South Jersey 3 (Sat. June 11th)

anwnate

@Buccos1 Nate is correct. We will be doing either BBW or IMPs. I'm leaning more toward BBWs since this will be at the end and many people will be tired and sore already. It's going to be DO as that seems to be the safest style after a long day of grip 

• Like 4

I had an impromptu grip session with my friend Mo (grip newbie).  I should probably have said that he had a session and I basically walked him through gripsport in general and what to expect at SJ3.  Although he's a big guy, I knew he was around a 100 cpw closer...so I didn't expect much from him, but for his very first session, he easily pinched 25's and floated some 35's.  He also pinched a 40lb fatman and the 56lbs SID. I let have a go at 90% of the implements and tried to coach him on grippers...particularly setting and swiping.  I think he'd add 25lb immediately if he learned how to set properly.

He asked if I thought he'd be ready for the comp. and I did my best to explain how impressed I was with where he was with zero training...and that I placed dead last in my first comp.  I do see this a lot with newbies...a fear of embarrassing themselves.  I think that the comp. experience alone is invaluable for grip progression.   

Like most people, he had never heard of gripsport and really didn't understand it before coming by.  But he left with a few practice implements and a little fire in his eyes...looking forward to (and a little scared) of the contest.  Hopefully those coming will welcome him into the fold.

I expect to have a couple more of these sessions after my 2.5" Crusher arrives with some Jersey peeps, but anyone is welcome to hit me up if you have a free day in the next 4 weeks and we can try and schedule something.

Slowly dotting the "I"s and crossing the "T"s. :)

• Like 2

I'm open to a training day before the contest. Maybe in a few weeks.

• Like 1

Naw, tell him he should be ahead of me. Right now I am happy to close a 78 rated gripper without pain. See how things are by the contest. For a long time I was convinced grip was never going to be in my training again.

It's all about enjoying the process and meeting good people.

• Like 3

So...since I built my set-up...my platform has bothered the hell out of me.  Basically the garage has about an 1.25" slope per 8'.

Since I'm holding a comp...it's got to be legit.

I put wood of different thickness across the span...then the 1.5" of plywood...then the 3/4" horse stall mats.

Problem solved. :)

blah.jpgblah blah.jpg

Additionally...I ordered a 10x20 pop-up tent to place in front of the garage...thereby expanding the comp space..and keeping the EVIL SUN out!

Progress! :)

blah3.jpg

• Like 9

Even our own tent! Holy crap. This sounds better than a couple of the strongman shows I did in my twenties. 

• Like 1

Did some cleaning.  

Built a weight caddy box and a strong ass block weight shelving unit.  

Man did I let this garage gym go to hell.  There's still a ton to do.

I should keep hosting this contest so the darn thing gets cleaned at least once a year. ;)

Progression pics...

caddy.jpg

shelving unit.jpg

uprights.jpg

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Jeff Parker said:

Looks great Nate! I really like all the color coding.

Thanks.  I'd like to say it's for other's benefit...but I'm lazy enough to never want to have to think about where they go.

33 minutes ago, KRC said:

giphy.gif

Ha!

This is gonna be EPIC!!!

Pardon my never ending contest updates. :)

I really want my first sanctioned contest to go smooth as silk.  I'm constantly surprised by the involved in setting up an event.

Don't get me wrong...it can be done with much "less."  But since I'm a newbie "promoter," I'd rather overthink it...than under think it.

So the tent arrived...and popped up just like it was supposed to.  I'm gonna have to fabricate some extensions for the legs on one side of it...due to the slope of my driveway.

I'm zoning out areas for different events etc etc...to try and keep order.  Although the tent expands the generally area quite a bit...25+ people is still 25+ people.

I sectioned off two little areas for warmups...each with 200lbs a piece (plenty considering the events).  There are going to be TWO Warmup Flasks...and TWO Warmup Crushers...much thanks to @Tom Scibelli, @Tank Andrade and @Anton.Torrella.  

With these numbers, I'm going to try to keep the comp. implement rolling for comp. attempts.

warmups.jpg

Big thanks to @Anthony C. and @MRabich for your donations to the cause!

They are appreciated and will go to good use...creating a day to remember.

Until the next update. ;) -Nate

• Like 4

If you'd like to know going in...

Here's the list of the Comp. grippers (All are CPW rated).

33 Tom's

37  IM Sport

39 Tank's

41  GHP 1

43 IM Sport

47  Velociraptor (Set)

50  IM Trainer

55  IM Trainer

60  IM Trainer

65  IM 0.5

68  IM 0.5

71  Spectrum 130

75  Spectrum 130

80  IM 1.0

84  IM 1.5

87  IM 1.5

90 GHP 4

95 GHP 4

100 IM 2.0

105 IM 2.5

109 GHP 5

113 GHP 5

118 Tetting SM

121 IM 2.5

126 GHP 6

129 IM 2.5

132 GHP 6

135 Tetting GM

138 GHP 6

142 IM 3.0

144 IM 3.0

146 IM 3.0

149 IM 3.0

150 GHP 7

153 IM 3.0

155 IM 3.0

159 Tetting MM1

162 Tetting MM2

166 Tetting MM2

170 Tetting MM2

175 GHP 8

176 Tetting MM2

180 IM 3.5

183 IM 3.5

185 Tetting MM4

190 Tetting MM4

195 Tetting MM4

197 Tetting MM4 

203 Tetting SE

204 IM 4.0

208 GHP 9

212 IM 4.0

216 GHP 9

220 IM 4.0

223 IM 4.0

• Like 3

I'm shooting to close that ghp6

27 minutes ago, EJ Livesey said:

I'm shooting to close that ghp6

lol...there is no way you score lower than the 155 #3.  159 is probably in your range...but 155 is a definite. 

• Like 1

EJ - Any idea of what length stock for the bending?

1 minute ago, Buccos1 said:

EJ - Any idea of what length stock for the bending?

7" is probably the best for everyone and I'll have more a variety for everyone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EJ Livesey said:

7" is probably the best for everyone and I'll have more a variety for everyone. 

OK.  I'm going to focus more on 7" then ... try to get some of the flexibility back.  

• Like 1

I am contemplating this contest but probably will not do any bending as I don't train it and won't start this close to nationals; but more interested in seeing everyone and meeting some new fellas!!

• Like 4

This sounds like it will be a great contest to go to. This year has been contest heavier with so many great contests popping up within driving distances. I wish I could do this one. So jealous of those going.

• Like 1

Mr. Carl is going to be bringing a CPW #2.5 @ 123...to tighten up that 5lb gap. :)

• Like 1

jh.jpg

Boom!  Sponsorship from one @JHenze646.

Incredibly cool.  Thanks man.

• Like 3

Shit just got real.

Who among you will lay claim to that array of steel?

array.jpg

• Like 5