Tendonitis Log

Fist of Fury

18-10-19 to 19-05-07

https://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/topic/49305-another-rolling-thunder-log/&

19-05-13 to 19-05-16

Squats, chest training and arm training, dumbbell rows and lat pull-downs, back extensions.

Today more dumbbell rows.

40 kg 2x5
50 kg 2x5
60 kg 1x5
65 kg 1x3
73 kg 1x3
40 kg 1x10

Inch Trainer
64 kg, 3 lifts with left hand and a half lift with right hand, then two attempt RH, got some air.

Then a few set of rows with FGX with 40 kg.

Lat Pull-Down
5x10

Triset for arms

Triceps
2H Rev grip pull-down: 8, 8, 8.
2H Push-down: 10, 10, 10.
Sling pull-down: 8, 8, 8.

Biceps
2H wide grip cable curl: 10, 10, 10.
2H narrow grip cable curl: 6, 6, 6.
Sling cable curl: 8, 8, 8.

I've read the last two pages of the log, and I don't know if you're still feeling down about the gripper training, but I've found that getting my thick bar and pinch strength up leads to bigger crushing strength too. I think that you should completely quit gripper training for some time, since it's making you feel miserable. You're not a pro athlete, and you don't make your living from your performance, so why force it? Find your passion in some other lifts, and then when that passion goes away, move to something else. I didn't train my grippers for some time because of some elbow problems, and when I came back for it two days ago I managed to close my #2.5 with my left hand, which I couldn't do, and broke my SB records by 4 and 3 seconds, without a single gripper workout. I've been doing a lot of pinching and thick bar, at least for my standards. 

1 minute ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

I've read the last two pages of the log, and I don't know if you're still feeling down about the gripper training, but I've found that getting my thick bar and pinch strength up leads to bigger crushing strength too. I think that you should completely quit gripper training for some time, since it's making you feel miserable. You're not a pro athlete, and you don't make your living from your performance, so why force it? Find your passion in some other lifts, and then when that passion goes away, move to something else. I didn't train my grippers for some time because of some elbow problems, and when I came back for it two days ago I managed to close my #2.5 with my left hand, which I couldn't do, and broke my SB records by 4 and 3 seconds, without a single gripper workout. I've been doing a lot of pinching and thick bar, at least for my standards. 

Doesn't matter for me. If I don't enjoy doing something I'm not going to continue doing it. I enjoy gripper training sometimes but not to the extent that I have to do it to progress. I know that I can progress if I want to do it, but I don't want to spend that amount of time on it.

10 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Doesn't matter for me. If I don't enjoy doing something I'm not going to continue doing it. I enjoy gripper training sometimes but not to the extent that I have to do it to progress. I know that I can progress if I want to do it, but I don't want to spend that amount of time on it.

I understand you 100%, that's how I stopped powerlifting, I just didn't care about doing it anymore and dealing with the injuries and the food etc. But I found a different activity that I enjoy, and came back to it later. Wish you all the best in your further training, and keep it fun :D 

• Thanks 1

Monday 20/5/19

Seated dumbbell press - 30 kg 2x7
Close grip bench - one hard single
Rolling Thunder Thumbless hold - 5x10 seconds
Rolling Thunder Pull-Ups - 3x3

Tuesday 21/5/19

Bicep Triset
1H Cable Curl on vertical bench with 50 mm grip: 8, 8, 7.
1H Rev Cable Curl on vertical bench with 50 mm grip: 6, 5, 5.
2H Cable Curl with Rope: 10, 10, 10.

🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋

Tricep Triset
2H Cable Push-Down narrow grip with 50 mm grip: 8, 8, 8.
2H Cable Push-Down wide grip with 50 mm grip: 10, 10, 6.
2H Cable Pull-Down with Rope: 8, 6, 5.

🍋🍋🍋

Rolling Thunder Thumbless hold - 5x10 seconds
Dumbbell high pull with FGX - 40 kg for a few reps
Dumbbell hammer curl with 50 mm grip - 40 kg 3x3
Goblet Squat - 40 kg 20 reps

Was tired and went home after that, will do back squats on Thursday instead.

Wednesday 22/5/19

Vulcan CCS Orange Spring - 8x8 RH & 3x3 LH
Inch Trainer - 64 kg 3 lifts LH & 1 attempt RH then two lifts with tilt with RH
Rolling Thunder Thumbless Hold - 5x10 seconds

Thursday 23/5/19

Vulcan CCS Orange Spring - 8x8 RH
Warmup with leg press and KB swings.
Dumbbell Row - 55 kg
Trap Bar DL - 200 kg
T-Bar Row - 100 kg
Dumbbell Curl on Vertical Bench - 15 kg 3 sets
2H FP with Dumbbell - 30 kg - 3 sets
Dips - 12 reps
Dumbbell Row with FGX - 50 kg 1 set
Dumbbell Clean - 50 kg

Friday 24/5/19

Rolling Thunder - 3x10 left hand

Saturday 25/5/19

IM Blockbuster - 30 kg L & R

Sunday 26/5/19

Bending - 6 mm x 6" CRS 122 kg reversed and leg crushed, 6 mm x 5.5" 74 kg @ 6"  leg crushed only with one layer of suede, SS 6 mm x 7" reversed and leg crushed, Grade 5 bolt 166 kg, reverse, didn't measure, looked like around 20 degrees, a little bit better than last time I tried. 

Monday 27/5/19

Morning:
RBAF 6-6 hard spring - 5-7 second squeeze slightly beyond the range.
Elite Spring set to 150'ish - one close and one miss.

Evening:
Bicep Superset
1H Cable Curl with sling
1H DB Curl with back against wall
L: 10, 10, 10/6, 5, 4.
R: 10, 10, 10/6, 5, 6.
🍋🍋🍋🍋

Triceps
2H Cable Pull with sling: 1 set, didn't feel it so I quit.

COC#3.5 - one attempt, not good.

DODL - 3 explosive singles and 1 slow lift with 5 second paus below knees.

Inch Trainer clean attempt - 48 kg, didn't have strength to turn it today, I've done it before tho. I think my CNS was spent from speed DL's.

COC#2 Carl XVI Gustaf crush - 40 seconds.

Wasn't supposed to train DL's anymore because I hate it but I got a membership at a real PL gym. I'm only going to be able to train there once a week because of the gas prices. So I'm thinking of benching and squatting once per week and deadlifting every other week. I will only do assistance work for the rest of the time when I train at home and some grip work when I feel like it.

Some gripper closes from earlier this year on video below.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Griparn said:

Strong closes! How close are you on an average #3 CCS or GHP 7?

I'm bad at CCS mainly because I don't train it and I don't train it because my right hand is not shaped for it. Left hand is weaker.

Thursday 30/5/19

Rolling Thunder Thumbless - 74 kg left hand
Elite spring +150 - 2 closes and 1 miss right hand
COC#2 speed close - 3x3
Inch Trainer 64 kg - 3 lifts LH & 1x1, 1x2 tilted with RH
Bending SS 6 mm x 7" reverse and leg crushed

Saturday 1/6/19

Goblet squat
Elite spring +150 - one close, +153 - one close & two misses, all right handed
COC#2 speed close 20 mm 3x3 right hand
COC#2.5 - 20 mm 3x3 left hand
GM 20 mm - one close left hand

Wanted to train more but I only got 4-5 hours of sleep so I was very tired unfortunately

Sunday 2/6/19

Dynamometer - 109.7 kg.

Monday 3/6/19

Warmup with: Leg press, Face Pull, Zottman Curl and seated DB press.
Narrow Bench - a few reps and sets with 90 kg and one amrap set with 70 kg.
Seal Row - 70 kg 3x5 (first time I tried it).
Trap Bar DL - 200 kg.
DO Axle DL - 155 kg with tight spin-lock collars, got it all the way up but couldn't hold it at lock-out. Tried one more time immediately and got it to knee height. Then rested and tried again, to knees again. Then tried without collars (150 kg) and got it all the way up but couldn't hold it.
Reverse Hyper another first timer - one set. OMFG no wonder I suck at deadlifting.
DB Row - 53 kg x 5, 65 kg x 5, 70 kg 3x5.
DB curl on vertical bench - 18.5 kg - 3 reps, biceps were fried after rows.

• Like 1

Thursday 6/6/19

Arms still sore from Mondays workout, rows and curls supersetet really killed them. Did some military press, felt okay, tried some grippers had no power at all. Did one one SS bar 6 mm x 6", reversed and leg crushed.

Saturday 8/6/19

Rolling Thunder thumbless - 78.50 kg attempt with LH. Was going for 75 kg, loaded too much by mistake, got some air.
COC#2.5 MMS RH: 15, 12, 10.

Monday 10/6/19

Warmup with leg press standing version, zottman curl, face-pulls, chest machine, kettlebell swings and bands.
Close grip bench - 92.5 kg five sets with a few reps and one amrap with 72.5 kg.
Seal row - 65 kg 3x5 ( more controlled reps than last time)
DO DL - paused lifts with 140 & 150 kg and one single with 160 kg. Then 5 reps with 150 kg. This felt easy, so I'm pleased with that.
Steel bars - 6 mm x 6" SS reversed and leg crushed. 8 mm x 5.5" 137 kg @ 6" tried to reverse it, got some movement, then tried to leg crush it. Might as well put my fingers on the railroad track and wait for a freight train to pass.
Rolling Thunder old style handle - up to 80 kg on the short loading-pin with each hand.
Double stamped #3 (145-148) - 13 singles with right hand.
Old style Eleiko plates (a bit thicker than the new comp plates) 2x15 kg pinch, lifted to lock-out then swapped hands as many times I could, three times.
Reverse Hyper - 3 sets.
Seated DB curl - to 23.5 kg for a few reps.
1H Barbell curl - 3 sets to failure with each hand.

Wednesday 12/6/19

Really wanted to train today but my work schedule doesn't really allow that right now. Luckily it will get better from next week. Managed to do some gripper work, half asleep.

T-Rex spring - 135~ 5x3 RH
Vulcan Orange Spring CCS - 3x3 LH
GM 145 - 1x1 L & R
Rubber band extensions

Friday 14/6/19

T-rex spring 135~ 3x3 L&R
T-rex spring 150~ 3x1 RH
Cable Bicep curl with sling - 4 sets
Inch Trainer strict - 64 kg one attempt each hand, lifted with RH and missed with LH (strange)
Inch Trainer - 73 kg a few lifts and a few misses with each hand.

Then I lost interest and went home. The more I train grip the more convinced I am that gripper work has a lot more carry-over to thickbar than vice versa.

Saturday 15/6/19

Tried some hits on the WD2, seem to be stuck at level 10, I can almost get it but not quite. This needs more specialization if I want to get better. I think I'm only at around 80% of the level I had when I specialized on bending.

Did some gripper work after that with RH. T-rex sping 130~ 5x3 then T-rex sping 150~ one attempt, these handles has no knurling so I slipped with the pinky finger. 

I'm thinking of ordering a set of tettings, make them adjustable and sand down the handles for high volume work, maybe, depends if I feel motivated to train two times per day or not.

I don't like the more narrow spread the Silvis grippers have.

Monday 17/6/19

WU with facepull, bands and DB curls.
T-Rex spring 152~ 4x1 RH & 2 closes and 1 miss LH.
T-Rex spring 135~ 5x3 LH & 8x3 RH.
Vulcan "Hydraulic" close with 50 mm set - lvl 12 2x10 seconds.
Seated OHP - 5/3/1.
Lat Pull-down - 3 sets with good contact.
Sandbag squat - 3x10 I will do these instead of goblet squats with DB. They are more ergonomic and much safer, I also like how they feel. Need to work much harder to maintain good form. Got a really good deal on this bag, Rogue XL (100 kg) for two COC grippers.

Thursday 20/6/19

Made some attempts with the Inch trainer but I was sick here without knowing, felt weak. Had barely slept since Monday but it was because I had something in my system.

Monday 24/6/19

Vulcan Orange spring - 5x5

Tuesday 25/6/19

First night of decent sleep in over a week. Felt like a zombie for 3-4 days and was seriously considering going to the hospital. (Before I realized I had the flu).
Close grip bench - 2 sets
Inch Trainer 73.5 kg - RH: 1, 1, 3 / LH: 1, 2, 1. Can't quite get the technique right with my left hand, I think it's because the hypothenar muscle is smaller and I'm not able to get as good of a brace with it. So I used a normal grip and assisted it to lock-out and held it for as long as I could instead.
Grippers SM 115-118 - 5x3 speed closes
Sandbag squat - 1 set

Friday 28/6/19

DODL 3 singles with 5 second paus at knees.

Saturday 29/6/19

SM spring 120~ 3x3, 3x3, 3x3, 3x3.
Elite spring 140~ 5x1, 5x1, 5x1, 5x1.
Did this in 4 sessions during the whole day, only got 14 singles with LH.
1H Euro (42 mm) up to one max attempt, did a few negatives.

Sunday 30/6/19

Sandbag squats - 2 sets.
Inch Trainer & Inch DB attempts - got the back globe very sligthly off the ground. Tried to compare the two and the trainer is a little bit easier, I think it's because it's not as dense.
Vulcan Orange spring 20 mm block - 250 reps.
Rolling Thunder pull-ups - 6 reps on first set, then another set, didn't count.

Monday 1/7/19

Morning
Vulcan Orange spring 20 mm block - 250 reps
Vulcan Lvl 9 20 mm block - 3x5

Evening
Vulcan Orange spring 20 mm block - 150 reps
Vulcan Lvl 9 20 mm block - 30 reps RH & 35 reps LH
Inch Db - 3 attempts
Inch trainer - 60 kg 5 reps L&R
Square Rolling handle - 43.6 kg 2x20 sec LH / 20 sec & 15 sec RH
IM Blockbuster - 24.2 kg 2x15 sec, 26.6 kg 1x5 sec, 30.6 kg 1 rep RH, half rep LH

Tuesday 2/7/19

Morning
Vulcan orange spring 20 mm block - 250 reps
Vulcan Lvl 9 20 mm block - 3x5

Evening
Vulcan orange spring 20 mm block - 150 reps
Vulcan Lvl 9 20 mm block - 35 reps L&R
Vulcan Lvl 11 20 mm block - 19 reps RH & 20 reps LH
Some bicep curls armwrestling style - a few sets
Sledge levering - 3 sets sup/Pro and one hold Uln/Rad