Wrist Wrench Vs Rolling Thunder

Jedd Johnson

I

Like everything it depends on the goal. I'm sure Jedd covers the Crusher along with other Inch training devises.

My 0.02$

If your goal is to lift a 173 Inch dumbbell and your going to use a rolling handle as a primary training tool it's going to look a little like this.

Rolling thunder you'll need to pull a lot more than 173.

2.5" Crusher going to be close to 173. Almost pound for pound but I would guess you should have a high 170's low 180's pull to be safe.

WW will be a lot less than 173.

I would say Andrew is dead-on re: crusher.

What I've told people is a good proxy for an Inch lift(depending on what they're using to train):

WW: 100+

Crusher 172+

Axle: 210 1H to knee height

RT: too much variability, depending on the age of the RT. Would have to try a brand-knew one to get an idea.

In my Inch Dumbbell DVD, I give approximations for all this equipment, as well.

Your best bet for lifting the Inch, of course, is to train on the Inch. None of this other stuff will help you nearly as much as training on the Inch. Price will be too much for some, I understand. It's just the fact of it. I don't want to make anyone think that buying any of these tools and getting any specific number will absolutely translate to an Inch lift. There are many more factors aside from handle rotation to factor in.

In talking with Mike Cochran, the maker of the WW, he said they are currently out of stock, but I believe all of the sales go through the Wrist Wrench fan page on Facebook.

Just ordered one from him, Jedd. He said it would be out this week.

Cool. News to me. In that case, they will be available on my site sometime very soon as well.

Thanks for posting this video, Jedd.

You're welcome.

It's crazy that people would charge $60 for this...you can make your own for less than $10 for PVC or steel. SMH!

• Like 1

This individual has been in the Arm Wrestling sport for many years now ...right?

YES, you are right...

http://en.armpower.net/article/en/examples-of-exercises-using-strapped-handle-3793.html

This individual has been in the Arm Wrestling sport for many years now ...right?

YES, you are right...

http://en.armpower.net/article/en/examples-of-exercises-using-strapped-handle-3793.html

I could be incorrect but I believe he originated the handle with the straps like the WW in his Arm Wrestling training facility in Poland. I recall he has 2 models he used before this newer one came out. I first looked at his site over four years ago. He does have some good looking stuff. Training equipment that is

Edited by zcor

It's crazy that people would charge $60 for this...you can make your own for less than $10 for PVC or steel. SMH!

It's convenience, and not everyone has a tinkering skill set.

I think it's ridiculous that a euro costs as much as it does. Such is the nature of things.

I think it's ridiculous that a euro costs as much as it does. Such is the nature of things.

Materials for the Euro cost more than you think...and cutting round steel plates is not cheap along with requiring more skills than making a WW replica. The % margin on the WW is at least 2.5x that of the Euro.

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 1

Materials for the Euro cost more than you think...and cutting round steel plates is not cheap along with requiring more skills than making a WW replica. The % margin on the WW is at least 2.5x that of the Euro.

Be that as it is, I would argue that someone with the skill set and tools could make one from home both from wood or steel just as well as make a WW. Hell, I'm waiting for a 3d printed versions of many of these devices its only a matter of time.

Cost is cost and grip implements that are popular and weight alot will cost more its just the way it is am I right? Niche market.

YES, you are right...http://en.armpower.net/article/en/examples-of-exercises-using-strapped-handle-3793.html

I could be incorrect but I believe he originated the handle with the straps like the WW in his Arm Wrestling training facility in Poland. I recall he has 2 models he used before this newer one came out. I first looked at his site over four years ago. He does have some good looking stuff. Training equipment that is

True....

Now It's 4 models....

Edited by pawel r

YES, you are right...http://en.armpower.net/article/en/examples-of-exercises-using-strapped-handle-3793.html

True....

Now It's 4 models....

Ok. pawel' would you know if he is indeed the first guy to use these devises and or invented them?

True....

Now It's 4 models....

Ok. pawel' would you know if he is indeed the first guy to use these devises and or invented them?

I was see this type of handle in his website first time.....

$60 does seem a little steep - but as already mentioned the convenience factor will get many over the line.

Personally I know I can build a similar (but slightly modified) handle for not very much. The only question is a PVC or metal gripping surface.

I assume fellow tinkerers would face the same design dilemma. . . .or. . . . just make both . . . . .OMG. . .my problem is solved! :D

• Like 1

Convenience is one thing, but a standard implement I think is more important to a lot of people, and that's really how you justify the cost.

• Like 1

$60 does seem a little steep - but as already mentioned the convenience factor will get many over the line.

Personally I know I can build a similar (but slightly modified) handle for not very much. The only question is a PVC or metal gripping surface.

I assume fellow tinkerers would face the same design dilemma. . . .or. . . . just make both . . . . .OMG. . .my problem is solved! :D

I have both PVC and steel in both 2.375" and 2" sizes!

There is no standard as there are multiple companies making these type of handles (Wrist Wrench, guy mentioned above, and Silarukov) all of which are slightly different. If it becomes a common event in contests then that will have to be determined but until then train with whatever you can get your hands on.

I have both PVC and steel in both 2.375" and 2" sizes!

There is no standard as there are multiple companies making these type of handles (Wrist Wrench, guy mentioned above, and Silarukov) all of which are slightly different. If it becomes a common event in contests then that will have to be determined but until then train with whatever you can get your hands on.

I nominate Lucasraymond to build a PVC model and have it as the Gripboard standard for contests competed in by the members here. The specs of how to build it can be given on the board for members to make a trainer. The Lucasraymond model can then be sent to the contests and used as the standard. Hell Lucas, I will even pay you for the material :)

Edited by zcor

That is fine with me, I prefer the steel handle personally but I would be game with for either or...only $20 each

Edited by Lucasraymond

Without having tried one yet I think PVC might actually be a more suitable option - that slight bit of give could well help engage the wrist just that little bit more (ie. make it slightly harder).

That's the theory anyway - I'll compare my #'s when I've built and trained on both for a while.

That is fine with me, I prefer the steel handle personally but I would be game with for either or...only $20 each

Good deal. I suggest a proposal to the Gripboard Records keeper and request this tool be recognized as a standard for GB members that compete in the various contests through the year. Contest promoters can then decide to have it as an event at their venue.

PVC might be the best choice as it is an easier material to make for trainers.

Edited by zcor

The WW has a gritty texture. How can you produce the same on your pvc?

Since the WW is not the standard, there is no need for a gritty texture. The point, is for Lucasraymond to make one for

contests competed in by Gripboard members as the standard. Not all members can or will pay $60 for a WW. So, one can be made and distributed to contests. According to Lucas it is simple to make. Therefore, members that will go to contest where the GB wrist tool is a featured event, can make their own trainer. It is a very simple process. According to Lucas, his wrist strap functions identical to the WW. All this idea is is to go around the expense of the WW but have the tool as an event for contest.

To not have debates about it, the Moderstors can pass or void the idea.

We have our own MM grippers for our own certs. Why not have our own designed WW

Edited by zcor

I think it comes down to cost of materials as well as the ease of working with some materials over others. Crushers and V bars are solid steel, whereas wrist wrench appears to be plastic and nylon.

• Like 1

Since the WW is not the standard, there is no need for a gritty texture. The point, is for Lucasraymond to make one for

contests competed in by Gripboard members as the standard. Not all members can or will pay $60 for a WW. So, one can be made and distributed to contests. According to Lucas it is simple to make. Therefore, members that will go to contest where the GB wrist tool is a featured event, can make their own trainer. It is a very simple process. According to Lucas, his wrist strap functions identical to the WW. All this idea is is to go around the expense of the WW but have the tool as an event for contest.

Moderators are not all NAGS decision-makers, are they? AFAIK these things are discussed behind by NAGS, not by GB mods collectively. I don't know why you're so interested anyway, do you compete?

Why do you want something with shitty texture like typical PVC to be used, anyway? IMO, all this will do is reduce the ceiling for the top lifters and narrow the overall spread of scores from top-to-bottom. The regular WW holds chalk and has decent texture. I would be willing to donate a "real" WW for NAGS events. I think it would be a good event to lift the WW to a standard height.

• Like 3

Moderators are not all NAGS decision-makers, are they? AFAIK these things are discussed behind by NAGS, not by GB mods collectively. I don't know why you're so interested anyway, do you compete?

Why do you want something with shitty texture like typical PVC to be used, anyway? IMO, all this will do is reduce the ceiling for the top lifters and narrow the overall spread of scores from top-to-bottom. The regular WW holds chalk and has decent texture. I would be willing to donate a "real" WW for NAGS events. I think it would be a good event to lift the WW to a standard height.

Just opening up talk for a solution. Hell you can take a 2.5 inch smoothed oak wood dowel, brad nail a couple of nylon straps to it and it would function the same LOL. No since in getting butthurt about it. What is that old saying? I forget..Blah blah trees or whatever

Edited by zcor