)(Right hand dominant)

Country/City: USA/Oneida, TN

Relationship Status:  Married   

(Rebekah and I met in 1995 during high school and we were married in 2006.)

(After I graduated college, I came home and got a got a job at the school system I graduated from.  I became a 7th grade teacher and head middle school football coach.  Starting off things were rough, I was green and didn't know a lot (still don't) but you do what you know do and you work hard.  I've taught 7th grade Reading, Math, Geography, 8th Grade American History (11 years) and Alternative School. )

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)? 

I started to grip train in 1999.  I had seen a link to Ironmind grippers somewhere (isn’t that everyone’s answer, lol) and I decided to order a few.  I got the T and #1 first and a #2, #3, and #4 later.  I was over 1” off on the #3 when I first got it but I ended up closing it in a few weeks.  Bill (Wannagrip) and Steve (3Crusher) tabbed me as a troll because my progress was so fast and away we went.  I decided I was going to cert on the #3…come Hell or high water to prove them wrong. 

Note:  In 2001 Heath did just that…beating both Bill and Pat to the punch.

I received a lot of help and advice along the way from Bill Piche, Steve Weiner and Pat Povilatis.  By the time the dust all settled, I had closed around 60 different #3's, a pile of BBE's, 3 different BBSE's and a few different #4's.  Bill started the Mash Monster ladder and I really enjoyed it working my up to the MM6.  I just missed the MM7.  I've lifted several different Blobs including the one from Iron Island that Steve Weiner used to own (I think it was one of the old originals). 

Looking back, it was funny how mad we all got…but we ended up becoming great friends from all of it.  Bill has done an unreal job making the Gripboard into what it is today.  Steve isn’t on as much as he used to be and that’s a shame because he has a ton of great info.

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals? 

Well, I’ve done most of what I’ve wanted to do grip wise except closing the MM7.  Honestly, the main thing I’d like to do before I’m under is get back up to NY and NJ to train and hang out with Pat and Steve again.  I’ve gotten more enjoyment out of meeting the people associated with grip than I have training.

4.  How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training? 

My training has changed quite a bit from when I started.  I just incorporate grip along with my regular training.  I set aside no special time for it anymore.  I also don’t really focus on anything.  I may train pinch one day and then grippers the next.  I do typically try to train wrists 1-2 days a week.   I’ve been doing a lot of Fat Gripz and 2” bar training and it seems to help maintain strength. 

I’m not at my peak, but I’ve retained a decent level of strength.  I can still lift a Blob, mms close a 170-180 gripper, and lift my homemade 165lb solid thick handle DB.  I don't and have never set someone else’s accomplishments as a goal.  I monitor my progress and try to take steady steps. 

5.  What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

I like to work around on old cars.  Dad is an old Pro Street Mopar man so there is always something to tinker with.  I guess my main hobby is to both work on and shoot rifles and shotguns.  I’ve recently gotten into some longer range shooting out to 800yds on steel plates and it’s very challenging.  I also like to hunt whitetail deer, wild turkey and I love to hunt ginseng.  I also play a little mandolin when time allows. 

Most of my spare time is devoted to my football team though.  We’ve been pretty successful because of the team’s hard work and I don’t want to be the weak link. I’m constantly looking for ways to improve any aspect of our team from the weight room to practice efficiency to game management. 

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts/advice you'd like to include in your profile?

I missed a #4 cert in front of Joe Kinney; I've met Slim "The Hammer Man" Farman, Bill Kazmaier, Phil Phister, Mark Henry, and Bruce Wilhelm. 

I've had the most enjoyment and learned the most from meeting people like Sean Dockery, Jedd Johnson, Pat Povilatis, Steve Weiner, Jeff Roark, Scott Clayton, John Wood and other guys that are just stout as hell, hard working guys that like to train and share ideas.  

Advice?  Train hard, train smart and always try to better yourself.  In anything strength related, it’s good to have an end point in mind…but set achievable goals along the way. 

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see?

Steve Weiner

Thanks Heath.  Steve will be profiled in two weeks.  This series will return next Wednesday with Seung-Min Bae.

• Like 12

I love reading the stories on the historical members of the GB. Thanks for all of the work you are doing Nate!

• Like 2

Awesome job Nate. 

Heath was always willing to try my crazy ideas and also share his own crazy ideas with me too.  

Where he is on the MM ladder is no joke. He's on the short list for the all time best at closing grippers in my opinion.

• Like 3

Great profile! Heath, you ought to come down to Nashville to one of our competitions sometime. It's always a blast!

• Like 2

Heath Sexton- A true gentleman in every sense of the word.  Bill and I really tested his patience, and to Heath's credit, he just worked hard and proved that he was the real deal.  Having trained numerous times with Heath, I can personally attest to his physical strength.  His strength is matched only by how nice of a guy he is.  My favorite Heath story is when he and I were at Pat's about 13 years ago.  Pat had his bumper plate set loaded with two big green plates, which Heath then proceeded to go over and power clean with no warm up and no problem.  Pat and I looked at each other wide-eyed, because these green plates were 50kg plates a piece, so the pair of those plates plus the 20 kg bar totaled out to 120kg, or 264 pounds.  Heath put the bar down and in his Southern drawl exclaimed "man, that 135 felt heavy."  Pat and I cracked up and told him it was 264 pounds. Heath just shrugged and grinned.  This is a great profile and thanks for bringing it to us Nate. 

PS- Heath really should be on the #4 list, but that is a whole other story unto itself.  I will leave this one to Heath if he cares to share it. 

PPS- HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAATH!!!!

Edited by 3Crusher
  • Like 4

I love these.  Great profile Heath.  One of my all-time favorite posts at the board is your account of meeting up with Joe Kinney. 

• Like 3

One of the first I would consider a friend from the early days of the gripboard. Glad to see life is still going well for ya. One of the best and was always willing to offer advice and help when I harassed him for help. Great writeup!

• Like 1

Thanks guys and thanks to Nate for doing all the work. 

It's hard to believe that I'm one of the old guys, lol.  I was around in the EZ-board days. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cannon said:

I love these.  Great profile Heath.  One of my all-time favorite posts at the board is your account of meeting up with Joe Kinney. 

It was great getting to meet up with Joe.  I was so nervous about it.  I mean here I was meeting the man, the dude that was the first on the #4.  He was just as genuine and down to earth as they come.  We talked more about work and fishing than grip I think. 

Austin, you are another one I should have mentioned because it was great getting to know you and exchange information with you. 

Steve, I wasn't used to those fancy plates that were different colors and I sure wasn't used to KG's being on there.  I just thought I'd summoned my inner panzy and 135lbs was heavier than it should have been.  :)

• Like 5

I loved this!!! I love reading about the older members like Heath. Would like to see Dave Morton, Clay and the old gang. On a side note, I also remember Heath he did a #4 cert attempt in front of Randy himself and failed NOT due to not closing. He did close the #4. And boy those old #4 were just so hard. He didn't cert because Randy said it was deep or MMS. Heath crush was always up there.

And thanks anwnate for making this happen!

Heath- The Blob that you lifted was one of the originals created by Richard Sorin and once resided at Iron Island Gym until I purchased it from them.  I then made a trade with Richard Sorin, so now that Blob resides with him.  The inscription that was once on that blob is now gone from all of my lame attempts at it, but it said "to what man can lift me" and then had Richard's autograph on it.  I just looked at some old video the other day from December of 2002 at Pat's house where you lifted this blob along with "Bob's Blob" (the 51 pound pill shaped blob given to Pat by Bob Bollenbach) at the same time.  Good times my friend.  When we first met in person back in the summer of 2002 at the AOBS, I was 38, and now you are getting close to that.  Where does the time go?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Look at that football record as a coach!  Just incredible!

That's just a lot of work by a lot of people, mainly our players.  I've had one hell of a run of good, STRONG kids come through. 

8 hours ago, 3Crusher said:

Heath- The Blob that you lifted was one of the originals created by Richard Sorin and once resided at Iron Island Gym until I purchased it from them.  I then made a trade with Richard Sorin, so now that Blob resides with him.  The inscription that was once on that blob is now gone from all of my lame attempts at it, but it said "to what man can lift me" and then had Richard's autograph on it.  I just looked at some old video the other day from December of 2002 at Pat's house where you lifted this blob along with "Bob's Blob" (the 51 pound pill shaped blob given to Pat by Bob Bollenbach) at the same time.  Good times my friend.  When we first met in person back in the summer of 2002 at the AOBS, I was 38, and now you are getting close to that.  Where does the time go?

Thanks for the info, I was thinking along those lines but I wasn't for sure. 

Good times for sure! The Roger Lapointe mouth piece when we thought he had buckteeth, the double red velvet cupcake at Pat's, the buffalo chicken pizza at AOBS, Iron Island, good times my man!

• Like 2