Narrow and wide grippers.

vickg

Do you guys like to use different width of gripper to train or prefer to be consistent? Can you use a more narrow but harder grippers to bridge gaps or is it better to use the same gripper of same width until you can master it. Like always advice greatly appreciated fellas. 

First I didn't like to use narrow grippers because they didn't make me much stronger with wide sets but now I use both but I have filed most of my narrow grippers, using them for over crushes and the wider grippers for block (1.5") and CCS. And also for set practice.

The good thing with narrow grippers is that they are usually very easy to set (even the heavy ones), so it makes over crushes easier to perform.

Edited by Fist of Fury

The most important thing to me was always a reasonable next goal gripper strength, almost no matter what brand or narrow/wide features. 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2016 at 11:04 AM, vickg said:

Do you guys like to use different width of gripper to train or prefer to be consistent? Can you use a more narrow but harder grippers to bridge gaps or is it better to use the same gripper of same width until you can master it. Like always advice greatly appreciated fellas. 

I focus on regular width grippers because that is how my goal gripper is (MM1). But I do use narrow grippers sometimes to bridge gaps. Those tend to be slightly easier to set but to me as difficult to close as their RGC equivalent. I also like to train from 20mm choked position which is another way to train for closing a goal gripper. For example , you'll be able to close a #3 choked from 20mm before you can close it MM set. 

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

• 1 year later...

What widths are considered normal, wide & narrow?

I'd say that "narrow" is under 60 mm.

What is normal totally depends on the brand. Some Barabans which are not labeled narrow is in fact narrow if you compare to Ironmind and GHP. 

I'd say that "wide" is over 75 mm.

1 minute ago, ImpGrip said:

i ordered a narrow rb gripper and ts literally the same width as my other normal rb gripper ??? dont get what the narrow means?

His grippers are very inconsistent. Springs vary a lot.

is the spring sposed to be narrower  not the handles?? i was looking for something with narrower handles but these are the same width as every other gripper i have 

7 minutes ago, ImpGrip said:

is the spring sposed to be narrower  not the handles?? i was looking for something with narrower handles but these are the same width as every other gripper i have 

If you have a gripper that is labeled "narrow" then it is narrow. If it's the same with as standard gripper, that means that gripper is more narrow than it's supposed to be.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

If you have a gripper that is labeled "narrow" then it is narrow. If it's the same with as standard gripper, that means that gripper is more narrow than it's supposed to be.

@ImpGrip What is the width of the "narrow" gripper?  The other guys mentioned it, but in my experience with hundreds of grippers "narrow" is anywhere from 2" to 2 and 5/8".  Usually 2.25" to 2 and 5/8".  I have seen RBs that are 3 and 1/8" wide and as narrow as 2 and 1/8" wide. 

33 minutes ago, ImpGrip said:

No, narrow on an RB only means the handles are supposed to be closer together than their standard gripper width - which is from my experience anything from 2 and 3/4" to about 3". 

I have around 70 grippers from different manufacturers. Just picked out 7 grippers randomly and measured them:

RB70 - 61 mm
RB180 - 73 mm
RB210 - 77 mm
GHP6 - 74 mm
GHP7 - 75 mm
COC#3 - 75 mm
Vulcan - 95 mm

All of these grippers are standard grippers except the Vulcan which is a adjustable gripper. RB70 is definitely very narrow and weak, even my little sister can close this one and she's does not train at all and she's very thin. Vulcan is definitely a very wide gripper, it's super difficult to set this gripper. The RB210 is a little above normal I would say, or "high normal". The spread of the gripper is usually also a good indicator of how difficult it is. This RB210 is a hard one, probably a little above 130 lbs RGC. GHP7 and COC#3 are normal, they rate 150 and 153 lbs.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Anemptybox said:

I have a LT CoC#3 that I think is really wide. Measured it now and it's ~79 mm. RGC 153.

Yeah, those have been consistently wide for IM grippers. 

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:39 AM, bencrush said:

@ImpGrip What is the width of the "narrow" gripper?  The other guys mentioned it, but in my experience with hundreds of grippers "narrow" is anywhere from 2" to 2 and 5/8".  Usually 2.25" to 2 and 5/8".  I have seen RBs that are 3 and 1/8" wide and as narrow as 2 and 1/8" wide. 

I agree with this.  Many of the narrow SPECTRUM grippers we sell vary in widths.  The are all, generally, narrower than a standard RB which can push 3".  But most of them are around 2.5" which is not quite as narrow as a standard Silvis gripper for example. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cannon said:

Yeah, those have been consistently wide for IM grippers. 

Definitely!  Have a coworker that measured an LT #3 (with me watching) at 81mm spread.  Not rated, but probably in the mid-150lb range I'd guess.