Strength Shop USA Circus Dumbbells vs FBBC Baby inch?

Scott Styles

How do they compare? What makes the FBBC one worth twice as much? Is strength shop good enough?

Thinking about getting one, putting my fat gripz on dumbbells at the gym works, but a cast dumbbell looks more fun.

Anyone know how the fat gripz on a normal dumbbell handle compares to a baby inch?

I have a strength shop bell and I have had an opportunity to play with the Inch Jr. bell. Buy the FBBC bell.

• Like 1

Scott I have both and I can do a video comparison, but It will have to be next week as I'm heading out of town for the weekend.

I bought a 58kg bell from strength shop a while ago and it developed a hole the size of a quarter in the bottom flap part, and some kind of black powder came out of it. I called strength shop and told them about it and they sent me a new one. Within a couple weeks the new did the exact same thing. Go with FBBC

I have both. Ill shoot a comparison later for you.

I have one 140# deathbell left if anyone is interested (2.5" handle) which i would compared to about 160# difficulty with a 2 3/8" handle...I can lift the 154# deathbell about 3-4 inches off the ground which I can lift the inch db to my knee. 

I bought the Strength Shop dumbbell to save money and I definitely get work done with it, but the handle is more oval and makes it awkward to pick up. Also it has a weird long handle and flats on the bell bottoms. I've had my hands on a couple of other bells that were made with more quality in mind and they didn't have any of the weird design flaws that I seen on the Strength shop bells.

I appreciate the input, video would be cool.

The 100lb range is what I'm looking at. At my strength levels, it will be a long term goal to clean the bell and get it overhead. Something about a fixed weight implement is especially motivating to me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scott Styles said:

I appreciate the input, video would be cool.

Here you go buddy.

• Like 5

Jared is on point. I tried both the SS bell and the inch Jr. Inch Jr hands down. The SS bell felt weird. As described above, the handle was goofy and long. Defiantly not made with quality in mind. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jordi said:

thanks Jared, very good explanation.

you have the pro dumbbell FBB?

what opinion you have pro dumbbell FBB.

I don't own the Pro Dumbbell, looks good but at the sometime I have never tired it.

2 hours ago, Sam Radford said:

@Lucasraymond how do your 'deathbells' compare to globe dumbbells in terms of rotation when lifting?

Exactly the same honestly for rotation, ...handle is 2.5" instead of 2 3/8" so it actually feels harder

• Like 1

As of today the Pro Bells, 2.5" Olympic loaded dumbbells, 100 Inch Jr, 125 Inch Jr all have a 2.50" Handle. We stuck with this size as nearly all the Inch replicas in the USA have 2.5" handles. 

The long term plan is to change to the 2.375" handle on the 172 Inch replica and anything heavier than that we might make. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one of the fbbc pro bells to train on, after getting frustrated with fat gripz on my spin lock dumbbell. I like it much better. I found:

When I'd snatch or clean the spin lock, the stars would unscrew. I had to tighten them every rep or two. The bolts in the fbbc bell solve this completely.

The fat gripz were not the same diameter, length or texture as an inch style bell. All 3 problems fixed with the fbbc bell.

I've had other loadable thick dumbbells in the past, even with those, length is a problem. They are typically 16" plus in length, and have a bar sticking out of the end. Even the cheap spin lock dumbbells I have are 14". The fbbc bell with 6" bolts comes in well under that. It also has the advantage of a blunt end, thanks to the bolts. This is an advantage when cleaning and pressing.

The only disappointment I had was finding I am not as strong as I thought. The fat gripz had given me a false confidence. I also ordered the 100lb inch, expecting my goal would be to put it over head with a year or two of training... I may have bought a dumbbell I cannot yet lift off the ground. Whoops. I am training hard in anticipation of its arrival, but overhead might be on the five year plan. At least I have the best possible tool to prepare.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...