one arm pullups on rolling thunder

Evan Raftopoulos

tried these today, my left felt stronger than my right

• Like 11

I also tried one finger pullup for the first time and max one arm pullups on eagle loops

• Like 3

Wow that's a crazy feat! Now go for real greatness and do an Inch lift! I personally know only one guy who was able to do both feats!! This combination is truley impressive - but doing one of them is also really strong!! BTW, I can't do any of these feats....

• Like 1

I'll probably be able to do 5 one arm pullups on the rolling thunder and still unable to lift the inch :P

when and if I reach ~170 lb on the 2.5 crusher I might start looking for an inch, im about 25 lb away and every lb gained on that thing is lots of hard work

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, burkhardmacht said:

Wow that's a crazy feat! Now go for real greatness and do an Inch lift! I personally know only one guy who was able to do both feats!! This combination is truley impressive - but doing one of them is also really strong!! BTW, I can't do any of these feats....

Yes doing them both at the same time would be awesome, one hand chin up with RT and the INCH in the other hand :D

Just kidding, awesome strength Evan!

• Like 1

Holy crap monkeys.  Very freaking impressive man.  Nice.

• Like 1

This is one of my ultimate grip strength related goals. And you're making it look like a cake walk! And 6 one arm pullups on the IM eagle loops?! Crazy strong!

• Like 1

thanks guys, I really appreciate the support. I've been interested in the RT one pull-up since I saw the guys before me doing it: Mike Hann (Arm wrestler), Peter Mortensen (rock climber), Timo Lauttamus (rock climber). Mike and Timo are or at least have been grip sport athletes as well. I did a good attempt a few months ago but felt that it wasn't good enough range of motion so I kept training for it. In the meantime I challenged Geoff Britten (ninja warrior champion)to try this and IM send him a RT. He did it and now we are in a race for two reps, something that has never been done before (although looking at some of Timo's attempts his one rep looks so smooth that makes me think he can do two reps already ). So as far as I'm aware only the five of us have done this. That does not mean that others cannot do it (for example experienced or pro climbers or other grip guys that can do one arm pullup and lift bodyweight+ on RT can probably do it), it just means that only the five of us have tried it and succeeded based on the information that's available online.  Now I'm thinking of contacting ironmind to suggest that they make this an official certification process. I think that the current certifications favor the heavier guys. If you are a lighter dude is not easy to lift 200lb on the RT for the crush to dust cert, or close a CoC3 credit cart set, or bend a rend nail in IM pads. I think it would be awesome to add the one arm pull-up on rolling thunder as a certification event: have a judge come with a new rolling thunder, start from deadhang, the judge says go then chin has to get above RT, then controlled decent to deadhang again (from my attempts above I feel the first one was the best with full range of motion). Anyway, just sharing some thoughts on this. Thanks again for the kind words everyone.

17 hours ago, burkhardmacht said:

I personally know only one guy who was able to do both feats!! This combination is truley impressive 

are you talking about Timo? 

16 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes doing them both at the same time would be awesome, one hand chin up with RT and the INCH in the other hand :D

lol, and then close the Hercules Tetting gripper no set

13 hours ago, Anthony C. said:

Dude you're a beast.

bro, not really, if I cert on the red nail one day maybe then you can call me a beast :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David_wigren said:

This is one of my ultimate grip strength related goals. And you're making it look like a cake walk! And 6 one arm pullups on the IM eagle loops?! Crazy strong!

you got this bro, I know you can do it with some training. 

My reps might look smooth but I did like 10 attempts and those were the best three. It's a strange thing but one time it felt relatively easy and the next time I couldn't do it full rom, then I rested and came back to it and did it again, at the end I got too tired and couldn't do more.

Not sure but I think that the eagle loop might make it easier than doing them at the pullup bar. That's because you don't have to worry about your grip at all, it only takes some finger strength to hang from those but you don't have to engage your grip much. I also think that this allows you to rest a bit on the way down and have more strength for doing more reps. So assuming you can do 2-3 one arm chinup/pullup it might be easier to do them on eagle loops.   

5 hours ago, jordi said:

Awesome,

Hello Evan, I see you work a lot with the eagle loops.

Helps you in the eagle loops grip training ?

thanks

are you asking if eagle loops help build grip strength? If yes then I don't think so, maybe they help build finger tendon hanging tolerance. The one finger pullup for example is more about pain tolerance than pullup or grip strength imo.

10 hours ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

are you talking about Timo? 

No, I was talking about Martin Ressel - he took part in the Euros in 2006 and 2008 I believe. He was able to lift the Inch, to do one arm chin on an RT and on a vbar like implement - all feats done with either hand! I have a video of him in my GB gallery.

Timo Lauttamus? I'm sure he has already done those feats but I don't know him personally. He seems to be a very special guy with some crazy abilities - truely amazing! Also Gabriel Sum might be able (or have been able) to do these. Martin and Gabriel are around 90kg BW.

Edited by burkhardmacht

2 hours ago, burkhardmacht said:

No, I was talking about Martin Ressel - he took part in the Euros in 2006 and 2008 I believe. He was able to lift the Inch, to do one arm chin on an RT and on a vbar like implement - all feats done with either hand! I have a video of him in my GB gallery.

Timo Lauttamus? I'm sure he has already done those feats but I don't know him personally. He seems to be a very special guy with some crazy abilities - truely amazing! Also Gabriel Sum might be able (or have been able) to do these. Martin and Gabriel are around 90kg BW.

Timo is very strong with thickbar but haven't seen any vid of him lifting the inch, I just know he is the heaviest and I believe the strongest with thickbar from all those who did the RT one arm pullup (more correctly we should call it chinup as the palm is supinated). Gabriel posted some vids of him trying to do one arm pullup on regular bar but never got a full rep based on his vids, so I don't think he can do it unless he can do couple of one arm pullups full range of motion first. 

I can't find anything on Martin Ressel doing one arm chinup on rolling thunder, did he do a full rep? Does anyone have a vid of him doing it? 

1 hour ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

Timo is very strong with thickbar but haven't seen any vid of him lifting the inch, I just know he is the heaviest and I believe the strongest with thickbar from all those who did the RT one arm pullup (more correctly we should call it chinup as the palm is supinated). Gabriel posted some vids of him trying to do one arm pullup on regular bar but never got a full rep based on his vids, so I don't think he can do it unless he can do couple of one arm pullups full range of motion first. 

I can't find anything on Martin Ressel doing one arm chinup on rolling thunder, did he do a full rep? Does anyone have a vid of him doing it? 

He did send me an email years ago with videos attached.He used a crowbar to do onearm chins and an old RT model as well. He is not the kind of guy to post videos - he is too modest and always in some kind of understatement mode! The Inch lift is in my gallery. He lifted it boths hands but I had to cut out the left hand lift (when I remember correctly) because in his opinion it was not good enough! He did good lifts on several other occasions though.

3 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Forgive me for not going back and looking at vids (im on my phone and its a pain in the ass to go back and fourth) but is every one who is doing these 1 arm RT pullups actually grabbing the RT like you would an inch db, or is everyone just hooking the hand and not using the thumb? 

While both are indeed strong, using the thumb is more in spirit of grip. Not using the thumb represents more wrist strength, and doesnt target the grip hardly at all.

i hope my tone is not insulting.. I cant think of any other way to ask besides to be detailed about what im asking.

Thumbless grip is different for sure. But is it easier? If this would be the case we might see more thumbless InchDB lifts I assume. BTW, Martin did it with thumb.

31 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Forgive me for not going back and looking at vids (im on my phone and its a pain in the ass to go back and fourth) but is every one who is doing these 1 arm RT pullups actually grabbing the RT like you would an inch db, or is everyone just hooking the hand and not using the thumb? 

While both are indeed strong, using the thumb is more in spirit of grip. Not using the thumb represents more wrist strength, and doesnt target the grip hardly at all.

i hope my tone is not insulting.. I cant think of any other way to ask besides to be detailed about what im asking.

Mike Hann (@ivarboneless ) is the only one who did it thumbless as far as I know, for him it might be easier because he is an armwrestler and he has very strong wrists. It really depends on the person if it's easier or not. I haven't tried it but I will in a few days. 

I 've tried one arm chin up on the Gumball by threeball climbing which involves a lot of wrist strength (it's very slippery) but probably easier for me than rolling thunder, so far I have the record on most reps on the Gumball and IMO that's because it requires wrist strength that most climbers with good grip strength that tried this don't have. 

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

34 minutes ago, burkhardmacht said:

He did send me an email years ago with videos attached.He used a crowbar to do onearm chins and an old RT model as well. He is not the kind of guy to post videos - he is too modest and always in some kind of understatement mode! The Inch lift is in my gallery. He lifted it boths hands but I had to cut out the left hand lift (when I remember correctly) because in his opinion it was not good enough! He did good lifts on several other occasions though.

too bad there is no vid, do you remember if he did it full range of motion? or if you have the vid still would he mind if you post it? or would he be able to do it again today and take a vid? I know I might be asking too much but I like to have vid proof when people ask me who did it. I have vids of everyone else. 

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

here are the vids of the other three again