Tendonitis Log

Fist of Fury

Done a bunch of thumbless thick bar training. Tried some grippers with 30 mm block set. Can close all my #3's but strength is dissipating very quickly. Going to put grippers to rest for a while and focus on wrist training. I feel a need to do something else for while or I'll get bored to death.

• Like 1

More thumbless lifts and some work with the Wrist developer. After that, 3 reps with G5 and 2 reps with 153# #3.

• 2 weeks later...

Got any wrist developer details? I just dug out my WD2 and am using it reverse, no pads but athletic tape on the handles. Best I can get now is notches 3-3 with orange spring.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:32 PM, wobbler said:

Got any wrist developer details? I just dug out my WD2 and am using it reverse, no pads but athletic tape on the handles. Best I can get now is notches 3-3 with orange spring.

What exactly are you reffering to?

16-18/01/20

Done a bunch of blob training with left hand and a bunch of gripper closes right hand.

Blob curls with 16 lbs, about 8 sets total.
Blob reps with 29.5 lbs, amrap sets.
Blob singles with 30.5 lbs.
Blob drags with 53.8 lbs legacy blob.

Grippers with 30 mm set, 156#, 153#.
Gripper MMS Paused, 162~, about 5-6 singles in total.
#3.5 choked to 22.8 mm, 2-3 closes, plus some closes at 20 mm.
37 mm block, 150# & 146#, a few singles each.
20 mm block set, 98# - 35 reps.

Thick bar, 50 mm handle, up to 77 kg L&R.

Some wrist levering and reverse curls and tricep push downs.

Sunday 19/1/20

Grippers right hand
#3.5 179# choked to 19 mm - 1x1 (video below)
#3.5 unrated choked to 23.8 mm - 1 mm off.
#3.5 175# paused MMS attempt - 3-4 mm off.
#3.5 unrated choked to 23.8 mm - 2-3 mm off.
#3 153# 37 mm block set - 1x1 (will call this a PR, haven't trained this set for years and this gripper is harder than the 150# rated GHP7 I had, which I never closed).
#3 146# 37 mm block set - 2 reps attempt, 3-4 mm off on second rep.
GM BTR 37 mm block set - 10 seconds.

Right when I turned the camera off, the hose clamp just flew off the gripper to the other side of the room and the gripper flew out of my hand! :laugh

• Like 1

Wednesday 22/1/20

Some gripper training today. 3.5# choked to 23 mm, can't get the last 0.5 mm shut, did 3 attempts and braced close. One wide set attempt with elite spring at 162~, missed with a hair due to bad knurling, I'm intentionally using handles with smooth knurling to make it harder. Then I did 30 mm block set with 153#, attempted 2x2, missed last rep with 1 mm or so, high effort on that one, so I hope my pinky gets stronger from it.

Some forearm work with kettlebell.

Also did 5 sets of light bench press for warmup, chest was a bit sore from bending yesterday.

Friday 24/1/20

Tired and lifeless, did some grippers:

WU to wide set close with 146#, felt very easy, like a #2.5 felt 1-1.5 years ago or so.
#3.5 choked to 23 mm, closed once and missed second.
30 mm block set with 153# - 2 reps attempt.
37 mm block set with 146# 1x1
37 mm block set with 98 - 15 reps
37 mm block set with 146# 1x1.

Did some blob negatives with left hand.

Saturday 25/1/20

WU with WD2 - 4-5 sets.

Grippers 20 mm block right hand
153#: 3, 2, 1, 1. 150#: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 0. (34).

IMHH Sup/Pro: 2x10
KB swings: 2x20
And some deadlifts with fatgripz and hook-grip.

Resigned from MM2 for now. Need to break through this plateau first. It's way to expensive to fail. Need to make the #3.5 a daily close. 

• Like 1

26-30/01-20

Done some gripper work and some bending. Grippers strength is trash right now. Can only do one single with the 156# with 30 mm block then I get tired and can't even close easier grippers.
I did managed to do 4 reps with the 153# using the 20 mm block, which was okay considering I was tired and hands trashed.

Did some WD2 work today using a weight hanging from the anchor hand. Saw that David Horne recommended this exercise and I can see why. makes the anchor hand work much harder.

Also did some chest crushed with RB grippers. Did 10 reps with 330 then tried the 365, might have closed it once. Should be somewhere around 220-230#. The 330 is somewhere around 200# I think. These are easier than 8 mm HRS :blink Which I tried before and I had to leg crush it past the sweep. I managed to crush the last part using the same technique as when you do a negative/fored close with a gripper. It surely felt just about, or even harder than a #4 gripper. 7 mm CRS works for me now at "7 with IMP's. I can get enough kink on it reverse to be able to finish it DO.

Also did some bench press. Some cardio too before the workout, had to shovel wet snow and it was brutal. Had to throw the snow for long distances. No need for kettlebell swings today :D 

Ordered some GHP grippers and I'm happy that one turned out to be 167#. Will be 100% optimal as a MM2 trainer.

• Like 1

31/01-2/02

Been doing rehab training for two days now, using dexterity balls, rubber band extensions and COC#1.5. Did three easy singles with long pause and wide set with the GBI G5 gripper today and some light holds with the blob trainer. Also did shoulder mobility work and light squats and some good mornings. Going to do one more rehab day tomorrow then I will try some grippers again and see how it feels.

Tuesday 4/2/20

Grippers right hand paused MMS
153#: 4x1
156#: 1x1
162~: 1x0
156#: 4x1

Still feels like shit. Might be because of bending or it mihgt just be because I train too little.

DO bending: 7x170 mm CRS in IMP's. Two from 7 degrees and one from the start, first time I managed to do that. Also did some reverse hits, feel really weak at that now. Might be the reason gripper strength sucks at the moment. 

Wednesday 5/2/20

Shoulder mobility and light bench press with slow eccentric and fast concentric movement.

Some more DO bending. Did 1 x 8x170 mm HRS in IMP's. Felt much esuer than before, this is warmup now.
Then I did 1 x 7x170 mm CRS in IMP's, also easy. After that I did two of the same in succession.

Tried chest crush grippers but strength wasn't there. I think I will only do these if I run out of steel to train with.

Did paused MMS grippers with right hand - 8x1 with 156# #3. Felt terrible. Setting is too weak when I bend this much.

Finished with some pin hammer curls - 3x10.

It is no wonder you have difficulties with grippers. Just look at what you did in december. Every day grippers full dash! I think it doesn't work like that. I would do block periodisation as in all other strength sports. You cannot crush big grippers all the time. Everybody, including me, seems to have problem with patience when grippers are involved. They're small and they invite you to do dumb things.

1 hour ago, Goran Paulinič said:

It is no wonder you have difficulties with grippers. Just look at what you did in december. Every day grippers full dash! I think it doesn't work like that. I would do block periodisation as in all other strength sports. You cannot crush big grippers all the time. Everybody, including me, seems to have problem with patience when grippers are involved. They're small and they invite you to do dumb things.

I have different experience with gripper training. I get stronger the more often I train with them. Reason I'm trash now is because of bending.

Everybody has different experience. :) Is there any man at all who can stick to some kind of program regarding grippers? In deadlift and squats one cannot afford himself to joke around with several hundreds of kilos. With grippers it is always "something else."

2 hours ago, Goran Paulinič said:

Everybody has different experience. :) Is there any man at all who can stick to some kind of program regarding grippers? In deadlift and squats one cannot afford himself to joke around with several hundreds of kilos. With grippers it is always "something else."

Maybe try Cadence Based Training by Jedd Johnson if you want a program to follow.

• Like 1

Thursday 6/2/20

Grippers right hand paused MMS - 6x piss.

Saturday 8/2/20

Bench press
DO Bending
Shoulder press
Tricep push down.

Grippers right hand paused MMS - 6x1 with 156#, felt better.

Monday 10/2/20

Gripper strength is down the trash can. Probably lost around 20 lbs in little over a month. Going to keep bending steel tho since that's what I want to do. I will use the #2 only for a month now.

Wednesday 12/2/20

Shoulder stretching.
Band pull apart: to the chest: 3x20, behind head: 3x20, to the side: 3x15.
COC#1.5: 2x8, COC#2: 2x8.
Close grip bench: 5x10.
DO bending (felt good).
DB press: 3x12.
Tricep push-down: 3x12.
Blob trainer: 3x15 sec & 3x1.
Pin-hammer curl: 8, 8, 6.

Friday 14/2/20

My right radial bone hurts. Some shoulder WU.
Bench - 4x10
COC#1.5 - 2x8
COC#2 - 30 mm block - 2x8
G5 - 30 mm block - 1x1
COC#3.5 175# cheat close - better than expected, crush might be in the 160's again. Need to try some heavier closes and attempts now and then. I'm terrified I lose gripper strength, really don't want that, have worked way too hard for it to disappear on me.
Tricep push down - 5x15
Blob trainer - 3x15 seconds.

Everything hurt but tricep push downs. So I cut the workout short because of that, don't want an injury.

Saturday 15/2/20

Grippers 30 mm block L&R
#88 - 2x8
#98 - 2x8

Grippers 30 mm block RH
GBI G5 - 1x2

175# - one cheat close

Sunday 16/2/20

Grippers 30 mm block L&R
#88 - 2x8
#98 - 2x8

Grippers 30 mm block RH
GBI G5 - 1x3

179# - one cheat close

Reverse bending.

Monday 17/2/20

Shoulder and upper back mobility work

Grippers 30 mm block L&R
#88 - 2x8
#98 - 2x8

Grippers 30 mm block RH
GBI G5 - 1x3 (missed 4th with 1 mm).
Elite spring 162~ felt easy but still couldn't close it, set is way off. Going to do BTR work when I ramp up on grippers again.

Bench press
DO Bending
DB Rows
Lat pull-down
Tricep push down.

Wednesday 19/2/20

Band pull apart
to the side: 3x20
to chest: 3x15
behind head: 3x15
And some other exercises, don't know what they are called.

Sup/Pro superset
5x10 + one heavier set 1x5. Pronation felt really good for my radial bone, which is still hurting.

Bench: 3 sets
Deadlifts: 3 sets
Tricep push down: 4x10
Rev cable curl: 4x8

Inch DB cheat lifts
3x1

Some lifts with the blob trainer, think I will give up on block weights, don't have the genetics for it. My hands hates the shape of the blobs. There's absolutely no response there. I respond even slightly to stuff I'm not good at. Blob training, absolutely nothing, very strange.

Thursday 20/2/20

So I got the GHP grippers today after waiting for almost a month. Can't stress enough how much I hate the customs. (bad word filter)ing thieves.

So as every random gripper guy I had to try them. I have lost around 10 lbs of base strength and around 20 lbs top strength (to bottom) on gripper in a little more than a month I would say.

Did some WU with the vulcan and wrist levering, also did 4 sets of good mornings. Then grippers right hand:

GHP8 167# - two attempts and cheat closed, not near closing it with one hand.
GHP7 unrated - one close, felt easy.
COC#3 156# - one close felt about the same as the GHP7.
GHP7 again - fairly easy.
COC#3 153# - one close, felt easier than the GHP7.
Then I tried with the 1.5" GHP block
GHP7 - much closer than I thought I would be, only 1 mm off. Then tried one more time and couldn't get past the sweep that time.
Then I did one more attempt/cheat close with the GHP8 167#.

Then DO bending. Will update the bending log with that.

After I did some more wrist levering in all directions.

Grippers actually went better than I thought it would. It's mostly because my setting is too weak that I have lost. Need to do more sets with the vulcan. Didn't expect to almost close the GHP7, this one has a 77 mm spread so it's in the hard side of the spectrum. A month ago I would have closed it easily. Now my hands and arms are really destroyed.