Tendonitis Log

Fist of Fury

Strong work with the SB holds! Coc#4 is definitely possible 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Strong work with the SB holds! Coc#4 is definitely possible 

It feels possible now since I'm making improvement with the leg crush set. Before that it felt impossible :D 

Another interesting thing is that I can't close my lightest #3 anymore. Training silver bullet and setting with legs completely (bad word filter)s up my regular technique :D But it's okay since I'm not going to train grippers for max close anymore.

6 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

It feels possible now since I'm making improvement with the leg crush set. Before that it felt impossible :D 

Another interesting thing is that I can't close my lightest #3 anymore. Training silver bullet and setting with legs completely (bad word filter)s up my regular technique :D But it's okay since I'm not going to train grippers for max close anymore.

I also stopped doing big gripper closes. SB is in most grip comps so I rather train for that instead. Also closing big grippers really hurts my knuckles because of the pain I get from DO bending but SB seems to be completely fine.

Good luck with the training 💪

1 minute ago, bruce1337 said:

I also stopped doing big gripper closes. SB is in most grip comps so I rather train for that instead. Also closing big grippers really hurts my knuckles because of the pain I get from DO bending but SB seems to be completely fine.

Good luck with the training 💪

Yes grippers can give some knuckle pain. It becomes more of a problem the further you close your hand. Problem is most prominent with BTR training becuase of that. Takes time to get adapted to. Best is to train BTR with very light grippers (and not overcrush them) until the knuckles get used to the stress. Then normal range will not hurt anymore. I had the same problem when I started grippers.

You make a good point about the btr grippers. I really noticed the knuckle pains after I started btr training but I also started bending at the same time and just associated the pain with the bending. Never thought about how btr affected my ROM and stressed the knuckles.

1 hour ago, bruce1337 said:

You make a good point about the btr grippers. I really noticed the knuckle pains after I started btr training but I also started bending at the same time and just associated the pain with the bending. Never thought about how btr affected my ROM and stressed the knuckles.

Yes you definitely got it from grippers, not bending. It's very common to get this issue, some people have been injured pretty badly this way I believe. It can take a long time to heal, I had problems for over six months with my knuckle. Couldn't even shift gears when driving without feeling pain.

The reason for these problems are that most people try too heavy before they are ready, they try to run before they can walk so to speak.

Jedd Johnson's "Cadance Based Training" is a good training program for grippers where BTR is included but in a smart way, with much less resistance than whats normally recommended.
After I did that program I realized I didn't need to go heavy at all with the BTR stuff. Actually the best gains I've made was when doing BTR with much less resistance but for more TUT. Only a few sets are needed at the end of a workout.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:39 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Happy to hear the leg crush technique works! What's the biggest factor for me on the #4 is how deep I get it closed before starting to open up to set the bullet. If I can close it fully it makes a huge difference in time.

Gl on your next SB workout!

14 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Happy to hear the leg crush technique works! What's the biggest factor for me on the #4 is how deep I get it closed before starting to open up to set the bullet. If I can close it fully it makes a huge difference in time.

I think closing the gripper before you open it up was the biggest part of the technique that got me from doing 9s on a #2.5 to 9s on a #3 within some weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lennix said:

Yes that's the key factor when setting a gripper, regardless if it's for a SB hold or just for closing them. It's always better the better leverage you get on the handle.

Will try some holds later today. Don't think I will try the #4 though but baybe a do some practice with it. Should make it easier to set easier grippers by working with it.

Rotator cuff exercises.

Squats.

SB: 1 attempt with #4, not good, done better, RB330: 6 sec, 5 sec.

DO bending single horrido leather:
Rebar 8 mm biltema: 225 mm x 1, 250 mm x 1, 190 mm x 1.
8x178 mm CRS (red nail equivalent) x 1.
Rebar 8 mm byggmax: 205 mm x 1.

SB COC#3 158# - 38 sec, COC#3 153# - 23 sec.

2.5" wrist wrench -  a few lifts, this one is super slick and really hard. When I get a hold of a lathe I will do a proper one with knurling so I can train more consistently.

Pronation curls - 3 sets.

Close grip cable push down - 5 sets.

Felt kinda weak today, only thing that felt good was squats and tricep work.

Wrist Developer training today.

CROM spring:
Level 10 - 8x2
Level 13 - not much (done better)
Level 12 - half way
Level 11 - 2x2

Press, some tricep & biceps.

Braced bending - Rebar (byggmax) 8 mm:
175 mm  x 1
150 mm x 1
140 mm x 1
130 mm x 1

Will try 10 mm next time.

Some warmup sets for rotator cuffs, biceps and back. Then good mornings 3 sets supersetted with bending.

Ok, I will set a bold goal. Red nail should be bent reverse in singles before the month of august this year. I will try my best, I won't be disappointed if I fail but I will be very happy if I succeed. This will give me six months to train and I will try to find out a good training plan for it.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Slippery Pete said:

That would be epic! Good luck :)

Thanks (I need it) but it should be possible (at some point) if my thumb doesn't fall off :D 

What wraps will you use to attempt the feat? If its horrido leather I have no doubt you could do it in 6 months 💪 good luck

11 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

What wraps will you use to attempt the feat? If its horrido leather I have no doubt you could do it in 6 months 💪 good luck

I usually use the Horrido leather but I find the leather David sells now is also very good, it's thicker than the suede wraps he had previously and they get very hard with use. But Horrido leather is still a bit easier.

11 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I usually use the Horrido leather but I find the leather David sells now is also very good, it's thicker than the suede wraps he had previously and they get very hard with use. But Horrido leather is still a bit easier.

@David_wigren gave me some old David Horne suede when I first started bending. Its like 1.2mm thick and soft as hell. I may as well have used toilet paper 😂 because they got torn through pretty easily. But on the plus side once I made the switch to IMPs they were an UPGRADE, felt much better to bend in them.

I might buy some new suede from horne especially if im going to start horseshoe bending as well.

14 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

@David_wigren gave me some old David Horne suede when I first started bending. Its like 1.2mm thick and soft as hell. I may as well have used toilet paper 😂 because they got torn through pretty easily. But on the plus side once I made the switch to IMPs they were an UPGRADE, felt much better to bend in them.

I might buy some new suede from horne especially if im going to start horseshoe bending as well.

Yes that's the thickness they used to be. I always bend in those, the new ones is much easier. 4.6 vagnsbult at 140 mm feels harder in those thin suedes than 166 kg G5 bolt in the new leathers does.

Then IMP's then Horrido leather. Although I'm not 100% sure about the new leathers vs IMP's beacuse I haven't A/B-tested them yet. Need to order some new IMP's. New IMP's is always better for me, after a while they get more difficult when they get softer. I think the difference is quite significant actually.

Got old mans cramp in my right trapezius muscle for no reason about an hour after I woke up. Not a good start of the day.

Tried some reverse bending, managed to bend 8 mm rebars at 180 mm (biltema) in single leathers 6 cm from the ends. Got it past 50 degrees. Felt less painful than when I did it last time so I decided to try another one but only got the initial kink on that one to 20 degrees.

Then I did WD2 level 6, 20 reps each side.

Was going to do squats but I will do that tomorrow instead and will do some braced bending as well then.

I have ordered some Grade 12.9 bolts at 6x150 mm which I'm going to try to train strict reverse bending with. Will order some 8.8 bolts as well to train DU with soon.

• Like 1

Woke up with pain in my right elbow. Actually the first time I get any elbow pain from reverse bending. Nothing serious i think, doesn't hurt that much.

Did some DO bending at the gym. Did some 8 mm rebars, worked myself up to 275 mm gave it a long good hit, increased the pressure gradually up to around 95% of my max. Got no movement and decided to quit there so I wouldn't tear something. You can quite easily do that when bending bars this long DO.

After that I went back to 180 mm and these bars feels so tiny now. I'm 100% confident that training with longer bars will improve my kink on shorter bars down to 7". It's so much easier to get in a good position now when I've trained with longer bars for a few months.

Also from now on I will only kink the long bars and not crush them down, that's pointless, I will leave them open for snapping instead.

Did squats and some seated cable rows as well.

• Like 1

I will have to also try the rebar at long lengths DO to see if it helps with my shorter steel bending. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

I will have to also try the rebar at long lengths DO to see if it helps with my shorter steel bending. 

Do it but be careful and make sure you warmup properly before.

Got some 8.8 bolts and some hex and square steel today.

M8 x 150 mm 8.8 bolts was easy to bend braced. Gives me some hope, I think I'll be able to train with them DO. Tried 8 mm hex at 160 mm, wanted to test them and see how it compares to the bolts. I think these are fairly easy 8.8 bolts. They feel about the same as the EN3B CRS I've bent before. So between 210-240 kg I would guess, hard to say exactly because I only slept for 4 hours and I was tired, did these without any warmup.

Was shocked how hard the hex steel was, couldn't budge it at all. So I will wait with 10 mm rebar until I can bend these.

Also got some 6 mm square to train reverse with, I have no idea of the difficulty of it but I can always cut it down shorter if it's too easy. I have a feeling it will be hard, based on how hard the 8 mm hex was. It's probably good quality steel.

• Like 1

Only the shorter 8.8 bolts I bought was of the easier kind. 180 & 200 mm was much harder. Probably closer to 300 kg if not over that. Can't get any kink on them braced, bar starts to flex a little bit but springs back before I can put anymore pressure on it.

Managed to kink them both DO to around 2 degrees in doubles. So I'm still stronger in that technique if I use the same wrapping. However I will stay away from hard isometrics like this for DO because my right arm doesn't like it.

The shorter 160 mm bolt is much easier, a little harder than a red nail I would say. Might be possible to reverse bend in the future.

• Like 1