Under the Radar - Grip Profile - Jared Goguen

anwnate

Today's profile features Jared Goguen.

Jared is another newcomer to grip.  He recently acquired some competition experience at "The Southern Squeeze."  The TSA decided to pull him in the back room during both legs of his flight due to his traveling with his traveling companions...grippers.  It's a good thing he didn't have his profile picture with him at the time.  They might not have let him board. 

Speaking of which, you'll be able to tell from his EPIC pic that he's got a great sense of humor.  Going into this profile I knew very little of Jared except that Gil, Maria and Sharkey had given him a stamp of approval. 

I was very pleased to find that he's a kindred spirit of mine.  Life can be pretty overwhelming, and Gripsport more than anything has helped keep me centered these last 4 years.

I know I will not be the only one in Grip that will identify with Jared's experience.  I'd like to thank him for being willing to share his story with us.

Jared Profile pic.png

7 questions to get to know Jared.

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, height (inches/meters), weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), country, city (or region…whatever you are comfortable with), married/single, kids, occupation ("international spy" is acceptable)

Gripboard Name: "Jared Goguen"

Height: 5'9” (175cm)

Weight:  185lbs (84kg)

Hand:  Ambidextrous 7" (18cm)

Relationship Status:   Single cat owner pretty much sums that up...

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

I think my path to find the world of grip is a little unique, back in April of 2014 I spent most of my time drunk, depressed, angry, lonely, and driving a massive amount for work, I had one those rubber donut squeeze things in my truck and squeezed it so many times that in cracked and broke. I started to look for a replacement and that's when I found Captains of Crush, I ordered the .5 and when it came I couldn't close it to save my life.

Not knowing what to do with it really or how to get better with it, I started Googling and found the Gripboard.

Finding the Gripboard was a very transformative for me.  It opened my eyes to the world of strength training, powerlifting and Gripsport.  Before that, I had never touched a weight my whole life.  Once I started strength training and communicating with all the (amazing and supportive) people on the Gripboard, my life started to greatly improve.  For the first time as an adult I didn't feel like crap anymore.

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals?

I'm still very much so in the beginner / intermediate stage with my grip training but I would love nothing more than to lift the Inch, and get my name on the Mash Monster list.

4. How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

In the past my training has kind of been all over the place…thickbar and deadlifts, pinch and bench, squats and gripper.  In doing so I saw a lot of progress.  Currently I want to focus on my grippers and see some "real" progress now that I have a good base of strength to work with.

I really want to focus on my long-term health and strength. I'm not getting any younger and I started down my path of strength training rather late in life compared to most.

5. What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

I feel like there might be too many to list here.

I love bird watching, wood working, welding, designing machines, gardening, permaculture, sustainable and primitive living skills, land works projects, fabricating, and firearms of all kinds.

Every year I like to partake in the Audubon's Great Backyard Bird count.

I also plan on doing more long distance hiking trips…like the 2600 mile Pacific Crest Trail. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Crest_Trail

I know one of the most noticeable things about me would be the large amount of tattoo work I have.  For me, it's a good experience to sit, for say… 6 hours, feel a large amount of pain, and walk away from it knowing that I can handle it.  Currently I'm planning my left arm sleeve and to get my neck wrapped.

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

“Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.” I try my hardest to live by these words and sit back and listen.

For me, the world of grip, and the Gripboard has been a huge help in dealing with my drinking, anxiety, depression, and PTSD.  It has given me a health focus and pursuit in life.  The friendships I have made here with people like Jedd, Gil, Maria, Mr. Sharkey, and Aaron (to name a few) mean more to me then what I have the vocabulary to convey. 

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see?

I would really like to see Bob Sundin's profile.  I think, pound for pound, he is one of the strongest guys in grip.  The work he has done with his pinch and inch training is nothing short of amazing.  It's great to see what can be accomplished…regardless of overall size.

Thanks Jared.  Bob will be profiled in two weeks.  This series will return next Wednesday with Chad Woodall.

• Like 22

Great profile Jared, always at hand to help out with questions and the youtube reviews are wicked!

• Like 2

YES! So great to read this friend. Birds Birds Birds.

Jared is a great guy and will do great things in both grip and life. He's always reached out to help me when I needed it and we also share a love of our feline masters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sam Radford said:

Great profile Jared, always at hand to help out with questions and the youtube reviews are wicked!

Thank you, I have really enjoyed my YouTube Channel, and I'm glad others do as well.

12 minutes ago, MCrushetta said:

YES! So great to read this friend. Birds Birds Birds.

You could almost say that bird is the word!

9 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

Jared is a great guy and will do great things in both grip and life. He's always reached out to help me when I needed it and we also share a love of our feline masters.

Thank you!

• Like 2

Dude, great profile.  I enjoyed reading it.  Can't wait to miss you.  Still SO MUCH wishing I went to the Southern Squeeze.  Darn it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Dude, great profile.  I enjoyed reading it.  Can't wait to miss you.  Still SO MUCH wishing I went to the Southern Squeeze.  Darn it.

I'm going to try really hard to make it to one of your contests this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

I'm going to try really hard to make it to one of your contests this year.

How far are you from Spokane again, buddy?  That'd be easiest, I'd imagine.

Just now, Jedd Johnson said:

How far are you from Spokane again, buddy?  That'd be easiest, I'd imagine.

A days drive or a very short flight. There a contest happening in Spokane? I don't think I have seen anything posted.

Just now, Jared Goguen said:

A days drive or a very short flight. There a contest happening in Spokane? I don't think I have seen anything posted.

Yes, it's on DieselCrew.com

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Yes, it's on DieselCrew.com

Ill think about it, my lower back and deadlifts with a normal bar or axle have always been a problem but Maria has been giving me great physical therapy advice and my lower back has been feeling pretty great these days.

• Like 2

Just now, David Mitti said:

Excellent read!

So glad things are going in the right direction for you now.

Thanks.

They really are, life can and has been really hard for many of us here and I think taking some of the lessons I have learned in training and applying them to other aspects of my life has been really beneficial.

I mean if you can train your body week after week, you can also do it with you mind and become a better person in other aspects of your life.

• Like 3

Great read Jared....keep up the good work and like to see the progress you have made. I'm also very jealous of your drift tricycle!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jared Goguen said:

Ill think about it, my lower back and deadlifts with a normal bar or axle have always been a problem but Maria has been giving me great physical therapy advice and my lower back has been feeling pretty great these days.

Great reading your profile, Jared!  I'm more than likely going to be at the Spokane contest and it would be awesome to meet you there.  Hope you can make it.

• Like 2

Also for the record I'm not really that small, I just so happen to have one of the largest domestic cats ever.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

I'm also very jealous of your drift tricycle!!

I'm going to get some video of that sometime.

• Like 3

Very cool write-up!  Glad to hear you found an outlet with this stuff, as many of us have over the years.  I don't know what I'd be doing if not for grip/bending etc.  And awesome picture.  I have huge cats too ... all 20lbs.+  LOL

• Like 2

great profile Jared, inspiring story and also interesting hobbies and what an awesome picture! If I ever visit Portland again I'll let you know! Do the same if you ever come down to SF.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

great profile Jared, inspiring story and also interesting hobbies and what an awesome picture! If I ever visit Portland again I'll let you know! Do the same if you ever come down to SF.

You always more then welcome in my gym here in Portland!

• Like 1

Very nice write up. It is really nice over the past years to see the gripboard and the grip games/strength sport helping people get over their life problems. Well done Jared and hope you achieve your goals

Rusty is one of the grip guys from the other side of the country that it is a must that we must train/compete together one day.