South Jersey 3 (Sat. June 11th)

anwnate

Sorry I can't make it. I'm weak right now anyway. Still not fully recovered from my surgery. I'll be back full strength next year and hopefully back to closing #4s. I hope you guys have fun and I look forward to the results.  

Edited by Chez

Got the bending prizes today.  I'm going to customize them a little so they are something different. They should look good when I'm done with them. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

Let's not forget, I'm getting Dennis Rogers to donate some things. That will be pretty damn awesome to the guys that get it. 

• Like 4

Those look amazing...and freakin' sharp!

Very generous E.J.

Thanks again for all your help making this event a success. :rock

• Like 1

Quick update girls, found a t-shirt guy we talked. Gonna see if we can do business and make a deal. Also found a welding guy, talking to him tomorrow. Gonna see if we can do business and make a deal.

As for steel:

For those of you that don't know I have found the flaw with with wench based calibration rigs, and I'm going to overcome that with my calibration rig. I believe my knowledge and experience will help me fix the fundemental flaw. 

Stay tuned for more info

• Like 5

Reinventing the wheel for calibrating steel - rhymetastic

• Like 1

Updates:

We will have a Jr. Division.  @Ace Andrade, Jacob Scibelli and Andrew Scibelli...will be competing and hoping to set some records in the Youth Divisions...and put some (Under 15) numbers up on the Barrel Strength Leader Board.  These young gripsters are part of GripSport's future.  It will be absolutely awesome to see how they develop over the years. Who among us hasn't wondered where we'd be if we started grip earlier?  We are all going to have a good time, but I imagine we will manage to stay somewhat reasonable until it gets later. ;) 

We have 1 confirmed woman (Amber Edwards), but a few more are real possibility.  Time will tell.

Sponsors have come through in a big way.  I'm totally blown away by the response.  We will be having Overall placings and Divisions for the Sanctioned Contest.  Heavy and light placings for medley/RT farmers walk.  E.J. is also working out some cool ass bending shit.  FBBC Cert (attempts) will be also be available...and there will be a number of us available to help you get started (with lighter stock) if you want to learn how to melt steel.

Here is an updated list of confirmed and maybe's.  The numbers are getting big (20+)...but we have lots of help...and have some double devices for warmups.

Let me know if there are any errors or updates.

Name                                  Division                              Tshirt Size

Andrade, Anthony            Jr. Division                            Small

Andrade, Christopher                                                    XL          

Brous, Nathaniel                                                            2X

Cabrerra, Jose                                                               M

Clarino, Anthony                                                            L

Donati, Carl                                                                    L

Duncan, Mike                                                                 XL

Edwards, Amber               Women's Division                 M

Hunt, Matthew                                                                L

Last name?, Mo                                                             XL

Livesey, E.J.                                                                  2X

Manna, John                                                                  L

Rabich, Michael                                                             XL

Scibelli, Andrew                  Jr. Division                         Small

Scibelli, Jacob                    Jr. Division                          Small

Scibelli, Tom                                                                   2X

Smitley, Don                                                                   XL

Stepien, John                                                                 2X

Torrella, Anton                                                                XL

Wojceichowski, John                                                     2X

Maybe's

Parris Janusek                                                                 

Mike Krahling

Kevin Collen                                                                    2X

Andrew Pantke                                                                XL

• Like 4

Updates on my end:

1. found a t-shirt guy that can do our design, no problem. 

2. My steel calibration device will be done next week. Had to drop it off at the welders. 

3. Talked to Dennis Rogers, he will also be donating somethings as well. 

4. Figured out what the prize will be for the longest drive to the comp  as well  

I have a couple more things in the works, I hope they pan out. 

• Like 4

Looks like the making of a killer contest!

• Like 1

I'm confirmed for the after portion/bending only.  I also have a lot of 1/4" stainless round, 5/16" HRS round, 1/4" stainless square (all in 3' sticks), smaller DR (I, J, and K bars), and red nails (all pre-cut to 7") that I want to donate.  I overbought in a big way.  

• Like 2

Well guys...I got to tell you, I was pretty bummed when I got home from the E.R. today.

My heart went into a "rapid" A-fib that was different than my regular chaotic irregular beat.  My resting HR was 176...lying down.  I had SOB, nausea, my right arm was experiencing weird numbness and my chest was burning. While they drugged my heart rate down and cardioverted me, I came home pretty discouraged.

I got to say that all that disappeared when I saw a couple of Sorinex boxes waiting for me when I got home.  4 Sorinex Shirts, 3 x 4" pinch blocks and 3 x INCH Dumbbell Trainer Handles!

@1stCoC Richard Sorin really came through for this contest.  I'm totally blown away by the generosity.  

For a day like today, it was such a pick me up.  There is a good chance I'll have another surgery before the comp, but regardless of whether I compete...I'm excited to get to see everyone and plan on holding an event to remember.  Thanks to everyone for being part of this.  Huge thanks to Pops...there are gonna be 3 more INCH lifters in the future!

sorinex box.jpgsorinex shirts.png

• Like 7

That was very generous of Mr Sorin. Those inch trainer handles are very very cool

ninja edit: I will start training for this so I can be some what competitive.  

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 2

I'm sorry for the late notification.  This contest is sanctioned, as per discussion by the NAGS committee.  It was my fault on the delay.  Thanks for following up, Nate.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I'm sorry for the late notification.  This contest is sanctioned, as per discussion by the NAGS committee.  It was my fault on the delay.  Thanks for following up, Nate.

Woot!  Thanks man.

@Fhaak3 (L) is now a confirmed competitor.

Welcome back to the Land of Gripovia. :)

• Like 1

Almost got my attendance locked in. Couple details left. We have a funeral to attend Memorial Day weekend in CT now which made this a bit more messy. Will know in the next couple of days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canthar said:

Almost got my attendance locked in. Couple details left. We have a funeral to attend Memorial Day weekend in CT now which made this a bit more messy. Will know in the next couple of days. 

Damn!  That's 8.5 hours without real traffic.  I'm honored and you are more than welcome.  

For a first grip contest, you are gonna get to meet quite a few gripsters. :)

All set on my end. Trip is a go!

Anyone want me to bring some clubs or anything?

Edited by canthar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, canthar said:

All set on my end. Trip is a go!

Anyone want me to bring some clubs or anything?

Do you swing macebells too?

Yes. I have a couple metal ones that travel well. 

I swing in traditional style. 

Edited by canthar

I have a 10 kg torque athletic and a loadable 33 lb evil monkey, last time I swung that one I pulled something in my upper back.

Might be too heavy or bad technique. There are some small nuances to it. Want me to bring mine? Can go over it pretty easily. Least enough to get you moving for more practice. 

• Like 1

EJ/Nate -

How many people are going to be bending?  My best days with steel bending are long-gone, but I'd love to do something competition-style.  Was anything ever decided about this or will it be the last-man standing?  Any specific styles/wraps?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

EJ/Nate -

How many people are going to be bending?  My best days with steel bending are long-gone, but I'd love to do something competition-style.  Was anything ever decided about this or will it be the last-man standing?  Any specific styles/wraps?

I can't answer for sure who will bend.  We will have weaker steel available for anyone who wants to get started with it also.

@EJ Livesey is the one who is handling the steel bending competition etc.  Not sure why...probably should be a real bender doing it. ;)

Until he chimes in...this is what I think.

Pretty sure EJ and I decided that we would go with BBW's.

Here's an update with confirmed.  Those in Red are...Red Nail Roster.  Those in Green are Red/Bastard level, but uncertified as of yet.  Sry if I left someone out. 

1             Andrade, Anthony             CT                         

2             Andrade, Christopher        CT                         

3             Branson, Nic                      NC                        

4             Brous, Nathaniel                NJ                         

5             Cabrera, Jose                     NY                                       

6             Clarino, Anthony                NY                                       

7             Collen, Kevin                      MA                       

8             Donati, Carl                        PA                        

9             Duncan, Mike                     NJ                         

10           Edwards, Amber                CT                         

11           Haack, Frank                      NJ                         

12           Hunt, Matthew                    NJ                         

13           Livesey, E.J.                        MD                       

14           Manna, John                       NJ                         

15           Newbie, Mo                        NJ                         

16           Rabich, Michael                  NY                        

17           Scibelli, Andrew                  MD                       

18           Scibelli, Jacob                     MD