Big diference between hands strenght

Drakon61

One question gripmasters XD it's normal that I can close the Coc 2 with my left hand from mms set but can't close the Coc 1.5 with my right hand with mms set? what can I do to fix that?

Thank you all guys

It's normal to have a dominant hand on certain implements yes but in your case, the difference being that big I'd say it's not normal, also considering that a gripper is easier to close with right hand.

Only thing you can do is to train your right hand, maybe take a little break with the left if you want them to be more balanced.

Are you sure your setting technique is good enough for the right hand? You say MMS but have you actually measured the distance your crushing from? Try block sets, then you know for sure that the distances are identical for both hands.

• Like 1

IMO It's actually very common.  

Although it's not standard...I've noticed the general difference between both hands to be around 20lbs RGC.

If you happen to work a job that needs both hands...that often closes the gap some.

One thing to consider is the RGC.  Since you didn't mention it, I'll assume they haven't been.

There is a documented case of a #2.5 being more difficult than a light end #3.

In this case, if you have a difficult #1.5 and an easy #2...the difference could be as little as 5lbs.

If the gap between both hands sits at 15lbs currently...it would make complete sense.

FoF had some good points about technique and setting distance.

Personally, my left hand is retarded. lol  It's strong...but that last 1/8" is difficult...regardless of the gripper strength.

Additionally, as Jedd and others have mentioned.  If you are righty...your left hand is having to work against the natural movement of the spring...generally makes things tougher.

• Like 2

My experience is that this is strictly an issue of coordination.  Most people have more dexterity and control with their dominant hand and therefore better, stronger and more coordinated recruitment with that hand.  Even if you practice reps evenly, you've already done XX years of dominate-hand practice that will result in your dominate hand "getting more" from the same training.  I honestly believe your best chance to stay even would be dedicated non-dominate practice on your off days.  And I don't mean gripper practice.  Maybe practice writing for 30 minutes.  Or throwing a ball.  Or doing hand exercises like those Chinese balls.  That kind of thing. 

I have long believed that my left hand would actually be my stronger gripper hand if it was simply more coordinated.  But closing a gripper left-handed feels as clumsy as trying to reverse all the steps of tying a shoe.  I almost can't do it.      

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

My experience is that this is strictly an issue of coordination.  Most people have more dexterity and control with their dominant hand and therefore better, stronger and more coordinated recruitment with that hand.  Even if you practice reps evenly, you've already done XX years of dominate-hand practice that will result in your dominate hand "getting more" from the same training.  I honestly believe your best chance to stay even would be dedicated non-dominate practice on your off days.  And I don't mean gripper practice.  Maybe practice writing for 30 minutes.  Or throwing a ball.  Or doing hand exercises like those Chinese balls.  That kind of thing. 

I have long believed that my left hand would actually be my stronger gripper hand if it was simply more coordinated.  But closing a gripper left-handed feels as clumsy as trying to reverse all the steps of tying a shoe.  I almost can't do it.      

This is a theory I've had for a while also. I'm left handed for the most part, I write with my left but throw balls and stuff like that better with right, kick balls better with left though, I consider myself left handed (because of the writing) but I'm stronger in the right part of my upper body muscularly. Yet I'm actually better with grippers in my left hand, considering a right turn gripper is harder to close with left hand. I wouldn't stand a chance against a Left Turn #3 with my right but my left hand is basically as strong as my right with normal grippers, endurance is not as good though.

Do a set with your weak hand first, or have a completely different routine (different gripper, different # of reps) with each hand.

It's tempting to go at it with your strong hand first and then just switch hands. You end up with a lot of failed attempts on your weak hand, and the gap in strength will only increase.

This is interesting.  I am right handed and that strong hand does close grippers better. 

I am going to try to only use my cell phone in the left hand to work in some of Cannon's dexterity training in my non dominant hand.  

• 2 months later...

My right hand is a full half a gripper stronger than my left. I think that's because I am old. Had more years than most to develop that coordination gap. I think the gap is shrinking, as it used to be more than that. I train my hands the same. I close a 3 right hand on a good day with the wind at my back, and a 2.5 left.