Under the Spotlight - Grip Profile - Chad Woodall

anwnate

Today's profile features Chad Woodall.

I'm not really sure where to begin.  When you try to introduce someone that Richard Sorin says "is like a son to me," you better not screw up.  Because he's not very active on the Gripboard, there are probably a number of new gripsters that don't even know of him.  Which is plain nuts. 

Chad's grip is world class.  You don't get invited to the prestigious Mighty Mitts Grip Contest year after year without the ability to compete with the best.  He is the only person I have even heard of nearly locking out 2 PAIRS of Old Yorks Pinch at the same time.  I pretty much don't have to say anymore…but I will. 

He was the second person (next to #4 closer Dave Morton) to reach the top of the Mashmonster Ladder (at the time) and successfully close the MM #6.  Red Nail Roster, Captain of Crush, Benchpress and Strongman competitor, he has held National, European and World records in events like Grippers, Dynamometer, 1" V-bar and Farmer's Walk.  I was pleased as punch he decided to participate in a Profile.  Simply put, the man is a grip goliath.

chad final profile.jpg

7 questions to get to know Chad.

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, height (in/cm), weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (in/cm), country, city (or region…whatever you are comfortable with), married/single, kids, occupation ("international spy" is acceptable)

Gripboard Name: "Too Tall"

Height: 6'6" (198cm)

Weight:  300lbs (136kg)

Hand:  Right hand dominant 9" (22.86cm)

Relationship Status:   Married

Kids: 1 daughter, 3 step sons

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

I started training grip as part of my regular workout routine in 2003.  I got interested in grip after I competed in Tennessee’s Strongest Man in 2003.  I met a man by the name of Dave Morton there and he was destroying the CoC grippers!  I tried the grippers and I could close the #1 and I was about a 1/8” from closing the #2.  I was a little frustrated that I could not close the #2…so I got to work immediately and I bought the Trainer through the #4 set. I started my journey from that point.

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals?

Before I die I would like to 2HP 285#’s in a sanctioned contest format.  I have done this in training…but the other is yet to be proven.  Hopefully one day soon.  Also I would like to get back on the MM ladder and see if I can close the 7 and 8 and possibly bend the Gold nail under the IM rules.

4. How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

I train grip once a week.  I dedicate at least 90 minutes to that grip session…which includes working the crush, pinch and thick bar.  I train total body the rest of the week on a split routine.  Chest/Back, Legs/Shoulders, Arms, Grip, and Strongman event training (I still actively compete in strongman at the Masters level).

5. What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

I enjoy playing basketball, watching the Walking Dead series and spending time with family and friends.

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

Hard work will pay off for you!  And when setting training goals for grip or whatever…make sure you set the goals that you can see in your sights first!  Then you can make your progression to the ultimate grip goal.  I use to make the mistake to go after the ultimate grip goal too early.  I would fail, get discouraged and over train.  Now I realize that those baby steps are important along the way and that your retention of the grip feats is better by taking the baby steps route.

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

Jedd Johnson

Thanks Chad.  Jedd will be profiled in two weeks.  This series will return next Wednesday with Bob Sundin.

• Like 17

Chad, it's awesome to know that You still train and have such great plans concerning grip!! Work hard, bro!! :rock:rock:rock

• Like 2

Chad is an absolute SPECTACLE to behold!  And a super nice guy to boot.

He is very hard on backyard basketball hoops though....  ;)

• Like 5

Nice read! Wish you the best in your goals. Now to Read Bob and Jedd!

Chad's a beast - no doubt about it.  He's also a heck of a nice guy.  I'd love to see him at Gripmas again (that's a hint big guy) :)

• Like 1

Hell yeah! Thanks for taking the time Chad. Would love to see you at a comp again.

- Aaron

Another great interview from a legend of grip

Chad, what can I say! I great friend and one of the very best grip strength guys WORLDWIDE!

I'm one of the newbs who didn't know he even existed. TBH he doesn't get very much mention around here. For someone who has accomplished what he has I find it appalling he isn't mentioned more.  It's also interesting to note his grip training is ONE day and involves pretty much all grip types. Many top notch gripsters do splits or huge spreads. This guy has one day he does and some how manages ungodly strength. This is my favorite write up to date. 

Thank you all for the awesome comments. I hope to compete in a grip comp this year. Thanks again.

Chad 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2016 at 1:04 AM, KapMan said:

I'm one of the newbs who didn't know he even existed. TBH he doesn't get very much mention around here. For someone who has accomplished what he has I find it appalling he isn't mentioned more.  It's also interesting to note his grip training is ONE day and involves pretty much all grip types. Many top notch gripsters do splits or huge spreads. This guy has one day he does and some how manages ungodly strength. This is my favorite write up to date. 

There are many strong people who are quite in grip world. Clay, Morton, Rob,...etc

22 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

There are many strong people who are quite in grip world. Clay, Morton, Rob,...etc

I understand, I'm just saying that how am I supposed to know who any of these great gripsters if they don't make themselves known or someone like anwate profiles them. I love learning about people and how they do things. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I understand, I'm just saying that how am I supposed to know who any of these great gripsters if they don't make themselves known or someone like anwate profiles them. I love learning about people and how they do things. 

It's all part of the journey man.  I'm almost 5 years in...and STILL learning about the different era's of grip and bending...from strongman to today.  

There are a ton of topnotch guys out there who's journey has either become (or never was...Chris James, Nathan Holle) that public.  While it's always a learning process, our need for knowledge (and hence interaction) is greatest when we begin.  When you have the time...back up that search button to the early years.  You'll find many top gripsters and benders were on here and have moved on to a more private journey. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KapMan said:

Our sport is new but there have been many very strong people who have come and gone in this pretty new Sport of Grip.  If they won't come to you - then you'll have to go to them.  How far back does the Gripboard go now?  It might be fun to go back to the start and read some of the old posts - back when the #3 was a BIG deal and the Blob was considered nearly unliftable - the Red Nail was a big deal and the Inch DB was only done by a very few monsters in the world - it really was a different time.  We've come a long way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KapMan said:

Our sport is new but there have been many very strong people who have come and gone in this pretty new Sport of Grip.  If they won't come to you - then you'll have to go to them.  How far back does the Gripboard go now?  It might be fun to go back to the start and read some of the old posts - back when the #3 was a BIG deal and the Blob was considered nearly unliftable - the Red Nail was a big deal and the Inch DB was only done by a very few monsters in the world - it really was a different time.  We've come a long way.

10 hours ago, KapMan said:

You can dig through the Mash Monster profiles and then search the board for content about them or from them. 

Guys like: Nick McKinless, Rob Vigeant, Clay Edgin, Josh Dale, Kevin Bussi, Theo Burggraaff, Teemu Ilvesniemi, Wes Peart, Paul Knight, Mike Rinderle, Adam Glass....  Those are just names that jumped out at me. And CHAD WOODALL :D

• Like 1

Man Chris I miss the old days

• Like 1