Tendonitis Log

Fist of Fury

Wed 8/8/18

Grippers

RBAF 50 mm set for 1.5"
9-9 - 8 singles with 7 second hold

Isometric Hold
Hybrid Elite 165# 3x8 seconds

Contrast bath, rubber band extensions & stretching.

Thu 9/8/18

Bench press

Sat 11/8/18

Dexterity balls

Mon 13/8/18

Grippers

1.5" Block Set
GHP 131# - 3x1
GHP 137# - 1x1 (didn't quite get it with LH)

RBAF 50 mm set for 1.5"
9-10 - 3x3, not a single close here, all cheated.

1.5" Block Set Speed Closes
GHP 115# - 5x3

Contrast bath, rubber band extensions & stretching.

Not quite sure if it's good or bad that I struggle on Mondays. I can usually close 10-10 with the RBAF but all my power is gone now, might be good or it might be bad. Time will tell.

I'm going to do 5/3/1 for squats for three weeks, using second set last 5x5. After that I plan on starting another training routine for both PL and Grip. I will look like this:

Day 1

• Grippers
  • Bench Press
  • Squat
  • 2HP
  • 1HP

Day 2

• Press
  • Deadlift
  • Biceps

Day 3

• Grippers
  • Bench Press
  • Squat
  • 1HP

Day 4

• Press
  • Deadlift
  • Reverse Curl
  • Pull-Ups

I'm going to adjust the volume so I can handle it. Not going to quit like last time. I will just lower the volume if I need to and I will do a deload every fifth week. Hopefully I can make very small gains consistently. I feel that 5/3/1 (in any version) is either too easy, or too hard for me to make good gains with.

Mon 13/8/18

Evening
Squat & Bench

Tue 14/8/18

Deadlifts, easy weight but it felt hard, hamstrings were sore from squats. Did some one handed deadlifts, also felt hard. I will try to ease in to this slowly before I start the new training routine.

Then I did some reverse bending. Tried IMP's with leverage for the first time since March 2017 (when I tried bending for the first time). Tried two pieces of stainless steel at 6 mm x 6". First bend to 7.8 degrees, it was waaaaaay of center. Marked the next one with a pen and got it to 34 degrees.

Thu 16/8/18

Grippers

RBAF 50 mm set for 1.5"
3-3 - 8 singles with 8 second hold. Really struggling with RH at the moment. 

Silver Bullet 38 mm Block Set
COC#3 142# - 2x8 seconds RH & 3 and 5 seconds LH.

Coin Hold 38 mm Block Set
COC#2.5 123# - 2x8 seconds

Rubber band extensions & contrast bath

Evening

Bench Press & Squat

1HP: Blockbuster Pinch, up to 32 kg with RH and 28.5 kg with LH then 3x8 seconds with 26.5 kg.

2HP: Silarukov 80 mm block - 2 attempts on 71.55 kg, only got it half way up. Kind of disappointing. I should be able to lift this weight. This block is much easier than the Blockbuster, it has sharper edges.

Bench and squat felt good today. Both are improving. I just need to start doing deadlifts again. I think +500 kg total should be possible for me within a year. Not sure if I should set a goal or not. Unfortunately I have not had money over to buy a new bar yet, so I might have to train with mixed grip for a while.

Fri 17/8/18

Dexterity balls

Sat 18/8/18

Rubber band extensions & contrast bath

Mon 20/8/18

Grippers

RBAF 50 mm set for 1.5"
10-10 - 2x2 with LH and 2x2 cheat close with RH. Helt for around 8 seconds on last rep with each hand.

38 mm Block Set
GHP 137# - RH: 1, 1.
GHP 137# - LH: 1, 1 cheat close.

GHP 131# - RH: 2.
GHP 131# - LH: 2 cheat close.

38 mm Block Set Speed Close
GHP 115# - 5x3

Rubber band extensions, then tried to do a contrast bath but didn't get enough heat. I can definitely feel that now. These makes a huge difference. Will try to get it done tonight instead.

When I first started this training cycle 7 weeks ago my left hand felt like it was going to break, I had so much pain and my right hand felt really strong. Now my left hand feels great and a lot stronger but my right hand is really weak instead. It's weird how it works since my left hand has pretty much been in a coma since thick bar training in January.

Bench press and squats later. I might have to stop with reverse bending, I've noticed that close grip bench press and reverse bending are enemies. Or maybe there's a solution to it.

Wed 22/8/18

Trained one day earlier because I wanted to make more time for the workout tomorrow.

Grippers

RBAF 50 mm set for 1.5"
3-3 - 8 singles with 9 second hold.

Isometric Crush
GHP 162# 38 mm set 1x1
GHP 162# MMS 2x1

Contrast bath & rubber band extensions.

10 min bycycle cardio, low/medium intensity.

Thu 23/8/18

1H Plate Pinch

2x15 kg 1x2. This was a PR but I had more reps in me, so I decided to try 2x20 just to see if I could get any air under them.
2x20 kg - stuck on the ground, then did a few drags.

2H Plate Pinch

2x15 kg supported on pipe

50 kg 1x2 with 5 sec hold on each rep
60 kg 1x2 with 5 sec hold on each rep.
70 kg - one attempt, no movement.

Sledge Coin Deadlift
FRONT:10# with index @ 45 cm 1x1
FRONT:10# with index @ 50 cm, no lift

BACK:10# with pinky @ 55 cm 2x1

FRONT NEGATIVE:10# with index @ 55 cm 1x2

Fri 24/8/18 (BW:102.9 kg)

Silarukov Dynamometer

LEFT HAND

83.1 kg
87.1 kg
87.1 kg
After squats
84.7 kg
With chalk
90.8 kg
100 kg
 81.4 kg (felt this one slip a lot)

RIGHT HAND

94.7 kg
105.7 kg
98.7 kg
After squats
107.2 kg
With chalk
91.5 kg (placed it wrong in the hand)
98.8 kg (placed this wrong as well, what an idiot I am, would probably have been a PR)
107.8 kg

Reverse Curl
3x15

Neutral Grip Pull-Up
5x3

Sat 25/8/18

Dexterity balls & contrast bath.

Mon 27/8/18

Grippers

Terrible session, only got 6 hours of sleep, shouldn't have bothered. I will rest for a few weeks and then try KTA again but I will modify the program and do it my own way. If that doesn't lead to MM1 certification then I'm going to quit grippers.

6 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Have you tried pure heavy attempts for a while? That's basically what I've been doing since I started.. Granted I have stagnated now but I made good gains just squeezing my goal gripper. I know you don't seem to like that method, but I don't like reps and I'll give the rrbt a try now :D

That's what KTA is...

3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

I see, I didn't know.

Still, that seems like the right choice for you atm..

Right choice for me is probably to cut my hands off and retire :D

Mon 27/818

In rage I decided to train my grip one more time today...

Grippers
GHP 146# closed LH, not closed RH.
COC 148# missed three times with RH, closed one time LH.
LT#3 155# missed one time LH.
LT#3 154# closed two times RH.
These were all MMS:

Then tried TNS:
GHP 146# took it down to around 10 mm with each hand then cheat closed it for three reps.

Then tried CCS:
GHP 146# didn't get anywhere, hands felt good but CCS just felt awkward.

Then TNS again:
GHP 125# barely closed with each hand, was tired here, did this during bench press.

Then tried Rolling Thunder during squats:
Attempted 80.5 kg with LH and 78 kg with RH. Not quite full lift but very close.

Also, tried the Inch Trainer at 62 kg, one lift each hand but it was hard.

I gave this all the swearing words I had. Just couldn't close the COC#3 with RH. I do think my low level is slowly increasing though but I need at least 6-8 lbs more in this state.

Good thing is that thick bar strength seems to stay with me, which it has never done in the past. Maybe it's the pinch training I've been doing that keeps it maintained.

Tue 28/8/18

EZ Reverse Curl - 2x15

EZ Curl - 4x10

1H Oly Barbell Curl - 2x2

Seated Press - 3 sets

GHP 43# 20 mm block - 3x20 as fast as possible

10# Sledge levering - A few sets, same as last time + a few sets of holds

Deadlift - A few sets of technique training

2 km cycling up hill.

Contrast bath & dexterity balls

Wed 29/8/18

2 km walking. First time in years I was able to take a walk without any type of stress. It felt great.

Thu 30/8/18

Decided to only train my grip today, will do bench and squats tomorrow instead.

Grippers

TNS COC 102#
29 reps in 4 minutes, with RH only.

COC 123# 20 mm Block Set
1# - 6 reps LH & 8 reps RH.
2# - 7 reps LH & 5 reps RH.

Heavy Attempts
GHP 150# - one attempt each hand, not too far off. Plus 2 cheat reps RH & 4 cheat reps LH.

Vulcan Level 15
1# - Missed with a hair with LH & Closed with RH (PR).
2# - Missed with both, far off, failed to set it properly.

COC 102# 20 mm Block Set
17 reps + 3 cheat reps LH & 19 reps + 3 cheat reps RH.

Rubber band extension
Yellow - 15 reps.

Silver Bullet COC#3.5
1# - 5 sec RH & 3 sec LH.
2# - 10 sec RH & 0 sec LH.

Silver Bullet COC#2.5 with 5 kg
1x10 sec each hand.

IM Blockbuster
31 kg and 32.5 kg with RH & 26 kg with LH.
26 kg no re-chalking
LH: 8s, 8s, 6s.
RH: 8s, 8s, 4s.

Fri 31/8/18

Grippers

A bunch of TNS and CCS attempts, about 4-5 mm away on the GHP7 146# on one of the attempts, with CCS. Then did a few sets of speed closes with a #2, with CCS. After that I did bench press. Then...

1H Plate Pinch
2x15 kg - 3 reps with each hand (PR)
Supported on pipe
34.5 kg - no lift, just a little bit of air with LH.

2x10 kg + 6 kg - 2x20 seconds.

Biceps
A bunch of strict curls with dumbbell, strict with back against the wall.

Was going to do squats but for some reason some muscles in my back was really tight, for no apparent reason. So I skipped it, don't want to risk getting an injury. Did some dumbbell rows with light weight instead.

Sun 2/9/18

Did some CCS and 20 mm block practice with the Vulcan.

My evaluation of the last 8 weeks of training is that my sweep strength has improved a lot but the final part of the crush has not improved. It might just be that I have trained so hard with the BTR gripper and need more rest.

Slow squeezes with the Vulcan, Silver Bullet and Isometric Crushes seem to have worked pretty good though, the sweep is not a problem for me right now, which it has always been before. So I will keep these exercises in my routine.

My left hand needs a bigger thumb pad, I need to up my pinch strength. The CCS with Vulcan starts to fail at around level 13, handle starts to slip, no chance when that happen. Need to keep pinching hard and get stronger and bigger thumb pads.

As for the bench press I never did the program, I did something else I came up with myself and it actually works so good that I will not change it. I have gained around 10 kg in 8 weeks and probably 20-30 kg since I started earlier this year. I'm probably somewhere around 120-130 kg right now. Not going to try since I don't have anyone who can spot me. I need to buy some more stuff for my rack for safety. The squat safety bars are too long and I can't use them since I only do narrow grip bench with almost no arch at all.

Biceps need to get stronger, especially the left. I feel it can be dangerous to have a really weak bicep when you train narrow grip bench press. So I will focus more on bicep training from this point.

Mon 3/9/18

Deload week, bench and squats and supination/pronation with sledge hammer.

Tue 4/9/18

Biceps
Multiple sets with dumbbells and EZ bar.

Blockbuster Pinch
Up to one attempt with 33.30 kg with RH, almost to lock-out. Attempt on 29.50 kg with LH, almost to lock-out. Then a few negatives with 33.30 kg with each hand.

26 kg - LH: 3x10 seconds.
26 kg - RH: 3x15 seconds.

All with world of grip loading-pin.

Wed 5/9/18

DO Deadlift

Up to easy 170 kg. Probably had 5-10 kg more in me. Very happy with this since I have not trained deadlifts for over a year. Seems like squats and possibly even bench press has helped me a lot here.

This also made me realize that I don't have to train deadlifts all that much, so I will probably only do them once a week instead of two. I will start on a very easy weight and add reps and slowly add weight. If everything goes as according to the plan I should be able to do 200 kg DOH after a year of training. I think the grip will be the biggest challenge for this. I might have to buy a real bar for it. This one is 32 mm and it doesn't flex anything with these weights.

Fri 7/9/18

Deload week for bench and squats.

Rolling Thunder

Up to 82.65 kg with LH (PR)
Then 78.85 kg with each hand.

Pinch and wide set gripper work, plus DOHDL seems to bring my RT numbers up. So I will continue not to train it and only test it sometimes. Heavy lifts is the only thing that seems to work for me with thick bar. Quite the opposite from grippers and pinch actually.

High reps on thick bar only wear my arms out and makes them totally useless for months.

Mon 10/9/18

I have started to sleep poorly again after having a good period of sleep during the summer, which is hilarious considering how hot it was. It's like I end up in a vicious cycle as soon as a sleep bad for like two nights in a row. Very easy to fall in to and very hard to get out of.

Grippers

WU with RBAF with TNS to 8-8. Then MMS TSG to primer with each hand, LT#3 155# and COC#3 153# miles away, CNS was dead.

RBAF TNS
8-8: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3 (5 sec hold on last rep of each set)

Vulcan Hydrualic CCS
Lvl 9 - 3x10 seconds

2H Plate Pinch

4x10 kg + 10 kg: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3 (5 sec hold on last rep of each set)

1 minute of rest between all sets. 3 minutes of rest between exercises.

Then tried 1HP but it was too hard, will attempt it tomorrow and see if it feels better. Skipped bench and squats, will try tomorrow if I can get some sleep.

I've decided to quit gripper training. It's simply not fun anymore, when you go backwards in progression it's probably time to do something else. I will not miss gripper training because it makes no sense to me. All other training makes sense but not grippers. So it's time to move on.

I will take a hiatus from logging here but I will not quit training. I might start logging again sometime in the future if I get more motivation to train grip again.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

I've decided to quit gripper training. It's simply not fun anymore, when you go backwards in progression it's probably time to do something else. I will not miss gripper training because it makes no sense to me. All other training makes sense but not grippers. So it's time to move on.

I will take a hiatus from logging here but I will not quit training. I might start logging again sometime in the future if I get more motivation to train grip again.

Sorry to hear this buddy. Maybe some time away will recharge the batteries and remotivate you. What was your goal with grippers? We’re you trying to cert the #3 or go after the MM ladder? 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Sorry to hear this buddy. Maybe some time away will recharge the batteries and remotivate you. What was your goal with grippers? We’re you trying to cert the #3 or go after the MM ladder? 

Thanks, never really had any goals when I started but I wanted to climb the MM-ladder. When I was at my strongest about one year ago it felt like I would get MM1 and also MM2 easily then hell started with bad sleep, It's not possible in the state I'm in now. Hands feel fine but CNS is never 100%, very hard to progress when you don't get any consistency. I also lose strength and technique very quickly (this goes for everything not just grippers), so I can't rest for too long between sessions.

I don't think this will be the last time I touch a gripper, I'm keeping some grippers for the future if I find motivation again as I said. Right now I think I'm going to try sign up at a weightlifting club to learn how to do proper cleans and front squats. Which I really want to learn. Time for me to do something else.

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of a mental breakdown I feel more motivated again. Not for grippers really but for thick bar and pinch at least. 

I will update weekly here and not with much details since I'm only going to train by feel each session and not plan anything ahead.

This past week results:

DO Axle DL: 140 kg (barely).

Rolling Thunder: 84 kg.

Rolling Thunder Thumbless: 73 kg.

Square Rolling Handle DL: 55 kg (not max).

Wrist Wrench: 39.5 kg.

Blockbuster Pinch: 33 kg.

RB 50 mm Pinch Block: 31 kg.

Silver Bullet: COC#3.5 175 lbs - 16 seconds with each hand.

Gripper Close: 146 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week or so I have trained a bit less because I got severe pain in my right ring finger. I will try to train every other day from now. It already feels a little bit better. I also got some nasty skin tears from Silver Bullet holds.

What I have done since last update:

DOH Axle DL: 130 kg.
Gripper Close: 149 lbs (immediately after axle).
Rolling Thunder: 78.8 kg.
Inch Trainer: 62 kg and some timed holds with 58 kg (sets of 10 seconds).
Silver Bullet: COC#3.5 175 lbs 12 seconds. And also attempted RB330, was close to setting the bullet, so this will be a new goal.
Gripper Attempt: FBBC 158 lbs missed with a hair, probably my second strongest effort with grippers so far.
A bunch of different biceps exercises and plate curls.
Also did some circuit training, that was a long time ago, need to do more stuff like that. Did Vulcan grippers closes > Inch Trainer 58 kg to bench > Blockbuster timed hold > 2" neutral grip pull-ups.