Filing Service Preview

Cannon

We've been experimenting with our filing set-up and are almost ready to launch. Here are some images of the planned service. This shows the amount of filing, the angle and what the filing will look like. The other handle will always land on the flat surface near the end of the handle no matter which hand you're closing the gripper or whether you put the filed side in your fingers or your palm.

post-9552-0-26763000-1454424707_thumb.pn

• Like 10

This is great.

Do you also give an indication before the filling what kind of change you can expect to the RGC?

That's a really good question. We'll collect data for sure, but as of right this second I was so focused on getting things set up that I have not rated any of them before filing :blush

Matt, what about file and return?

Yeah, we'll probably offer that too eventually. I just want to get the process down to an exact science first. If I mess up a new gripper then I can scrap it and start again. But if you send something in and something goes wrong then that would suck. The process we developed is probably 99% fool-proof, but I want to be sure.

I think it would be an important service, though, because I believe that filing grippers is an excellent way to keep your entire collection more useful. You can file grippers that have gotten too easy and won't be used anymore.

This is awesome! So, if someone adds on the rating service, and filing to a new gripper, would you do the RGC before filing, and after as well?

Generally the rating would just be taken after because it's not like you can go back to the other number. But for a while I'll probably do both just to get data on how much the filing adds on average.

• Like 1

This is awesome! So, if someone adds on the rating service, and filing to a new gripper, would you do the RGC before filing, and after as well?

Generally the rating would just be taken after because it's not like you can go back to the other number. But for a while I'll probably do both just to get data on how much the filing adds on average.

Yea, but would still be nice to know both depending on how you were going to use it. Since it's added ROM, I'd still like to know how it rated taking it through the normal ROM. (before filing) Just a thought though, this sounds great either way!

Edited by pburke23
  • Like 1

Great services from CPW as usual!

one thing I've been wondering with filed grippers: is it harder to close a let's say a 140lb filed gripper vs a regular 140lb same gripper because you have more range of motion to cover? I haven't noticed much difference myself but I haven't trained with filed grippers more than 140lb to test my limits on them.

If you knew before and after, you could just add play doh to the filed side back to the original handle dimension. Be a good way to track progress too if you can't close fully to the filed surface.

one thing I've been wondering with filed grippers: is it harder to close a let's say a 140lb filed gripper vs a regular 140lb same gripper because you have more range of motion to cover? I haven't noticed much difference myself but I haven't trained with filed grippers more than 140lb to test my limits on them.

In general I would say 140 filed will feel harder than 140 regular. Kind of like how 140 smooth handles is harder.

But also I think this depends entirely on how often you train BTR. Historically, I did a bulk of my training on filed grippers. When CPW created the Hybrid grippers, I found that I lost almost nothing on my max despite the added range of motion. But true 5/8" Tettings were harder for me because they went even farther. This is what I adore about BTR training. It establishes a new "normal" for closed in a way that has devastating transfer back to regular grippers.

• Like 2

In general I would say 140 filed will feel harder than 140 regular. Kind of like how 140 smooth handles is harder.

But also I think this depends entirely on how often you train BTR. Historically, I did a bulk of my training on filed grippers. When CPW created the Hybrid grippers, I found that I lost almost nothing on my max despite the added range of motion. But true 5/8" Tettings were harder for me because they went even farther. This is what I adore about BTR training. It establishes a new "normal" for closed in a way that has devastating transfer back to regular grippers.

Yeah it's funny how the brain gets "surprised" when you close a normal gripper after some weeks of BTR training.

If you file a lot it really becomes incredibly difficult. I have a COC#1.5 that I've filed a lot and it's very difficult to close entirely, I don't think it would rate that high but the last few millimeters are very difficult.

Matt,

Did you ever try filing down a Hybrid gripper for the ultimate in BTR?

Btw, good luck with the snow. My mother was supposed to fly out to your neck of the woods but all flights were canceled from philly

Dang I should have filed one. Now I feel like the couple I have are cherished possessions. I'm still kicking myself for not keeping like 2 full sets of these.

That storm was all hype. We only ended up getting 9 inches. School wasn't even delayed for my kindergartener. 😂

I ordered my first two filed grippers today! I hope you soon sell prerated filed IM grippers. I would love to order them in 5 pound steps from easy # 2 to heavy # 3.

• Like 2

Cool service. Your file jobs look better than mine. :)