Tendonitis Log

Fist of Fury

8 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

Your volume is intense and definely enviable. I'm surprised that you don't take more rest than what you do anyway.  It will be good to take a rest from grippers for a little bit and not even look at them, just pretend that they don't exist.

High volume is actually the only thing that has ever worked for me with grippers, unfortunately. CBT is not high volume but it gets very intense at the end. Looking back at it now I should've had one day with a wider set, credit card maybe and one day with 20 mm block. Doing everything with 20 mm block was really difficult.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've changed my plans. I've realized that in order for me to keep progressing with grippers I actually need to put them down for a while, maybe for a year or so. My hands are simply not strong enough to progress like I want to and keep squeezing grippers won't make them stronger. The gains I've made the last year is mostly technical and neuro gains not really any pure muscular gains in the forearms and hands, just a little but too little for me to be happy. My goal is to close big grippers in the future so I need to think long term now. Also my right wrist does not feel good and it's from doing too much grippers and neglecting other stuff.

I have decided to focus less on grip for a while and the grip training I'm going to do is mostly pinch with the Euro pinch and with the Inch trainer and the rolling thunder. I also going to focus a lot on back strength, like deadlift and rows and also the axle. When I feel that I've made solid gains I will pick up the grippers again. By that time I really want to surpass my current strength level by a large margin.

Today I tested to see where I'm leaving off, so I did:

5 reps with the #2.5, both hands.
3 reps with the light #3 with right and 2 reps with left.
30 reps with the light #2 with right and 20 reps with left, with 20 mm block.

I tried these lifts last week:
2 hand euro (63 mm) is around 70 kg.
Rolling Thunder is little above 70 kg with left and 69-70 kg with right.
Inch trainer is around 60 kg with both hands.
Shallow Hub 2H Key Pinch - Did my best lift a week ago at 30 kg.
Shallow Hub pinch - sucks, 15 kg with right and a little less with left. (15 kg feels incredibly easy and 15.25 kg feels impossible :laugh )

Best lifts since earlier this year:
DO axle is 125 kg but I think it's slightly more right now.
DO deadlift is 160 kg - lots of room for improvement here, going to buy a cage soon so I can start doing rack pulls, the rack I have now is rated too low.

• Like 1

I've had two good workouts in succession now, I can't even remember when that happened last time. I'm not going to log so much in detail here now since I log on paper. But I will log my progress here at least.

This week I've done squats and deadlifts twice and some dumbbell rows. Did some Euro pinching and rolling thunder today, pinch felt bad but RT felt good. Also tried the 2H key pinch again and got 30.8 kg. Then did some holds with 80% of that. Did lat pulldowns and bicep curls, then some tricep work with dumbbells. Bicep curls felt good but wrists hurt quite a lot. I'm also using the fatgripz extreme for some dumbbell cleans.

Going to try my 12-15 rep max with rolling thunder next week. Hopefully it will be a little bit more than 60 kg. Going to try with 63 kg I think.

I have made a plan for the coming month, I will start this next week after I have tested where my max is with grip.

Workout 1

• Deadlift
  • DO Axle Hold
  • Squat
  • Overhead Press
  • Reverse Curl
  • Rows
  • Lat Pulldown

Workout 2

• 2H Euro
  • Inch Trainer
  • Dumbbell Cleans
  • Dynamic Pinch
  • Plate Wrist Curl
  • Behind The Back Wrist Curl
  • Vulcan Light Set Practice

Workout 3

• Deadlift
  • DO Axle
  • Squat
  • Overhead Press
  • Chest
  • Biceps/Triceps

I chose the overhead press because of my right wrist doesn't like dorsal flexion very much, so I don't want to overload it too much. I'm choosing to do the heavier wrist curls behind the back for the same reason.

Light set practice with the Vulcan will keep my setting strength and technique intact, so I don't need to re-learn this when I start with grippers again.

• Like 1

Good plan! But you should defenitly put squats first. 

44 minutes ago, Jörg Keilbach said:

Good plan! But you should defenitly put squats first. 

I'm doing Zercher squats and I find it to be very difficult to pull heavy after I've done them. I need too much rest for that.

Ok i thought you will do regular squats.

2 hours ago, Jörg Keilbach said:

Ok i thought you will do regular squats.

I would if I were able to do them properly. Might have to find my way to a powerlifting club and take lessons. Sometime when I have time and money. It clearly is not something that comes easy to me, same with bench. The deadlift and shoulder press seems to be the only of the big ones that comes naturally for me. At one point my military press was almost 90% of my bench lol :D

Was going to try some reps with the Rolling Thunder but I decided to try the LGC handle first, got some air with 62.5 kg with left. Right hand was much weaker, wrist are actually stronger but the thumb and fingers are not as strong in that hand, got 57.5 kg with right. Also made a solid lift with 58.5 kg with left. I can probably lift 60 kg with left. Then did some reps with 60 kg with RT and got 11 with left and 8 with right. Which is okay since I was fatigued. So I will work from 70/69 as 1RM when I start using the RT in my training. Also tried some sledge deadlifts but wasn't feeling strong, good thing is that my strength level was the same as my old PR's, around 60 cm with a 10 lbs sledge. "Only" 20 cm left of the handle :cool

I will try 2H pinch later next week.

Tried the 2 hand euro pinch today, hands were not fully recovered from thickbar last week so I only got a solid lift with 71.5 kg. Got some movement with 76.5 kg. My goal for the coming months will be 80 kg. Will start pinching more later.

I also ordered an Inch Replica which I plan to do drills with once a week when I get it. 

Making some changes, will try plate curls on friday instead, I might have to do them on monday. Today's workout (#2) was much harder than I expected, I'm doing dumbbell cleans with fatgripz extreme and it was way harder on the biceps than I expected. So I will try them on friday next time when I do biceps. Reverse curls on monday (#1) was also difficult but I will leave them there for now. Squats and deadlifts felt good.

I will also remove 2 hand pinch and do 1 hand pinch instead. I noticed during warmup today that I'm able to one hand pinch the default weight easily on the euro now, which I wasn't able to do when I first started using it. Left hand is significantly stronger so right hand doesn't get the right stimulus when using both hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost two months since I trained with grippers now and it's such a relief. I'm feeling very good, not only the hands but my CNS feels good as well. I'm not sure if I'll ever pick them up again. I probably will though, since they're addictive :D

I replaced all the axle work with the adjustable thick bar, doing four sessions of squats and deadlifts was enough for me, need something lighter to work with. Rows are the hardest workout for me now. I will put those in the beginning instead from now on. Bicep curls feels much stronger now, most likely because I'm doing a lot of dumbbell rows.

Will change to doing squats three times a week and deadlifts once a week next month. Increasing the intensity on the deadlifts.

• Like 1

17/05/24

Grip only today and I decided to test grippers, pinch and thick bar. Only testing the grippers and training the others. I started with grippers and it didn't seem to affect my workout at all which is good. Nice to know how it feels if I ever decide to enter a grip competition.

Grippers
Right: COC#3 153 lb - Almost, not too far off, pretty solid attempt considering I only got 6 hours of sleep last night.
Left: GHP 146 lb - One solid close.

1 Hand Euro Pinch
26.5 kg x 4/3
26.5 kg x 4/4
31.5 kg x 1/partial
27 kg x 1x10s/1x8s

Inch Trainer
46 kg 3x7

FGX Dumbbell Deadlift
48.7 kg x 1
48.7 kg x 1
48.7 kg x partial/1

Dynamic Pinch with RBA
2x15

Plate Wrist Curl
5 kg bumper x 15/12

Behind the Back Axle Wrist Curl
40 kg 3x12

Vulcan Light Set Practice
5-5: 2x3, 6B-5F: 1x3

Only one heavy day left then I have to deload. I'm thinking of doing the RSR for the squats and start do heavier cleans with the FGX. I will also add 2-hand key pinch and the brutalizer handle in to the routine. I will remove dynamic pinch and plate curls.

• Like 1

Got a new dynamometer from SilaRukov the other day and today I was able to do a bodyweight squeeze with right hand (101.4 kg), I'm going to test my strength with this device once a month or so from now on.

I'm changing my program for the coming six weeks to this. I'm going to stick with three days a week for a while since I feel that my recovery is better that way.

Workout 1

• Zercher Squat (RSR)
  • Block Weight Pinch
  • Core
  • Shoulders
  • DO Deadlift
  • Overhead Press
  • Lat Pull-Down
  • Supination & Pronation
  • Hammer Curl/Concentration Curl (Alternating each week)
  • Triceps

Workout 2

• Zercher Squat (RSR)
  • Shallow Hub Two Hand Key-Pinch
  • One Hand Euro Pinch
  • Brutalizer Handle
  • Dumbbell Cleans
  • Radial & Ulnar Deviation
  • Sledge Hammer Front & Rear Choke
  • Vulcan Set Practice
  • Wrist Developer
  • Fingerwalk

Workout 3

• Zercher Squat (RSR)
  • One Hand Euro Pinch
  • Adjustable Thick Bar/Wrist Wrench (Alternating each week)
  • Shoulders (Isometrics)
  • Dumbbell Row/Barbell Row (Alternating each week)
  • Overhead Press
  • Supination & Pronation
  • Behind The Back Axle Wrist Curl
  • Reverse Curl

A lot of grip and wrist work but I will keep the intensity and volume low on most exercises. I'm going to attempt heavy weights on the ATB/Wrist Wrench, still keeping the volume low, maybe two or three heavy lifts. The rest of the grip work is going to be much lighter. Block weights will mostly be blob drags because my pinch is weaker than a 10 year old girl's :D
Dumbbell cleans will be with FGX and I will do 6x2 with the same weight for all weeks.

Arms are still growing, slow but steadily. Upper arm is 41 cm and lower arm almost 36 cm, flexed but not pumped. Left is behind a little bit. Biceps and forearm flexors are fairly well developed but I need to work the triceps and extensor muscles more, especially the triceps. Gains are ok I think, I started at 31 cm, don't know about the forearm but probably under 30 cm. I have not gained much weight since then, around 8-10 kg's. 

Legs are also growing since I started to do more squats, I've gained about 3 kg's the last 3-4 months and I don't feel fatter than before, which is good.

Did a test with the dynamo again today and almost got 102 kg. Need to put it down now for a while. Right hand feels fresh but left hand doesn't seem to tolerate the same abuse right now. Might be because of too much two hand pinching, where I pinch much harder with left. I don't know :unsure

New PR in Double overhand deadlift yesterday, 165 kg. Slowly making progress but it's good because I have not lifted any heavy weights the past two months, never more than 135 kg. Will try: 1x10, 1x8, 1x6, 1x4, 1x2 for the coming five weeks and see how that works. Will add in some speed work with lighter weights also. Not sure where to start but I'm thinking of 75% and then increasing with 5% each week. I also ordered a power cage so I can do rack pulls, hopefully it will improve my DO deadlifts. Lock-out is definitely the weak part of the movement.

Almost got my York Fatman 40# to lock-out today. Pinching with the Euro seems to work since I haven not been able to budge this thing off the ground before. Right hand is weaker but I can get a little bit of air with that hand as well.

I have to start my new training regime next week instead because I have been busy setting up the new squat cage a bought and re-arranged my gym completely. 

Delivery company called earlier today and told me I will get my steel inch next week. Going to use some sort of bands to deload it and blobs for my training.

Tried the Vulcan with my left hand yesterday since I didn't have anything better to do. Missed level 15 with a hair, right after missing 10-10 with the orange spring, also with a hair. Didn't do anything with my right hand but I doubt I could even set level 15 in my right hand, left arm and shoulder is too weak.

• 2 weeks later...

Training is going well at the moment but holy crap RSR is tough, I barely survived 6x4 today, I'm definitely not looking forward to 6x6 haha :D I'm really happy that I'm only doing one working set of deadlifts a week while doing this.

Blob work is also going smooth, it has become mostly air drags now so I'm going to use a board and do incline drags next time.

Tried the adjustable thick bar for the first time in a very long time last week and pulled 87.5 kg easily, could have lifted more but I stopped there. Deadlifts and pinch seems to carry over well to this exercise. However I noticed at this weight it's starting to become a back exercise for me. So I really need to keep focusing on dumbbell rows.

The only thing that doesn't feel good at the moment is overhead press. I've lost a tremendous amount of strength in this movement. I'm having a hard time with 40 kg at the moment, in the past I was working easily with 60 kg. It might be because I do more zercher squats and deadlifts now, I'm not sure.

I'm dropping the Euro Pinch and I will use the blob and the 80 mm block instead on day one and three. I'm not used to train with blobs so my thumb pads gets really sore. I'm having a hard time to even train one handed with the euro because of it.

Thick bar is going very good, feels like I'm getting stronger each workout.

Tried the Wrist Wrench today and got 37.75 kg with both hands which is a PR. More proof that my training is working since I have not done any heavy thick bar lifts in over two months (except with the adjustable thick bar once), so base strength is improving. Fatgripz extreme and pinching definitely helps.

Still making progress with thick bar. Got 96.7 kg today on the adjustable thick bar and 94.4 kg with left hand. I realized today that this lift is more technical than I thought. Radiant tension is very important. Hopefully I can make a body weight lift sometime this year. Which should be possible, BW was 102.7 kg today with clothes and shoes on.

Also did some supination and pronation with the heavy hammer. Reps with four 1 kg plates. Getting stronger with this one too.

• 2 weeks later...

Was not testing good with deadlifts today, worked up to 180 kg but it felt bad so I stopped. Did 165 DOH again, also felt bad, did use other plates this time so it might have been more actual weight than last time though. 

I think volume is too low for the deadlifts in my routine. It might be beacuse I do a lot of squats also, probably a combination of both. I will rest from squats and deadlift for a month now, I will do variations of these exercises with lighter weight for a while and more bodyweight exercises. I will also bend nails for a month and see where it takes me. No thick bar but I will do some light pinch. I also have lots of new grip toys, I will add one day with  V-lifts but only light weight, will use the Meat Hooks and Horne Top for that.

Blob work is also weak now, it's like I'm getting weaker every week. Might be because the Blob is too heavy for me and I'm not used to it.

12/7/17

Decided to try some bending and then later some grippers today. I woke up with a very stiff and aching back so I skipped the full body workout I had planned today. Will do 3x3 squats on friday instead. 

Did some work with the wrist developer and almost got the highest level with the orange spring with left hand. I had a tremendous ache in my right forearm, probably from doing some bending last week. 

Tried a 6 mm x 7" stainless steel bar with suede wraps and got it to around 25 degrees. I can bend these with the ironmind pads but the suedes is a bit more difficult. I only bend with the pads touching also.

An hour later I did some grippers and it actually helped me get rid of the ache I had in my right arm. Made an attempt on the GHP rated at 150 lbs and almost closed it, might have been closed, was hard to see due to bad video.

Then I did two reps with a lighter GHP7, could probably get more reps with this one if I'm fresh.

Dropped down to easier grippers and finished with five reps on the GHP 131#.

Also did some block set closes with a Grand Master a month ago. This gripper is much easier than the 150# rated GHP, rating is only a pound less but the sweep is very spongy so it's very easy to get a good set with.

17/7/17

Going to write a short-story now because today was a very good day for me. I finally closed the COC#3 (153 lbs) from a wide MMS set and it was with a slight overcrush! Totally destroyed it, best feeling ever.

I did not film this and I think that is one of the reasons I closed it so easily. You get more room to do whatever you want when you're not trying to capture the close on video.

The day started good, I actually slept good. Then I ate some pasta and drank a big cup of coffee, which I very rarely do (feeling bad now because of the caffeine haha :D )

Then I had planned to do some squats and bending. I tried a 122k rated bar from WoG to see how far I could get. Not to much action there, just a slight bend and my right arm was aching like hell haha :D

Squats felt good, not squatting much weight, just a little bit more than my own bodyweight, Zercher's are kinda brutal on the arms also :) Using weights that are under my capability really but my goal here is not to become a powerlifter so it doesn't matter.

Then I did some seated shoulder press, very strict and slow reps. I did grippers in between sets of these:

Trainer speed closes 10 reps.
COC#1 speed closes 5 reps.
COC 104 lb speed closes 2 reps.
Zoeun Sports (approx 120 RGC) speed closes 2 reps.
Tetting T6 140 lb this became 1 speed close!
COC#3 153 lb domination!
COC#3 153 lb filmed this but missed with less than a mm.
COC#3 153 lb filmed this as well, was 1-2 mm off from a very wide set. Tried a wide set intentionally.
COC#3 153 lb left hand attempt, 1 mm off (this surprised me as well).
LT#2 3x7 reps 38 mm block set with left hand.
COC 104 lb 3x7 reps 38 mm block set with right hand.

Super happy with the progress, way better than I expected. I haven't really trained grippers since march. I've only tested them a few times. So that means that the other training I've done has been good. I will train grippers for a month now but only light ones. Then I will start with pinching and thick bar again. This is how I'm going to do from now on until it doesn't work anymore.