Wrist Wrench Vs Rolling Thunder

Jedd Johnson

WW Replicas

• Like 4

Yes...pm me if anyone is interested for details.

Those look really nice! What size is the smaller one, Luke?

2" (1.9") and 2.375"

• 1 month later...

Built myself a Wrist Wrench earlier today and did a training session with it:

WW_01.thumb.jpg.43f1976ae6183ef3c1a08e99

Best lift was 32.5kg each hand. A bit surprised I couldn't manage a bit more - I thought I'd get 40kg no probs . . . . but that turned out to be delusional.

A few observations:

• Way harder/different than a revolving handle of a similar diameter.
  • Went with galvanized pipe simply because that's what I found first.  Overall a lot of fun to build.
  • The rotation and torque are quite similar to that encountered with an Inch DB.
  • If you're training to lift an Inch you should seriously consider buying or making a WW. If you're not into building stuff and you have a loading pin I reckon you'll find it worth the money.
  • Using the handle "backwards" made for an easy thickbar lift. I got 77.5kg each hand - and only stretched the straps a little (it pays to over engineer stuff!)
  • Not sure what affect hand size has with this lift. There's a pic in my gallery showing my hand size in relation to the handle. Smaller hands and/or shorter thumbs could make for a really hard challenge.

All in all I think it's a great piece of grip training equipment and I intend to make both a 60mm and a 75mm PVC version - once I've trained with the handle an little more and worked thru a few design/build improvements.

This handle is definitely being incorporsated into my training - one or more toys will be getting the cold shoulder I'm afraid. My thumbs a going to get even more of a thrashing !!!

Dave

• Like 5

I been working with wrist wrench for about a month, fascinating thing I managed 85 lbs on it, it seems like 100 is elite on it so I'm 85% there, meanwhile on the axle yesterday I managed 287 pr, failed 302 twice, that's nowhere near 85% of elite numbers.  Neither are my pinching numbers.

• 1 year later...

Is there a general consensus on what kind of texture is allowed for a wrist wrench replica? I have one that I have made which is 2.375 inch diameter with smooth steel as the handle. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to adding some grip tape to the handle? Or would this make any lift on it questionable because of the added tape?

Adding tape would IMHO make it an easier lift - particularly if it's say a thickish duct tape.

Based on my experience, a smooth steel handle makes for a higher degree of difficulty than PVC.  This can of course mean slower progress - but I like it that way.

I find the handle needs to be wiped down regularly after a few lifts as the skin oil and sweat can make for a lot of slippage.  I won't use chalk for this lift.  Allowing a chalk build up on the handle would defeat the purpose of the lift.

56 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

Is there a general consensus on what kind of texture is allowed for a wrist wrench replica? I have one that I have made which is 2.375 inch diameter with smooth steel as the handle. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to adding some grip tape to the handle? Or would this make any lift on it questionable because of the added tape?

I have the original wrist wrench and it has a lot of texture/ grit to it.

Thanks @Donc101 and @gripmaniac I've tossed around the idea of adding some tape to the handle but have been torn because I don't want it to be viewed as making the lift easier.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

Thanks @Donc101 and @gripmaniac I've tossed around the idea of adding some tape to the handle but have been torn because I don't want it to be viewed as making the lift easier.  

I agree on not adding chalk or tape. I have a Luke Raymond steel replica and I love it. Lift 100 pounds total and most likely you can lift the inch. Thats how it worked out for me at least.

The original WW made by Mike Cochran (not his idea but the name is his idea) and was made from 2 3/8" OD sch 40 pvc and a texture paint was applied to the outside. I use galvanized pipe to make my version and paint with the same texture as the original which honestly doesn't make much difference for overall lifting ability. I've done 100.6# on bare steel and 100.8# on the texture paint. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2016 at 6:29 AM, gripmaniac said:

Built myself a Wrist Wrench earlier today and did a training session with it:

WW_01.thumb.jpg.43f1976ae6183ef3c1a08e99

Best lift was 32.5kg each hand. A bit surprised I couldn't manage a bit more - I thought I'd get 40kg no probs . . . . but that turned out to be delusional.

A few observations:

• Way harder/different than a revolving handle of a similar diameter.
  • Went with galvanized pipe simply because that's what I found first.  Overall a lot of fun to build.
  • The rotation and torque are quite similar to that encountered with an Inch DB.
  • If you're training to lift an Inch you should seriously consider buying or making a WW. If you're not into building stuff and you have a loading pin I reckon you'll find it worth the money.
  • Using the handle "backwards" made for an easy thickbar lift. I got 77.5kg each hand - and only stretched the straps a little (it pays to over engineer stuff!)
  • Not sure what affect hand size has with this lift. There's a pic in my gallery showing my hand size in relation to the handle. Smaller hands and/or shorter thumbs could make for a really hard challenge.

All in all I think it's a great piece of grip training equipment and I intend to make both a 60mm and a 75mm PVC version - once I've trained with the handle an little more and worked thru a few design/build improvements.

This handle is definitely being incorporsated into my training - one or more toys will be getting the cold shoulder I'm afraid. My thumbs a going to get even more of a thrashing !!!

Dave

One of if not THE BEST portable thick handles I have! You can do so much more than deadlift it. I use it for preacher curls and seated wrist static resistance. Can’t say enough good about it. Trashes you quick. I can’t use it more than once per week

Is the WW a good training tool to help the rolling thunder?

Like if you spend a couple months using the WW and improving on that your rolling thunder will go up?

9 minutes ago, db2000 said:

Like if you spend a couple months using the WW and improving on that your rolling thunder will go up?

Manny grip implements are very specific. If you want to get good at a certain implement you have to train  on the implement. The wrist wrench is very good for training for the inch dumbbell as it mimics the action more than a rolling handle would. It definitely would not hurt your rolling thunder ability that’s for sure! I like it much better than rolling handles for overall Open Hand strength and wrist strength.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, db2000 said:

It will help you with the grip of course but to lift heavy on the RT you need a strong upper back as well. So while you use the WW I would suggest that you train your upper back as well, with deadlifts and/or rows.