Competition Plates

anwnate

Hiya.

I am planning a competition in 2017 that will coincide with Hulshof's family trip to the US.

A vacation/trip that big is a pretty complicated process so there isn't a ton of leeway on the date. 

Currently, the most likely date would be Saturday July 15th.  Hopefully I'll be able to nail down...so no other contest will conflict with it.

With that in mind...I'm seriously considering replacing my motley Craigslist collection of plates...with Competition Plates.

I'm hoping to pick everyone's brain.

1.  How much weight in total (minimum) would be ideal (reasonable...not dream world) or needed for both a comp and regular training?

2.  Does the brand REALLY matter...IF they are certified/calibrated comp. plates?

3.  What's the best bang for your buck?

4.  To those who own them...what am I forgetting to ask?  What kind of things do I need to look out for or avoid?

Thanks so much for any responses.

• Like 4

Nate what events were thinking of running, that would be a big factor in how many plates you'll need. If your doing 2 hand axle you'll need more than 3" crusher

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom Scibelli said:

Nate what events were thinking of running, that would be a big factor in how many plates you'll need. If your doing 2 hand axle you'll need more than 3" crusher

Hmmm.  Great point.  I suppose I'll need 550lbs plus the bar...in case Mike Burke or Chris James show up for the Axle.  Ok...question 1.is done.  Thanks.

• Like 1

You could just postal scale your current weights or do you just want a nice new set of competition plates?

Why buy competition plates for one contest?  Just do what Chez mentioned.

Also, like Tom said, it's gonna depend on what events you choose.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

You could just postal scale your current weights or do you just want a nice new set of competition plates?

Yeah I know...I was just super impressed at gripmas  with how easily the axle went.

Jedder...who said anything about just one contest? ;)  

I'm not 100% on pulling the trigger...but I've been rolling it over in my mind for a while now.

• Like 1

Be ready to drop $3-$5K for a full set of Eleiko's where you have lots of change plates.

Also you might need to replace some stuff like your bar since international comp plates don't fit on everything we have here.

If that kind of money doesn't mean much to you then go for it. There are a lot worst things I can think to spend that kind of money on.

I have thought about it alot myself cause my I just hate all my plates being off.

So I'm in the process of drilling out and milling out all my plates that are heavy to get them with in 20-30 grams of the numbered weight and then after that all my weights that are light will get lead I think.

• Like 1

I went with Elieko, grabbed over 300kg worth. I recommend getting the change plates also.   I really wanted a nice set, plus if someone like Jedd ever decides on a trip to Wisconsin he could give me a proper lesson in  plate pinching.

• Like 2

Also talk about holding value, you could always sell comp plates in a second for what you paid for them.

• Like 1

Ive found this site sells the cheapest calibrated plate in the US

http://bumperplates.com

theres only really three company's selling in the US. titex and Ivanko are more expensive.

eleiko also sells calibrated pound plates which are cheaper than their kilo plates, they also look cool, chromed out

Rogue also sells bumper plates cheaper and they are still within 10 grams of claimed weight, so while not officially calibrated, they would still work for grip comps

• Like 2

Gripmas - the Bumper plate set we used is Andrews.  They were Eleiko Competition Bumpers and change plates.  The Axle plates could easily be steel though and you'd only have to buy one set of of plates with multiples of some sizes of course.  All my plates are "regular" steel that have been weighed at the Post Office - a pain but it only has to be done one time and it's good forever.  If you plan to use Competition Plates for the Euro - you will need multiple 10 kilo and smaller - not in bumpers but in steel as bumpers are too tall for the Euro.  So you're looking at some serious money.  I have always wanted a Competition Bumper set but unless I hit the lottery it ain't a gonna happen.  You'll need to load in a certain order to match the chart you will have to make up if you used mismatched plates etc.  You can of course borrow equipment from others - lots of the stuff at Gripmas each year belongs to Jedd - Andrew - Nick etc.  And they would have charts etc all ready to go. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

I have looked at these many times.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-competition-plates

Weight Tolerance: +/- 15 grams of claimed weight

I have seen those and they look fairly reasonable price wise. Not sure of the tolerance required for grip sport but they look like a good option. Rogue has very good shipping (speed and price) and they do a lot of deals. equipment is always great quality also. The price for the other brands just seem ridiculous to me. I know I lot goes into them etc but its just weight. 

Edited by Chez

I have a set of Eleikos with change plates and enough 10kg plates to run the Euro event up to WR weights. I have had them a few years now and still absolutely love them and rarely use my regular plates anymore. I used my credit card to deal with the cost aspect and am probably still paying on them. I would do it again too. Shipping was a big hit on them coming from Chicago to Tucson via freight. Might be less where you are. I believe I got mine through bumperplates.com and the guy I worked with over the phone and email many times was awesome. We were able to get the price down a little I think and I was able to get the freight setup through bid on uShip I think it was where it just comes to local depot where I went and picked up the pallet of plates. Still was over $3K though. I have 4x 25Kg, 2x 20Kg, 2x 15Kg, 8x 10Kg, 2x 5Kg, 2x 2.5Kg, 2x 1.25Kg, 4x .5Kg, 2x .25Kg

They will outlast my lifetime and whichever of my daughters goes into athletics like I did will get them in my will, and they will still be beautiful plates.

The Ivankos were nice too but I just couldn't get behind them since the 10kg plates and under were not the correct colors.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 7

48 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

I have looked at these many times.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-competition-plates

Weight Tolerance: +/- 15 grams of claimed weight

Shipping is included in those sets also which is awesome

Just now, Chez said:

Shipping is included in those sets also which is awesome

Those are nice and they would work on the Axle but you would still need smaller diameter steel plates on the euro.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, acorn said:

Those are nice and they would work on the Axle but you would still need smaller diameter steel plates on the euro.

Ya, I thought about that. I guess it depends on what events you are running. The diameter wouldn't matter on something like the flask. I would probably only buy the larger plates for something like the axle and getting lighter and smaller diamter for the Euro. Those are jump bumpers after all. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

most people won't care for the type of weights they are using, but i can tell you that once you start working out with Calibrated plates you wouldn't want nothing else. I'm being to dramatic there, but in all sincerity Eleiko or Ivanko calibrated plates are gorgeous. I have a few 20kg ivankos and 2 25kg red eleikos. if i had 4k to spare i wouldn't hesitate to buy more. I live in in Socal california, and the Ivanko company is just about 40 mins from me, i asked them if i could pick up the plates and save on shipping, and they sure agreed. rarely someone will be getting rid of theirs on craigslist offerup. 

• Like 1

I know somebody who wants to sell a complete set of competition plates.  Contact me, @anwnate

• Like 1

Sweet.  I'll hit him up.  THANKS.

Crapmonkeys...he sold em already.

• 4 weeks later...

These just got posted. They are not for sale yet but I assume they will be the same price or cheaper then the other stuff out there or at least have better shipping since its Rogue.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-calibrated-kg-steel-plates

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

These just got posted. They are not for sale yet but I assume they will be the same price or cheaper then the other stuff out there or at least have better shipping since its Rogue.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-calibrated-kg-steel-plates

Thanks for the heads-up!