Jeff Parker - Level 1

Bill Piche

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Jeff Parker

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

This certification is granted by The GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest.

The Mash Monster Gripper is one of a limited number supplied and controlled by The GripBoard.

The gripper is closed with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for posterity.

Official Mash Monster Video

Name: Jeff Parker
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 229
Date of Feat: 2/27/16
Witness: Andrew Pantke
How Long Grip Training: 14 years 
Current Grip Training Program:  2 days a week, focusing on contest lifts
Other Training Info: Crossfit and general strength training

Acknowledgements: My wife for putting up with all my equipment and time spent training.  My parents for helping me get started in weight training and grip. My 3 year old daughter for saying "Daddy is strong!" when I close a gripper or lift something heavy.  All the people I have met through grip who make it fun.

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?
I started lifting in High School to help with sports.  In college I became interested in strongman and started grip training help.  After a few strongman competitions I did my first grip contest in 2002 at Larkin's Gym.  After that I focused on grip contests only, with a few breaks from life getting too busy.

How did you get into grip training?
I was doing an internet search online in college looking for ways to improve my grip for strongman.  I found the Gripboard, joined and started training.

You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this gripper?
I would train your grip in all different ways and stick to a plan as long as your making gains.  If the gains stop, listen to your body and change something up.

What does your current grip routine look like?
I train 2 days a week for 1-2 hours each day.  I focus mainly on events that will be in whatever contest I am doing next.

How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip?
When I first started I went for max lifts just about every workout.  Now I like to have a few weeks of just getting quality work in and not going to failure before I do max lifts again.

There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees. Have you experimented with workout frequency and its effect on your training?
I have trained almost every day and I have trained once a week or less.  My best frequency is training once every 4 days.  Unfortunately this does not always work out as it's easier to just do 2 times a week, but if your schedule allows it, I feel that 3 days off between workouts is optimal.

What are your favorite grip exercises?
I like grippers and anything pinch.

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training?
Do a variety of things and don't specialize unless your just in it for the gripper certs.  I made the mistake of neglecting thick bar for far too long, and now it holds me back at contests. 

Who do you most admire in gripdom?
Don Larkin.  He was doing grip before most people had even heard of it.  He has a tremendous amount fo heart and knowledge.

If you were to start over again with your grip training, what would you do differently?
I would hit thick bar with the same intensity I have for the rest of grip.  I have always done a lot of grippers and pinch because I travel and work a lot so they are the easiest to take with me, but I would find a way to fit it in.

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?
Bending.  It's hard to be good at bending while being good at other things.  The hands take such a beating there is not much left for everything else.

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?
I have cleaned a blob, pinched 2-45's with each hand, pinched 2-45's and passed them around my body 13 times, closed a 180lb gripper with MMS in a contest, and lifted 75lbs in a contest on the Ironmind Hub.

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees?
Going for a max attempt every lift, every workout.  Think about grip like all kinds of strength training.  Max lifts are fun, they let you know if your training is working,but going to failure every time doesn't make for great gains.  Put in solid work with heavy singles, doubles and triples and the gains will come.

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time?
The most impressive that I have personally seen were when Kody broke the 1 hand pinch record at King Kong 2015 and when Jedd broke the 2 hand pinch record at Gripmas in 2007.

Do you have any parting advice for readers?
Train hard and enjoy life with the people that you love.

JeffParker2.thumb.JPG.075d8eb1c38558150d

Jeff Parker, the 100th man in the world to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1.