Developing A Strong Handshake

Platinumt85

You can expect that after years and years of training your hands the way we do and you do meet a jackwagon that wants to mash your hand, he will notice that it feels like he is trying to crush a 2x4 . He will give you a moron look while at the same time say to himself, "holy sheeeit"

So work your hands hard and give 'em a 2x4

In the words of Randall Strossen,

"Squeeze harder".

In all seriousness, Eric probably made the best post in terms of handshake, and I'm paraphrasing:

"A good handshake should be the equivalent of closing a COC Trainer."

Thank you to all of those who tried to be helpful and understood where I was coming from. I never thought this would be so misinterpreted or chastised/belittled by so many people. First of all, as I stated, I am not a bully, nor am I a sadist who wants to hurt people. In my mind it's not that much different from wanting to learn a martial art- most people who take martial arts classes don't really want to hurt anyone, but they have that ability if need be. Also, I guess not a lot of people actually read the new member introduction topic because as I stated, and will re-state, I am not new to grip training and I am not young. I am 30 and ordered my first COC grippers from Ironmind in 2000 when I was about 15. I got out of grip training for a long time but got back into it at the end of 2013. I just thought it was a legitimate question to ask, but apparently most of you would rather have me asking how deep I should set my grippers when training or what style wraps work best for double overhand bending. I'm sure those questions have already been asked too, but I doubt I would have gotten quite as many sarcastic answers as I have on this topic. But it's ok, as I've seen how some of you, even some considered the "more respected" members, treat new members. I doubt I'll be posting anymore, except on the "wanted" and "selling" sub-forums, which is the main reason I joined anyway. I'd hate to ask another "stupid question that has been asked before." I have been thoroughly reminded of why I quit posting on message boards in the first place, some 15 years ago. I don't need this bullcrap in my life. To those who understood, thanks. To the others, keep in mind that being strong or good at certain feats of strength does not mean you have good character. That is all. Later.

it's a funny topic man, especially how you talk about it in that first post, people telling you "that's all you got"? I think it's funny and entertaining to read, and it's expected to get responses that are funny too. That doesn't make you or anyone a bad person. You even said it yourself "I know his may seem like a stupid topic/question". I wouldn't take it personally. Keep posting. This community makes grip training a lot more interesting. You are missing out if you stop posting for something like this. Personally I'd like to see you closing a 2.5 wide set, that's no joke and you'll get more respect from the members here that don't know you. Not that it matters but if you really care what people think here (it sounds like you do) then it's reasonable to say that if they don't know you it's harder to take you seriously when asking things like how to train for handshakes. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I also posted this pic for another handshake thread. Don't offer your hand with your fingers all stacked tidy like you're going to slap your lady's butt.

Spread your fingers so when you wrap up in the hand shake it's more like you're grabbing your lady's butt. You'll have a more advantageous position to firm up during the shake.

gallery_9552_555_239643.jpg

That's big thumb knuckle you got there lol

Last 3. Fingers is important

Index means "nothing" in handshake ....

Try lift blob in just 3 fingers without index finger and squeeze gripper or imtug with last 3 fingers....

If you use grip machine try use just last 3 fingers...

PS. I had friend, he had small hand but one the strongest handshake what I was feel.... he was joiner

, he told me he cut nails in Windows with pliers....

Edited by pawel r
  • Like 1

One more thing, Kody Burns world record holder in 2 hand pinch and the best plate pincher with one hand too. He lifted 2 25's kg like no nothing. He met with Jon Jones and gave him.a good squeeze. The quoted text are his writing on his Facebook wall page

"Ran into former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion of the World, Jon "Bones" Jones today at Santa Monica Pier. Spoke with him about Grip Strength and some of my World Records and he grabbed my hand and said, "Let me see what you got," as he grabbed my hand in a handshake and started squeezing pretty hard. I explained how critical and valuable grip endurance is for fighting. He gave me a good solid 20-25 seconds of squeeze as we battled for hand supremacy. He finally tapped out and I gave him a little extra squeeze to let him know who he was dealing with lol. He said if I ever wanted to come train with him he would make it happen. Might just have to let him kick my ass sometime. I told him once I get these hands on him he's in trouble lol. He was a great guy and talked with us for almost 10 minutes. I got a little something special in the works that I can't speak too much on at the moment, but was able to speak with him on it and he was interested enough to ask for my number and told me to call him when I'm ready to roll so he could help me out !!! Unfreakin-believable !! Chance of a lifetime opportunity in the works with Jon Jones !! All I can say is God is amazing !! Very thankful !!"

So this tells training pinch will be very useful too

• Like 1

That's big thumb knuckle you got there lol

Yeah, my thumb really really REALLY wants to be at a right angle to my hand at all times. It's hard for me to flatten out my hand (like press my palm and fingers flat on a table).

• Like 1

I have friend with great handshake.. But when I was gave him coc2 he was can't squeze....

Seriously...

Edited by pawel r
  • Like 1

I have a 57 year old active police chief friend that has resumed training with me. A state wrestling champ ,grew into a 6'5" 350 lb public servant that for years would run with the bloodhounds. In his earlier work of serving warrants he politely offered his phone to the reall baddd dudes saying" are you coming along like a man ,or would you like to call 911?"

He soon switched to powerlifting and coached him to a raw 600 squat 620 deadlift and 410 bench. Trim , very scary ,and if you "live "through shaking his hand you will NEVER forget it. A natural extension of the friendly beast he truly is. It is so overwhelming a grip and so painful it feels like your bones are being fractured. I greeted him yesterday and my 3 outside fingers are just starting to work again. I wonder how his grip would correlate with grippers or a Dyno.?

Other than my NFL coach friend" Big Baby" Rob Phillips I have not ever received a natural handshake of such magnitude!

Would like to know what his results are. But in my opinion it will be very rare to find anyone to out number your dynos like big mutant Dave. He did 290 pounds on the baseline and 130kg on the old Baraban dyno? That's more than Nathan Holle did on the same dyno. But Nathan was very strict and arms at 90 degrees with 125kg of pressure.

Would like to see the big Russian who broke the bench world record to squeeze both the baseline dyno and the Baraban dyno. He while setting down toyed with a 3 and wide set of a 3.5 (he sets a bit with his thumb only) and did the same with the 4 and was very near.

Edited by Alawadhi

difference in position between grippers and handshake

this make huge difference in power

gallery_10117_623_252915.jpg

Edited by pawel r