one arm pullups on rolling thunder

Evan Raftopoulos

33 minutes ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

too bad there is no vid, do you remember if he did it full range of motion? or if you have the vid still would he mind if you post it? or would he be able to do it again today and take a vid? I know I might be asking too much but I like to have vid proof when people ask me who did it. I have vids of everyone else. 

I'll try to find the vid the next days and ask him! Thanks a lot for posting the other videos - always cool to see such freaks in action!

one thing that I just noticed, see how Timo's hand wraps around the rolling thunder so there is almost not gap at all. At some point it looks like his thumb is touching his fingers. He must have huge hands which makes this easier if you can already do one arm pullup on regular bar.  

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

Given his weight (90k+) Timo's performance is in a class of its own. One of the most impressive athletes I have seen.

• Like 3

No problem Tommy! 

tried this again at the gym today, I'm starting to feel more confident about doing two reps in the near future. My left is definitely stronger with this for some reason. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I would think definitely not easier without the thumb.. I cant even come close without the thumb. It actually feels more impossible for me than the first time i tried an inch with a regular grip. I have heard reports of John Brzenk lifting the inch with a hook grip. and oddly enough, im not surprised, given his legendary status on an arm wrestling table.

that said, no, if guys like John, or any elite level puller are the only guys we might see hook the inch, i wouldnt bet on seeing it done a lot by anyone else. 

I would actually be very impressed if even our most elite gripsters could hook the inch.

Its too early on a Saturday, so pardon my confusion.  I thought a hook grip simply meant you had hands big enough to grasp the thumb...as opposed to holding your hand like a hook.  

220px-Hookgrip.jpg

It does. He probably just meant with a curled wrist, like a hook grip in armwrestling.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

It does. He probably just meant with a curled wrist, like a hook grip in armwrestling.

Doh!  Ok gotcha. Thanks.  That's insane!  That wrist strength is unworldly.

• Like 1

A thumbless InchDB DL was already done by several guys!

I know a few armwrestlers who have successfully lifted the Inch with a thumbless grip, but who cannot lift it in the conventional manner.

• Like 1

I tried the rolling thunder one arm chin up thumbless and felt easier at first but halfway up I couldn't keep my wrist fully flexed and couldn't finish it. So definitely harder for me thumbless but I think with some training I can do it. It's all in the wrist. You basically need to be able to do isometric wrist curl hold your body weight on a thick revolving handle for a few seconds and fully against gravity. 

Evan, I finally watched those vids. CRAZY strong!  That's really inspiring. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

No problem Tommy! 

tried this again at the gym today, I'm starting to feel more confident about doing two reps in the near future. My left is definitely stronger with this for some reason. 

Dude

• Like 1

thank you Matt and Justin! I will try two reps soon but before that I might try to do it with 5 pounds on the other hand. The OAC progressions are always fun!  

Sometimes I can't even stand up without both hands. Truly mind blowing Evan. 

tumblr_msiivjFW5R1s0my1wo1_400.gif

thank you brother, I've been going at it for a while now. I'm hoping that more will follow. From what I've seen the typical one arm chin guys don't train grip much so for them this is hard, it's up to the grip sport guys,  climbers, arm wrestlers, ninja warriors and other nutjobs out there :P

I got some good news this morning and as celebration I tried to do reps on the rolling thunder 

not full ROM but I was able to hang on there for longer than what I expected :P

I have to say though I have the older model which based on what others mentioned does not spin as much as the newer model. I really want to try this on the newer model but don't feel like spending the money for that right now. 

here's the vid

• Like 1

Here's a good question, how did you progress to regular one arm pull ups? I'm doing one hand on the bar, and one finger from the other in eagle loop.

that's a great exercise, I did most of what this guy is showing here. 

• Like 1

You are killing it Evan, great job

• Like 1

My friend climber Josh Levin did today two full reps on the rolling thunder! This guy needs to compete in Grip Sport!